Roll out Awning

PaulT

We have a Fiamma,never had any problems,just remember 'it's there' when meeting other traffic down narrow lanes, don't leave it hanging in a tree. Also make sure you 'Guy rope' it if you leave it up for a long (or short)

time.

Fiamma spares are very easy to get, next day from 'agent fiamma'.

Don't know about Omnistor.

I used to be a 'Tugger' and the word 'Awning' used to bring me out in a sweat ( a solid hour of hard graft to get it up and down). Now it's 2 minutes easy, including the guy ropes. :D

Guest bil h

bil says he's about to advertise a Fiamma for sale. He has to measure it first but it was fitted to a LWB VW. He now has a shorter version plus the M/H which has one fitted. It should be in very good condition.

Its about 2 years old and only been used for real about 6 times. At present its in store in his snooker room.

Look on the selling site after tomorrow

BB

A word of advice if I may. Whichever rollout awning you go for, NEVER leave your van with the awning out, even if you've strapped it down. They are designed as a sun canopy only, & it only takes a slight wind under it to send it over the roof of your van. i've seen it happen on a summers day, with only a slight breeze!!

Cheers Creaky

Hi Paul,

Some good advice from others I note. Check what height your door is, if the topof the door is within a foot of your roof be very careful where you have the awning sited, as the supports could foul the top of the door when opening it. If this happens you will have to erect the awnng very high, this decreases the angle which affects shade and rain run off. We made this mistake, its Ok in the summer as a sun shade with an extension we made that hangs across the front, it does keep the rain off the door when its out provided its not blowing a gale..

David

We have an Omnistor.  Quality, in terms of solidity, seems better than the Fiamma offerings, so I'd say view both and form your own opinion.

The biggest drawback with the Omni is the lead rail, which is the cover strip along the front edge of the awning; designed to act as a gutter of sorts.  This it does, but in the process traps pine needles, small pine cones, leaves and pretty much anything else that falls from trees.  These accumulate and, in the end, defeat the locking mechanism until cleared out.

We also experience a build up of leaves, which stick to the canopy material when wet.  If not removed, this additional bulk skews the canopy when winding in, so that one end "docks" first, causing the locking mechanism to get out of sync.  (Don't know if Fiamma share this drawback.)  It is very difficult to detach wet leaves from wet canopy, as a large amount of the fabric is out of reach and wet leaves take some prising loose!

As above, don't leave it extended unless you are absolutely confident winds will be very light.  Also, I'd say ignore the spring tensioned type awning hold down, as these are not particularly effective.  When wind gets under the awning, the fabric baloons up, causing the cranked, spring loaded, rafters to partially collapse back towards the side of the van drawing the lead rail with them.  The spring tensioned hold down, for the most part, just watches this process in silence!  After the gust, all reverts to normal but, for what it is worth, a couple of the supplementary rigid rafters inserted between van side and lead rail would prevent the cranked rafters springing back.  Then supplement these with conventional guy ropes extended at right angles to the side of the van from the head of each of the awning support legs.  However, as above, these awnings are not really designed for rough weather, being more suited to a European summer than the UK spring and autumn.

Brian Kirby - 2007-03-04 3:42 PMWe have an Omnistor.  Quality, in terms of solidity, seems better than the Fiamma offerings, so I'd say view both and form your own opinion.

The biggest drawback with the Omni is the lead rail, which is the cover strip along the front edge of the awning; designed to act as a gutter of sorts.  This it does, but in the process traps pine needles, small pine cones, leaves and pretty much anything else that falls from trees.  These accumulate and, in the end, defeat the locking mechanism until cleared out.

We also experience a build up of leaves, which stick to the canopy material when wet.  If not removed, this additional bulk skews the canopy when winding in, so that one end "docks" first, causing the locking mechanism to get out of sync.  (Don't know if Fiamma share this drawback.)  It is very difficult to detach wet leaves from wet canopy, as a large amount of the fabric is out of reach and wet leaves take some prising loose!

