Failing gas regulators?

davew-s

Hi there,

If this has already been covered I apologise, but has anyone out there been affected by a regulator failure on a caravan or motorhome due to blockages?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

This forum's SEARCH capability is hardly eye-grabbing and it's easy to overlook it.

To retrieve the postings Mel refers to, go to the 'Welcome Box' towards the top right corner of this web-page and click on the 'Search' icon. Now type "regulator failure" (omitting the quotation marks) in the Keywords box and select "All posts" from the Date limit selection lower down. Now click on Submit.

Guest starspirit

At this stage this is more about sharing information and in my humble opinion we should help this gentleman develop and get his products to market if we can.

It is in all of our interests to encourage competition in the leisure market if only to let the big players realise that they do not have a monopoly.

Many contributors on here have a wealth of technical and engineering experience and many others (like me) just have a wealth of practical experience allied to a modicum of common sense.

When it comes to offering goods for sale, other perhaps than as prototypes for evaluation and live testing this is indeed not the place.

Totally agree, I do think that it is difficult to draw a balance between openly advertising and to make people aware of possible new developments and i think this sites moderators appear to draw a very professional line, this sort of thing just doesn't happen on web sites where income appears to rule over help and advice to users ?

Guest starspirit

Splitting block?

I have a two way 'splitter' on my regulator (it used to be a gaslow dial and twin bottle adapter until the dial began to leak gas so I unscrewed the dial and soldered up the hole).

The dial never was much use anyway as being in the gas locker you can't see it and it is usually fairly obvious when the gas expires.

It enables me to connect both cylinders to the regulator at once so that when one expires all I need to do is nip outside (usually in my pj's whilst raining) to quickly shut the empty cylinder valve and open the full one.

Just make sure you don't leave both valves open or you will run out completely.

Prior to the bulkhead regulators I had both bottles with regulators fitted and feeding low pressure gas into a 'T' piece and on into the van which did the same job just as well and in 30 years of using the same system (new low pressure hoses every couple of years) it never ever gave me any problem whatsoever.

Progress?

So why doesn't one of you email Dave privately, get the details and then post an unbiased report back here. How about you, StarSpirit.

SOLDERING

Starspirit, you mentioned soldering the gas pipe. May I gently - in case anyone else gets the equipment out - point out the need for care? And, if soldering on the high pressure side, it probably ought to be 'silver soldered'.

But it's always a bit worrying when you find a gas 'bit' leaking, isn't it?

Mel E

====

Guest starspirit

Thanks Mel. I screwed a brass blanking plug into the hole, cut the head off flush and soldered over just for good measure. On that basis I figured that as a gas containment medium solder is at least as strong as rubber hoses?

My mark one gas detector (nose) has not niffed a nasty niff since.

OK Mel, I'll email Dave and see whether my limited technical knowledge can help him to help us.

Afternoon all,

After a good discussion with Starspirit I can confirm that I am going to set up a website with detailed explanations and pictures showing all of the possible items that will help. The aim is to make the process as straightforward as possible as we all know it can be very confusing with all of the different products out there all claiming different things.

All caravanners and motorcaravanners (and boat owners) will be able to get exactly what they need and what they may need to resolve the gas regulator problem.

I will (if acceptable to you all) post this link once its up and running to allow you to comment and maybe even buy what you need.

Its true that many feel that just by moving the regulator to above the cylinder that the majority of the problems will be resolved, but I have heard that there are still instances of it occuring despite the reg being moved. How common this is, however, is unclear.

The point I was trying to make is that our new stainless hose will not only eliminate the problem of plasticisers due to taking the rubber out of the equation and they last 5 times longer, which most people will prefer. I have been promised a price on the individual items and the full kit in the next day or so, so will post it on here as soon as I have it. I apologise for the delay. Prices will however be significantly lower than those currently available.

Your comments again are most welcome. Hope you all had a great weekend, by the way.

Dave

Guest starspirit

Dave is afraid of being accused by some of exploiting this forum for commercial gain so I will save his embarrassment and tell you that his website is (url removed - OAL Moderator) .

Whilst these new leisure products are not yet on the site at least you will know where to look in due course.

I have no financial interests and Dave has not even offered me a bribe!

By the way, in answer to previous confusions, the 'splitting block' that I described so badly before could also be known as a 'distribution block' - or in laymans terms that even I understand...the bit that splits the gas off to its various destinations within the van.

Does that make any more sense?

Sorry for my lack of terminology!

Dave

Archived