Poor Heater

Grantos

Hi, I have a Ducato 2.8 JTD 55 plate Motorhome, problem is the heater, even when the engine is up to temp and the fan is full on the heater is very poor, is this the norm or is there something that needs looked into.

Thank to anyone who might be able to help.

:-(

Grantos - 2020-01-08 12:58 PM

Hi, I have a Ducato 2.8 JTD 55 plate Motorhome, problem is the heater, even when the engine is up to temp and the fan is full on the heater is very poor, is this the norm or is there something that needs looked into.

Hello - I'm afraid it's the norm! However there are one or things you can do. Seal up some of the obvious draft points in the cab ie holes in the door card and pillar at rear of doors and the curve of the wheel arches. Others have described this if you use the search facility on here (good luck!)

You should also set the air to re-circulate - there is no point drawing cold air into the heater matrix - there is plenty of fresh air in the volume of the van.

The biggest improvement though is to rig up a full length curtain behind the cab seats. We did this a few years ago and it makes a huge difference to the cab temperature while driving. (Effectively you are only trying to heat the cab area, not the whole van) I rigged up a rail (made from an old pop-up two man tent) across the van and made up the curtains which simply slide on the rail.

Or buy long johns!

I also rigged up a full length curtain behind the cab seats which was essential for winter use of the van as otherwise we froze. The Ducato had a terrible heater but my old T2 VW camper was also pretty cold particularly when the heat exchanger failed letting exhaust gas into the cab and it had to be shut off on an overnight trip from Wales to Glasgow in the month of October.

Grantos - 2020-01-08 12:58 PM

Mine is an 03 A class with a 2.8 JTD engine and the cab heater works just fine. It seems to have no issue warming up the cab and, I suppose consequently, the habitation area. Unless the design on the 05 Fiat is fundamentally different (maybe you have air con?) I’d check that the temperature control is opening fully when set to maximum. As a guide, we usually set our temp to about half way with the fan on setting 1 in the winter when driving once the cab has warmed up and that feels just fine.

Archived