Travel Insurance for we 'Motor Homer's'

23addy46

Has any of MMM's fine contributors managed to get decent / reasonably priced Travel Insurance tailored for us ?... ie:- All Travel Insurance on general offer includes for items things we do not (in normality) require when WE go abroad on our travels, such as baggage cover, flights, and holiday cancellation cover etc. etc. All sections that we would not be claiming for even if the worst happened ! Such items as clothing, electrical gadgets etc. are already covered within our MH insurance anyway when WE move 'over the water' !

Dave Adams.

I found Red Pennant very expensive in the past when getting quotes. Does not mean it will be though for all demographics.

We have been using Holiday safe for many years now as gives basic cover and what we need..medical cover, repatriation, and 3rd party Liability of the push bikes which a lot of policies do not actually cover unless you pay more.

Would I recommend them? Well as I have never actually made a claim I not in a position to make a judgement but they do get good reviews and awards.

Certainly worth a look. https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/

Muswell - 2020-01-21 1:41 PM

The CMC Red Pennant travel insurance is motorhome specific and the service if you have a problem is excellent.

It does fit the bill. Also The Caravan and Camping Club offers similar cover to this and we have always found it better value.

I think that you have to be a member of the respective club to take out a policy.

thebishbus - 2020-01-23 4:46 PM

Anyone with an occupational pension,over 65, under 75 should look at the NFOP insurance scheme. It 's not fussy about pre conditions and has no upper limit .You have to join as a member first.

Brian B.

As you say it excludes those of us over 75 and I guess that includes a few on here. It also excludes "respiratory conditions" unless they are "mild". I used to be with them and asked my doc. if my asthma was "mild" he shrugged his shoulders and said " it's mild now but when you have an attack it's not".

H

hallii - 2020-01-24 2:02 PM

thebishbus - 2020-01-23 4:46 PM

Anyone with an occupational pension,over 65, under 75 should look at the NFOP insurance scheme. It 's not fussy about pre conditions and has no upper limit .You have to join as a member first.

Brian B.

As you say it excludes those of us over 75 and I guess that includes a few on here. It also excludes "respiratory conditions" unless they are "mild". I used to be with them and asked my doc. if my asthma was "mild" he shrugged his shoulders and said " it's mild now but when you have an attack it's not".

H

Doesn't 'exclude' over 75s there is NO upper limit but you must have joined the scheme before you are 75 and continue to purchase annually. Also the lower limit is 50 not 65 as stated in the above post.

It also does not exclude 'respiratory conditions' only SEVERE respiratory conditions such as COPD, but that is in common with several insurers of late.

A good scheme and covers lots that other schemes don't (when you read the small print in all the various policies) and does not ask questions re prior problems.

Bas

Hi, and many thanks to all 'Forum'rs who responded to my request -

As mentioned by a few different members - The CMC Red Pennant scheme probably is quite good But very expensive indeed when our late 70's age group & inevitable conditions are applied !! - Again as mentioned, a 'common or garden' policy has indeed turned out to be the most reasonable at approx £150. (some 78%) less than Red Pennant or equivalent quotes for a 'single trip' policy (Q:- sorry you can't have a 'Multi Trip' quote as your start date is to many days forward ????) - 'Penalty Points' are added 'willy-nilly' when questions such as "have you or anyone else on the policy visited a GP or taken any prescribed medicine within the past 2 years" ? Please find me a person of my (or younger) age group who has been fortunate NOT to have needed a GP visit within the past 2 years ? Working or not ? - I for example am still working 'full time' (being self employed with a duff pension) repairing/servicing/replacing double glazed doors & windows - so am well used to hard/heavy work, furthermore, here in the Central Deserts of Lancashire, working in often 'less than dry' weather conditions we just carry on - But, simple things as having Gout twice in the past 3 years means 'extra points' on your quote !!! We just can't win can we ?

Keep Travelling,

Dave Adams, Leyland.

Hi Ninian - Yep - I agree, similar responce - Our "problem" - we are (as a population percentage) a small market area, so the Big Boys are not interested. But Is someone out there interested in our (growing by the years) group of top class individuals ????

Dave Adams

Archived