Downloadable low bridge POIs for your SatNav

Way2Go

Hello peeps,

If you haven't already downloaded a set of low bridge POIs (Points of Interest) you can get a copy from http://www.willow-house.co.uk/

They are currently only in a TomTom or Navman format but you could easily convert the file into other SatNav formats via a free copy of PoIEdit or PoIConverter

You can pick which POI file to download to suit your particular motor home height. Just download the file to suit you from a range of 9'-0" to 16'-6"!!

Once downloaded, copy them into your Satnav map folder and turn them on.

For TomTom users, go into Change Preferences > Enable/Disable POIs. Scroll down until you see the 'Bridges' POI and put a tick in the box. Any low bridges will now be displayed on the moving map.

If you want to go one stage further, why not link the low bridge POI with one of the TomTom sounds so you really sit up and take notice? They don't have one for ripping aluminium but there are a series of bells and chimes you could select.

To assign a sound to the POI select Change Preferences > Manage POIs > Warn when near POI. Select the 'Bridges' POI and assign the sound of your choice . . . . Beep 5 should do the trick ;-)

Thanks W2G !,

I thought I didn't fancy going under anything under 10' 6"

The tip about having too many POI's was correct Too, although my SD card still showed as having 82 mb of spare capacity,and the POI's could be seen in the Map contents,they wouldn't display.

Deleting some of 'nice to know but not essential' stuff, did the trick.

I now have all of the CC & C&CC sites and CL's, Speed bumps,Petrol stations,Etc, Etc,

All good stuff ! I didn't need to know where 'Toy R Us' or 'Subway' or 'Baskin Bobbins' were anyhow. Mine's a TomTom one V2, cheapest in the range but a little 'diamond'. Thanks Again. :D

Guest bil h

What's in my pocket you asked.

Navman iCN 630. 5 yrs old. very expensive at the time but offset against working tax costs. now retired but still busyand thinking of a better one.

Its not bad but will send you down narrow roads. I used it in France last year no problem.

Like many I expect its impossible to get lost by searching the immediate area from a stationary vehicle its also easy to find a way out of a town centre.

I don't believe any downloads can be included like CC sites by map ref: or grid ref: or latitude numbers etc; but the sites can be identified once you track them down by pre-running (from home) along a certain site road when they will show as a "camp site".

I need to see a Tom Tom first to assess the contents.

BB

The instructions and links to free software downloads I have given would suit most of the new generation of satnav systems.

Whilst these and the other 'how-to' guides I have posted refer to TomTom they should be easily adaptable to any other make of satnav.  I just happen to own a TomTom so I know the screens.

If/when you change your satnav system, the previously posted free software links will enable you to convert the POI downloads into almost any format your new system will accept . . . . . as long as it's a portable system as opposed to a vehicle built-in system running from a DVD.

There are some good, well priced systems on the market these days but you'd need to try them out and make friends with them before making your choice.

W2G

W2G,

Is there any way of getting the POI's to be announced with a voice

instead of 'Moo',Boing, Tinkle, etc., etc, I suppose it would take up too much memory ? but it would be so much nicer to be told 'Petrol station ahead' by that nice lady. I am afraid I forget whether Ive made a Moo a cash M/c or a Supermarket, Still good though. :D

Guest bil h

Thanks for the Poi's info. The Navman office is just near here, I'll go and see them before changing.

No its not a fixed in-car system, we never fancy those lest better one's arrive on the market.

BB

bil h - 2007-03-05 10:50 PM No its not a fixed in-car system, we never fancy those lest better one's arrive on the market. BB

Quite right, I wouldn't either.  My wife has a built-in one with her Honda CRV.  It's only 2-D and can never be upgraded (unless you spend £250 for a newer DVD).  You also cannot add POIs and is best described as what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

Even though her car is only 18 months old her built-in SatNav is well out of date and not 'tweakable'.

W2G

Rayjsj - 2007-03-05 7:36 PM W2G, Is there any way of getting the POI's to be announced with a voice instead of 'Moo',Boing, Tinkle, etc.

Yes there is.  ANY Poi can have it's own sound which can either be downloaded or made yourself.

The commonest way is to have an .OGG file which contains your chosen sound.  The principle is that the Poi and it's accessory files are ALL called by the same name i.e.:-

This is my Poi.OV2 (the Poi locations)

This is my Poi.BMP (the bitmap icon)

This is my Poi.OGG (the sound)

Despite having posted a few tutorials I have no intention of posting one which concerns sounds.  The easier stuff has taken several postings to get the point over, liking sounds is on a whole new plane!

There is a very good article on the Pocket GPS World Forum which deals with linking sounds to Pois.  It mainly deals with speed camera sounds like "Mobile 30" whenever it encounters a Mobile Camera (sorry, SAFETY camera) in a 30 MPH area.  Others include "Redlight" and "Gatso".

So, grab a coffee and start reading here:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=47366

W2G

Pat - 2007-03-06 9:02 AM

Hi sorry but I know this has been discussed before butI cannot find it in the archives,

Can I use my laptop as a sat nav if so hoe please.

Regards Pat

You can use Microsoft Autoroute with a GPS receiver that plugs into your USB.

Less than £100 to buy both.

Just looked on Amazon, you can get "Microsoft AutoRoute with GPS 2007" for £69.98 with free P&P.

Archived