As above, don't leave it extended unless you are absolutely confident winds will be very light.  Also, I'd say ignore the spring tensioned type awning hold down, as these are not particularly effective.  When wind gets under the awning, the fabric baloons up, causing the cranked, spring loaded, rafters to partially collapse back towards the side of the van drawing the lead rail with them.  The spring tensioned hold down, for the most part, just watches this process in silence!  After the gust, all reverts to normal but, for what it is worth, a couple of the supplementary rigid rafters inserted between van side and lead rail would prevent the cranked rafters springing back.  Then supplement these with conventional guy ropes extended at right angles to the side of the van from the head of each of the awning support legs.  However, as above, these awnings are not really designed for rough weather, being more suited to a European summer than the UK spring and autumn.

Brian be careful when employing this tecnique as the sprung loaded arms are designed to apply equal, safe, pressure to the fabric during static and windy conditions. When the fabric balloons during breezy conditions the arms fold inwards slightly and take the pressure off the mounting points i.e. the side of the motorhome. We had an awning failure last year because the customer left the awning out while they went shopping, this was not on a motorhome but the side of a house, it took two bricks out with it.If you have the awning motorised and this an option, Elero have a solar powered wind sensor that will bring the awning in under adverse conditions, this can be held to the side of the vehicle with heavy duty velco when on site. A bit belt and braces but better than a van looking like an opened tin can.

Thanks John

However, I don't think you could safely power a motorhome blind back unattended, since the maximum unsupported extension from the side of the van is only 1 metre.  After that, the support legs must be put down to take the weight of the leading edge.  With the legs down, and secured as they should be in windy conditions, the blind cannot be wound back to the side of the van and any attempt to do so would result in damage to both blind and van sidewall.

This is not the same item as a shop type awning, which is what I think you may have in mind, which generally have no support legs.  However, you're quite right, it is a remedy to be used with great caution!

No doubt it's carelessness on my part but I've lost 2 roll-out awnings in the past due to unexpected wind gusts in France (no it wan't something I'd eaten !) and have vowed not to fit them again. I'll make do with an umbrella !

Roll out awnings are i agree, 'a kite waiting to take off' so a means of 'Tethering' them is essential, Just a couple of pegs through the feet of the poles is not enough, I have had no problems with having 2 guy ropes looped through the ends of the roof rafters,they stay there even when drawn back into the cassette. A couple of good nylon stout pegs and the 'kite' stays tethered. Sudden gusts DO blow up 'suddenly'!! even on a scorching day (be prepared,dib,dib,dob,dob) :D

Hi I would also add that you would not believe howmuch water anawning can hold!! If the canvas is anyway slightly slack rain will build up in a small puddle just behind the front rail that will strech the fabric further and this puddle gets bigger and before you know it you will have your own little lake the weight of which could bring the whole awning down or just rip the canvas!

Rgards Pat

Pat - 2007-03-06 8:32 AM

Hi I would also add that you would not believe howmuch water anawning can hold!! If the canvas is anyway slightly slack rain will build up in a small puddle just behind the front rail that will strech the fabric further and this puddle gets bigger and before you know it you will have your own little lake the weight of which could bring the whole awning down or just rip the canvas!

Rgards Pat

The easy way to prevent this, if you intend to leave your awning rolled out, is to set one leg lower than the other then any water can run off the lower end instead of puddling on the canvas.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-03-06 8:53 AM
Pat - 2007-03-06 8:32 AM Hi I would also add that you would not believe howmuch water anawning can hold!! If the canvas is anyway slightly slack rain will build up in a small puddle just behind the front rail that will strech the fabric further and this puddle gets bigger and before you know it you will have your own little lake the weight of which could bring the whole awning down or just rip the canvas! Rgards Pat
The easy way to prevent this, if you intend to leave your awning rolled out, is to set one leg lower than the other then any water can run off the lower end instead of puddling on the canvas. D.

Agreed: and also make sure you drop down the front edge of the awning, so that the fabric slopes as steeply possible, consistent with clearing the habitation door.

Archived