Next Season Starts

niktam

I was just wondering when those of us that don't use our MH's in the Winter start using them again next year. My MH has no winterising at all and no electric at the storage pound so it is fully drained down. Appreciate it is rather an open question to ask as it all depends how cold it is ? The water pipes go every where and there is no double floor.

But I will need to clean the tanks out again before use and flush the water tank out then refill it ready for the off next year. But I can't wait till the chance of the last air frost as that will be in early May according to the gardeners! I remember a few years ago we didn't get snow till the first week in March?

Once I get it ready I don't want to drain it down again!

On the other hand I ride motorcycles so if it is sunny day in the winter and the temp is 10 degrees I can just pop out and put the bike back in the garage and it can drop to whatever overnight but I can't do that wth the MH as on a clear night it can get very cold?

Fulltime winter use is not on the cards.

Wife ends her motorhoming 'going away' year on October 31st and starts again on 1 March. This is in line with our caravanning days of yore. Me? I go away a few times in the van over winter on sites using a 5l water container and a collapsible plastic bucket to collect the waste. I don't bother with the water system nor the TV.

Both my wife and I will also go out for a day in the van during winter with just the 5l water container. It seems good for the van, particularly the brakes which can seize up if left on. Billggski is right.

I give the MH a full driven run for 30 mins or so every three weeeks without fail throughout the winter.But I do like the idea of using the 5L water container without using all the MH "water works" an idea that hadn't occurred to me. So I will still have have heating gas or electric etc but without the faff of draining it all down again.

No hot water but I can live with that for a night or two.Excellent idea.

niktam - 2019-12-25 11:07 PM

Once I get it ready I don't want to drain it down again!

Between every trip, and over winter, we dump the main tank and truma, and leave the basin taps open(with power off), that's all we've ever done and it's no big deal refilling. The van is insulated, but after only a few days unused it can't make much differance to freezing, and water in the pipes freezing has never hurt or van, even when we had a cold spell some years back with one night alone falling to -16c, if the pipes are made from the correct plastic they rarely have a problem when frozen.

Maybe others with similar van to yours could confirm what they do.

Archived