deisel knock

supermint29

*-)

I have an Iveco 2.8TDi chassied Machzone Supermint and am trying to reduce the amount of deisel clatter at low to medium power.At turbo presures of 22psi and up its tolerable. The engine is a 1997 build direct injection. so pre 'drive by wire'. has anyone successfully tackled this problem? Stuff I've tried so far:

1) Using a Cetane improver additive. Result- more power but same noise level.

2) Using 5% Biodeisel. Result- Undetectable.

Although new to this forum I have been motorhoming since the days of the Commer Highwayman and reading some of the threads there seems to be a wealth of knowledge out there.

Until recently the use direct injection diesel engines was confined to commercial vehicles because of high engine noise levels i.e. what you describe as diesel knock. With the introduction of common rail and electronic injection where the injection pressures are very high and the injection cycle can be broken down into several sages engine manufacturers have managed to bring noise levels down considerably. So the short answer to your question I believe is that you are stuck with it unless you can add even more sound deadening material. I don’t think you will find a mechanical way to quieten the engine.

Thabernks Mr Grumpy

Unfortunately my last motorhome was a Fiat common rail 2.8Jtd so the difference was more noticeable. A couple of motorhomes ago I had a Swift Royale of 1998 vintage and that was a Pre EMS as I remember. Dont remember so much 'clatter on that one' but then I may well have selective memory.

Archived