replacemaent engine and gearbox

fulhamsteve

blaven - 2019-12-11 5:40 PM

pagey - 2019-12-11 2:07 PM

there maybe a chance that a transit engine and box will fit subject to size also have you put a post on the fiat forum there are some good techs on there

Try fiatforum.com

Steve hasn't confirmed, but I suspect that his van is probably Peugeot Boxer based and, if so, the Fiat forum won't be much help. I think the 1.9XUD engine and transmission are unique to Peugeot/Citroen (PSA) vehicles, and are not shared with Ducatos. It would be useful to have confirmation.

It’s certainly the case that secondhand gearboxes advertised as being suitable for Peugeot Boxers with a 1905cc motor are available abroad (examples on this French link)

https://www.opisto.fr/fr-FR/auto/pieces-occasion/boite-de-vitesses/peugeot/boxer/page-1

and (as David says) if the code of the Steve’s is known, it may be possible to obtain one relatively cheaply that might be acceptable to a UK gearbox rebuilder to allow an exchange to take place.

Installing another motor and gearbox that matches the specification of Steve’s 2002 originals would involve a lot of work (plus the cost of the replacement motor + gearbox, of course) and attempting to install a non-matching gearbox (let alone a non-matching motor) is, realistically, a non-starter.

The man that rebuilt Steve’s gearbox (charging £2800 for the task) apparently will take no responsibility for the problem that occurred shortly after the gearbox was reinstalled, nor investigate why the rebuilt gearbox failed other than to say that he found it was empty of oil and that Steve was just “unlucky”. As Steve won’t consider taking legal action, it’s not easy to see how he will be able to get his motorhome back on the road without incurring further large bills, nor how he will be able to recover the money he has spent up tlll now.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

hi all and once again I thank all for your helpful comments/advise. my repairer has refilled the gearbox and took it for a 10 mile run. its running well, with a few gears crunching, (possibly the Teflon coating on the gears damaged) today I am taking it on a test drive, to listen for any noises, whining, ect. the clutch is fine. if im happy theres no banging and clattering, we are going for new gear sets, and a good look at any other possible damage. it would appear, I havant done as much damage as I thought, maybe.

I ran about 20 to 25 miles without oil, mostly in 5th gear.

further updates to follow.

steve.

Archived