House Insurance while Unoccupied

ALAN G

I have insured my house and contents through Camping and Caravanning Clubcare for many years. Latterly this has been with Royal and Sun Alliance. It's never been cheap but I could be away from home for the amount that I wanted ie about 70 days.

The renewal cost, due next week, has risen from £446 with RSA to £995 with Ergo. I'm not impressed.

I've tried 3 comparison sites but find it difficult to get assurance that the quotations (very much cheaper than I have been paying) will give the "Unoccupied Period" that I need without contacting the individual insurers.

How do I find out what the policy details are before I pay?

Advice please.

Consider getting a quote from the Caravan & Motorhome Club. I insure our home through them at a premium which is good enough to warrant being a member for no other reason.

We get cover for up to 90 days.

Maybe explain that if the quote is competitive enough you'll become a member.

Steve H - 2019-12-30 9:34 PM

Consider getting a quote from the Caravan & Motorhome Club. I insure our home through them at a premium which is good enough to warrant being a member for no other reason.

i use the c&mc £220 up to 90 days unoccupied

pagey - 2019-12-31 1:03 PM

Steve H - 2019-12-30 9:34 PM

i use the c&mc £220 up to 90 days unoccupied

Me Too, mine is £240 with Sally Army via the CMC.

We used Clubcare the other year when we had an extended sabbatical but also found their renewal quote was ridiculous. After looking round we went with Churchill. Their policy normally has a 30 days clause for leaving the house empty but if you speak to them they change that part of the policy and allow any extended period providing someone ‘checks the house weekly (like Weldteds LV policy).

Thanks for all your comments. I have now insured through the Caravan and Motorhome club at a very much much lower rate (£254) than Clubcare charged me last year (£446). I can't imagine why they thought that I would pay £900 !!

In the past I used Clubcare for my vehicle breakdown insurance but when I got to 80 they didn't want to know me.

Luckily, just at that time Nationwide Flexplus started vehicle breakdown and personal travel insurance so I opted for that. Recently it has become more expensive as the interest I used to get on the Flexplus account has been removed.

However I am about £190 better off having gone to the Caravan Club and I will cancel our Camping Club membership as well, as we don't use their sites.

It's all "swings and roundabouts" but, although sitting in front of a computer doesn't generate much exercise, looking at the results of comparison websites and reading the details of the insurance you are being offered really does keep the grey cells stimulated.

Alan

Archived