Sat TV Spain

Yorkyrunner

You can use your Sky HD box plugged into the satellite dish in the normal way but reception is limited to the Astra 2 satellite footprint. So no UK TV after Bordeaux going south, although there are anomalies to reception.

Simpler to use a 3G/4G MiFi with decent capacity data SIM and watch using Sky GO if you are a subscriber.

Yorkyrunner - 2019-12-21 5:37 PM

See at the shows during the course of this year that Oyster Sat and Quicksat claim you get can get UK tv without Subs to Sky all the way down to Portugal due to the box they supply. Anyone got them fitted and do they do what they claim.

Yes, you should be able to get the non subscription (free) channels that are on the European beam of Astra2 in Spain.

But reception of the free UK beam channels (like BBC ITV C4 and Five), required dish sized in Spain range from 85cm to 4m, depending where you go in Spain.

(or hack into the Satback service, the freeview backup, at 27.5 west, which is not for public use, and getsyou approx 15 uk channels, inc BBC Itv1, c4, five)

So yes it is possible, but maybe not for the channels you want.

Matrix Meanderer - 2019-12-21 6:30 PM

So no UK TV after Bordeaux going south, although there are anomalies to reception.

You can still get Astra 2 further south...the European beam covers most of western europe and is nice and easy to receive even in Spain.

The UK beam on Astra 2 is the tricky one to get the further south you go

Matrix Meanderer - 2019-12-21 6:30 PM

So no UK TV after Bordeaux going south, although there are anomalies to reception.

You can still get Astra 2 further south...the European beam covers most of western europe and is nice and easy to receive even in Spain.

The UK beam on Astra 2 is the tricky one to get the further south you go

We are at our house in Spain at the moment and it seems, after talking to a fitter yesterday that an IPTV box from Amazon, at £14 a month subs is a possible answer. However that is dependant on a good Wi-Fi signal and a 240 volt supply. That will get everything including Sky sports and movies etc and all the normal channels.

We have a MiFi unit fitted to the van, with a 50GB Vodafone data sim, on monthly contract (£18) and that gives us internet and TV through a Firestick, and works wherever we cant use the normal dish.

We can get normal TV from the dish as far south as Jaca in Spain, and occasionally even in the Ikea car park at Murcia. But as others have said, the beam is narrow and it can be a bit hit and miss.

Our satellite tv dome (only a 40cm dish) is tuned to allow us either Astra 2 at 28 deg or Astra1 at 19 deg, to which we switch in mid France when going South. This allows us to watch Sky News and a few other useless channels. On a site in the Algarve I chatted to a resident Brit who was using a tripod dish (only about 80cm) tuned to a transponder serving Gibraltar and delivering unencrypted UK stations (he believed for UK Forces in Gibraltar, which thought was west of south but that’s all he could tell me.

We get most pay channels on a Sky box in Spain with our 80cm dish. Don't need to switch to Astra 1 for Sky News.

With Sky Go you can stream/download in the EU all the main channels (excluding BBC). Luckily the site we go to in Spain has fast, unlimited wifi, so we can watch on laptop/tablets.

Our VPN has a dedicated BBC iPlayer setting.

weldted - 2019-12-21 8:39 PM we then change to Intellesat 907 for BBC 1,2 ITV, channel 4 & 5 right down around Portugal.using an icecrypt or similar reciver.

Can you tell us What model Icerypt receiver are you using and can it be powered by 12 v ? Thanks

StuartO - 2019-12-22 10:24 AM

On a site in the Algarve I chatted to a resident Brit who was using a tripod dish (only about 80cm) tuned to a transponder serving Gibraltar and delivering unencrypted UK stations (he believed for UK Forces in Gibraltar, which thought was west of south but that’s all he could tell me.

I think they are referring to the "Satback" service at 27.5w.

It is a back up for some Freeview multiplexes.

It is a not for public, commercial satellite, and is encrypted.

It has nothing to do with Gibraltar , as the sat is somewhere over the Atlantic.

It has nothing to do with UK Forces...unless they mean the BFBS which is exclusively for the Armed forces, with sever punishment is the viewing cards get out to the public domain.

derek500 - 2019-12-22 11:03 AM

With Sky Go you can stream/download in the EU all the main channels (excluding BBC).

Key to this is SkyGo is available for some 35 days without the need of a VPN. After that timescale, it need to be reconnected to a UK IP address, and the 35 days continues.

BBC iPlayer is not included, as you point out, as the EU Rule which allows this is for paid & subscription services only...for which the BBC is not part of.

It should also be noted that after 31st Jan 2020, the UK broadcasters no longer by law have to provide this service to the EU. *just like EU mobile phone roaming, not included, but dowm to the phone operators)

witzend - 2019-12-22 3:53 PM

Can you tell us What model Icerypt receiver are you using and can it be powered by 12 v ? Thanks

Icrcrypts have not been made for a few months & years now.

So you may have to locate other receivers that can be patched to allow you to hack into these encrypted signals, and that allow you to use the non normal Symbol Rate the service uses,.

Thanks for all the info so it seems nothng is that reliable these days so may upgrade wifi and maybe get the bigger dish if I can work out how to carry it without taking up all garage space, no problem when I brought my trailer, its just the inconvenience and cost on ferries with a trailer in tow. Cheers.

Yorkyrunner - 2019-12-22 8:20 PM

maybe get the bigger dish if I can work out how to carry it without taking up all garage space, Cheers.

I have seen a approx 1.5 mtr dish that was in 6 sections and fitted together for use maybe a thought to cut one to get it in garage if space is tight.

What other receivers are there I have a Technomate TM 1500 CI but its large and only 240v

satandpcguy - 2019-12-22 5:16 PM

witzend - 2019-12-22 3:53 PM

So you may have to locate other receivers that can be patched to allow you to hack into these encrypted signals, and that allow you to use the non normal Symbol Rate the service uses,.

What other receivers are there that work off a 12v supply and allow this.

Archived