Irish ferry

Pete-B

Hi, The good lady and I plan to visit our Granddaughter in Kilarney Southern Ireland during March. We can only stay there for two or three days so it's not worth taking the van so, instead we thought of just taking the car so we can do the ring of Kerry etc whilst there.

Holyhead is closest to us so not having any experience my questions are, which is the best ferry company to travel on, do you have to be there at a certain time before sailing, how long does it take and do you have to book way in advance?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Pete-B - 2020-01-01 7:38 PM

Hi, The good lady and I plan to visit our Granddaughter in Kilarney Southern Ireland during March. We can only stay there for two or three days so it's not worth taking the van so, instead we thought of just taking the car so we can do the ring of Kerry etc whilst there.

Holyhead is closest to us so not having any experience my questions are, which is the best ferry company to travel on, do you have to be there at a certain time before sailing, how long does it take and do you have to book way in advance?

Thanks for any help and advice.

https://www.stenaline.co.uk/routes/holyhead-dublin/timetable

It’s all online

There's a fast ferry, but both that and the standard one are quite comfortable, no need to book a cabin. Irish Ferries have plenty of room in March. Give them a ring for any offers.

The motorways fan out from Dublin and the tolls are very cheap, take the toll road through the tunnel, don't drive through the city. Pay by phone.

Ring of Kerry has been extended to the "wild atlantic way", but two or three days isn't really enough unless you want to tick it off a bucket list by just driving around it. Visiting Dublin itself is rewarding.

(There is a truck ferry from Heynsham, or Liverpool much cheaper but you need a cabin. https://www.seatruckferries.com/nav/routes )

Hi

We live very close to the Pembroke terminal.

The ferry takes 4.5 hours roughly, and leaves twice a day at roughly 0200 and 1400 (depends on timetable changes from summer to winter). Return ferries leave Rosslare at around 0400 and 1600. It is a very comfortable ferry. At that time of year you will have no problems with booking. Note that you can use Tesco Rewards to pay for this ferry crossing. £10 of Tesco points gives a voucher for £30 off the ferry price up to the full price of the return crossing.

Fishgaurd has a similar arrangement with similar times. I don't think the fast cat runs from Fishguard at this time of year.

One last point - getting to SW Wales from your area is far easier if you travel on ordinary A roads straight through the middle of Wales. The motorways (M6, M4, M5) always take far longer and involve many more miles. You might have to take it easy - just accepting that you will get stuck behind lorries and tractors - and not be able to get past them - but it is still quicker.

Trevor

As I am sure you are aware, both Irish ferries and Stena are offering 25% off (if they can be believed) for travel over the next year if booked in the next week or so.

Both routes are in the region of 3 to 4 hours. Holyhead and Pembroke are small easily navigated towns. On the Irish side Rosslare is small and places you well south and closer to the Atlantic way. Dublin arrival puts you into the melee that is a major city, so a bit of research on you arrival and route to the M 50 would be worthwhile. Once through the city the roads to the west are motorways radiating in all directions, so probably quicker than the cross country route from Rosslare.

We tend to use Irish ferries for Ireland to France as they are cheapest for our Motorhome and they give a free trip to GB in the off season, so I can only comment on their boats. These are a good size and well appointed (exception of Epsilon). The websites will give virtual tours or photos of each boat and its facilities. Euros are the currency on Irish ferries, but cards are accepted.

Davy

Archived