any ideas please?

paulw60

The previous owner of our autocruise decided to fit an extra leisure batt under driver seat. Brilliant idea, but he didn't fit a sealed one!!I need to top up distilled water. what a pain to remove the swivel base! only three hex countersunk screws either side-- simples, oh no three out of six have been rounded off by a service mechanic previous to us owning it! there is no room to get a drill on them to drill out. Anyone out there have any ideas please.

paulw60 - 2020-01-19 2:30 PM

The previous owner of our autocruise decided to fit an extra leisure batt under driver seat. Brilliant idea, but he didn't fit a sealed one!!I need to top up distilled water. what a pain to remove the swivel base! only three hex countersunk screws either side-- simples, oh no three out of six have been rounded off by a service mechanic previous to us owning it! there is no room to get a drill on them to drill out. Anyone out there have any ideas please.

Any chance of cutting grooves in them with a hacksaw blade - then unscrewing with a blade of some sort ?

( Although - if they are countersunk that sounds unlikely ! )

:-(

paulw60 - 2020-01-19 2:43 PM

Thanks , I would usually have a go at that but you are right they are countersunk but with the seat swiveled round for access there is very little room if any for a hacksaw.

Bit extreme but - I wonder if there is any chance of supergluing a lever of some kind to the head of the screws and, when set hard, MAYBE that would be stuck firmly enough to move them ?

( You could put a drop of WD40 on each before you start - might help to free them )

Sounds like your main problem is one of 'space to work' - any way of giving yourself more space ?

:-|

Thanks for that yeh, space is very tight! I can just get a drill on --- I think! will replace with decent bolts so i won't have hassle next time. Can't understand why you would put a cell battery in an unaccessible place, perhaps cheaper!!

If you can get a flat headed punch (larger in diameter than the hex recess) square on to the heads, a good blow with a hard hammer can reform the hexagonal recess sufficiently to get a key to fit snugly, plus it breaks to grip of the head in the coountersunk hole.

Countersunk screws are a pain two ways - the hex sockets are shallow & the head has a lot of surface area that wrings into the seat.. I always shock such screws with a punch before trying to loosen them & they usually come free quite easily without stripping the head. Otherwise, a sharp centre punch can be used to create a pop mark to one side of the recess on the top of the screw, then the centre punch used to punch the screw head anti-clockwise.

Nigel B

Paul

Your van is 2011 and you got it in 2015. That means the battery is at least 5 years old. You say you need to check the levels suggesting that in the 5 years you've had the van the levels haven't been checked?

Can I suggest you replace the battery/batteries at the same time as getting the seat problem resolved as it is highly likely the battery under the seat is way past its useful life, especially as levels haven't been checked?

The late Allan Evans was an expert on batteries etc. Check out this website for info on battery technology etc http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/

Hy Paul - similar to using i punch , but a trick iv'e been using for past 30 yrs, especially when in a tight, difficult or shallow angle area where a punch will not be able to 'dig in', is to use a sharp narrow (say half inch) wood chisel, then start by 'digging in' to the screw at the nearest damaged screw head flat point with short hard blows to start the screw turning, this will always work, simply repeat the same as the screw starts to turn usually quarter turn at a time. when it has turned (raised) enough, put some moles on it and unscrew !

You will of course need to re sharpen your wood chisel afterwards, (or replace it if it isn't decent steel !)...

thank you, reckon I will take a chance, battery behind seat ok , so will see what happens with the second one, with prices of 110 amp leisure batts about 300 quid for a decent . double that is a lot of dosh. could spend two months in the sun for that!!

First if space is a real problem, I would try a Dremel with a small cutting disk to cut a groove in the screw head and then an offset flat blade screwdriver (looks like an Allen key but with a flat rather than hex head)

If that didn't work, I would try carefully drilling out the countersunk screw head (preferably using a left hand drill bit) just enough for the conical head to drop off (same diameter drill as the screw thread).

Once you have better access, use the Dremel to cut a slot in the remaining screw . The left hand drill bit should loosen the screw and may even release it (same principle as the extractor tool).

IMO, if space is a problem and you don't have a right angle drill, get a decent quality right angle drill attachment as some of the cheap ones don't last.

I guess all bases have been covered, but it is possible to get right angle drills (where the chuck is mounted at right angles to the axis of the drill motor). I had to do a similar job a few years back and got one made by DeWalt. It is, of course, another tool - but I have had to use it a few times since! :-D

Archived