My drink problem!

Chanel5

My wife loves a shot of Cointreau or Benedictine or Drambuie, or if none of these, Baileys Creme - when we are out in our M.H..

Her husband hates paying for them.

Being as we are going to France for a month next Saturday, can anyone recommend any cheap, good quality 'foreign' equivalents?

I'm sure that I am amongst like-minded friends on this forum, so I am optimistic for an answer.

Thanks

David

Guest Frank Wilkinson

The national drink of France is Pastis, a licorice-flavoured spirit, which is absolutely delicious. A popular brand is this country is Pernod but there are many others in France.

Drink it with some water and ice but be careful!

www.day-tripper.net will give you 'a gateway' (after several years retirement i can still speak manager... ise) to shopping in Calais.Most of it is in English.

I notice that the Auchan site www.auchanboulogne.com (click beverages) gives a listing of UK's top take home drinks with comparative prices.

I hope your wife finds something to enjoy.

N

enodreven - 2007-03-01 6:02 PM

Hi,

Have you checked Lidl's, Aldi's or Netto's they appear to have a wide selection of alternative brands of most types drinks ? and you will find one of these stores in most towns in France.

Brian

Here in Spain, Aldi do a good Bailey's clone. It's called O'Galwan, Irish Cream Liqueur. It costs 3.95€ about £2.80. The 'real' Bailey's here is about 14€.

Chanel5 - 2007-03-01 4:52 PM

My wife loves a shot of Cointreau or Benedictine or Drambuie, or if none of these, Baileys Creme - when we are out in our M.H..

Her husband hates paying for them.

Being as we are going to France for a month next Saturday, can anyone recommend any cheap, good quality 'foreign' equivalents?

I'm sure that I am amongst like-minded friends on this forum, so I am optimistic for an answer.

Thanks

David

Benedictine and Cointreau ?? how much more foreign to want to get ?????? you're going to France *-)

but I don't see how you can put Baileys in the same sentence as the others.

B-)

Thanks for your valued responses to my problem.

Brian and Derek I will try some of Aldi's O'Galway - that's the sort of price I like!

The wife's already rejected the Lidl and Tesco equivalents to Bailey's so I am a bit cautious because she gives it me to finish off - an English ale supporter!

Nick's idea of using Auchan and buying the real brands does sound to be in the right direction. I have looked on the Auchan site and they seem to be much cheaper than UK Sainsbury's and cheaper than the ferries too.

Also, I thought they only had Auchan in Bolougne and they are all over Europe, so I have learned a bit more.

You are right Twooks, Bailey's cream is not in the class of the others.

David

David

Isn't strange how some threads never really take off, but as soon as someone says "Drink" the responses come "pouring" in!

If you're keen on a specific drink that's only really popular in the UK, I agree that you're best bet is to stock up at the supermarkets near the channel. But while you're over there, experiment. The French are really quite good at drinking!

Frank is dead right about Pastis - wonderful stuff, but it needs to hibernate. You see, it never tastes right in the UK except out in the garden, in the very warmest weather. We always bring some back, but as soon as the best of summer is past it goes to the back of our drinks cabinet until late spring, when we get out the garden furniture again.

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-03-01 8:31 PM ................. Frank is dead right about Pastis - wonderful stuff, but it needs to hibernate. You see, it never tastes right in the UK except out in the garden, in the very warmest weather. We always bring some back, but as soon as the best of summer is past it goes to the back of our drinks cabinet until late spring, when we get out the garden furniture again. Tony

Sorry to amputate some of your post, Tony, but on pastis (Pernod, Ricard etc) two things. 

1 Never, never, overdo it on this stuff, and don't drink it neat!  It is quite evil and seems to have the unique (in my experience) characteristic that as you begin to sober up you become very thirsty.  When you gulp down the water, you seem just to release more of the alcohol into your system, and off you go again!  May appeal to the excessively thrifty, (pisched twice in one session!) but it does make you feel evil afterwards!

2 Superb hot day aperitif: one measure each of Pernod and "syrop de grenadine" (pomegranite juice, which is common as dirt in French supermarkets etc, though rare in UK) in a long glass, ice cubes, and top up with water.  Superb!  Called a "tomate pernod".  You'll see why when you add the water!

Another superb aperitif: Pineau des Charantes.  It is grape juice to which brandy has been added to stop any fermentation, and then matured.  Lots of storys about the origin, popular in the Charante departments, but generally available over a much wider area.  About the same strength as vermouth, and very drinkable.  Drink chilled from the fridge.  Go for the slightly older ones, at least over three years, as the flavour definately improves with time.

Brian Kirby - 2007-03-02 10:54 AM

Another superb aperitif: Pineau des Charantes. It is grape juice to which brandy has been added to stop any fermentation, and then matured. Lots of storys about the origin, popular in the Charante departments, but generally available over a much wider area. About the same strength as vermouth, and very drinkable. Drink chilled from the fridge. Go for the slightly older ones, at least over three years, as the flavour definitely improves with time.

agreed - definitely gets our vote, discovered it a couple of years ago B-)

Great replies team.

As someone who once drank for England, I have been down the bar and tried Pernod in the past, but I recall that it was a 'harsh' experience.

Perhaps then it was indoors during an British winter, it's so long ago that I cannot remember.

So thanks for more good tips. I'll let you know how the tomate pernod and the chilled, 3 year old Pineau goes on.

I cannot wait to try these out, feel like a child at Christmas!

Thank you all,

David

I certainly recommend the anised aperatifs - I prefer Pastis -1 part Pastis 5 parts water. The late Queen Mother stuck to Noilly Prat and it didn't seem to do her any harm - 1 part gin to 2 parts Noilly Prat. The other drinks (Cointreau and Benedictine) are really for after the meal - Digestifs as the French call them. As an aperatif try Kir - 1 part Cassis de Dijon (Blackcurranr liqueur) to 5 or more parts Dry white wine, or Kir Royal, with Champagne or any other sparkling white wine. Floc de Gascogne is similar to Pineau but made from Armanac, not Cognac, and has a bit more taste to it.

Brian

Archived