Peloponnese, Greece

Bealy

Hi guys

We are planning to travel to Patras, Greece to spend 5/6wks from early April in our Laika Kreos 5009 catching the ferry from Ancona, Italy. We would be grateful to hear from anyone with experience to offer regarding camping outside of recognised camp sites, camp sites and places not to miss.

Usually we need to empty the loo cassette daily and were wondering what facilities we may find when we are not using campgrounds :D

I understand that some tavernas are happy to let you stay in their carpark if you eat and drink with them. This seems quite reasonable but are these options very prolific and is it likely you could stay for a few days if you find one in a good spot by the beach?

Also given that our MH is just under 8m what are the access roads to the beaches etc generally like?

Any help would be gratefully received. :-D

You may not find many sites open in April so toilet emptying and getting water needs to be planned we have a large opening can to empty cassette into in emergency & used garage toilets and taps asking first giving a couple of euros if allowed + beach showers for water using large funnel into watering can The good news is your welcome to park almost anywhere heres a stop over map https://tinyurl.com/rqyt92g

clik the direction arrow then on map rite clik and select whats here for coordinates

We toured the Peloponnese in the spring of 2015, arriving at Patras early May. We used a mix of ACSI sites, aires and wild camping. We found the latter very easy to do on harbours and marinas. I took a lot of good information off the websites below.

We were on the Peloponnese for 5 weeks which was just about enough and then 2 weeks on the mainland. We found the people very friendly and helpful.

If visiting Athens, pre-book your stay at Athens Campsite. We arrived un-booked and had to “come back in three days”. The lady on reception was very helpful. Although it’s a few miles it’s easy to get from the site to the centre by public transport. It’s worth making the effort to see the changing of the guard at the palace.

Our ‘van at the time was just 6m but I don’t remember any situations were extra length would be problematical.

We really enjoyed Greece.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zNTkrkLr0gcA.kCPmEfF-SdpI&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0

This webpage gives a list of well over 100 possible wild camping places in Greece.

http://eu.camperistas.com/733/733

This web site gives a short list of aires in Greece.

Cattwg :-D

Re the Greece stopover map, I would recommend you do not use the scribblemap link, it was 'borrowed' from my original map some while back and has never been updated so is a poor version and well out of date. Use the following short link which is easier to copy/paste. Last update was yesterday.

http://tinyurl.com/ya7uras

If you do use any of the entries or have some new spots, please send them to me in the email address on the main page of the map, its what keeps it up to date. :)

I've also attached a little guide to servicing the van while camping off grid which you might find handy.

Pete

Greece water etc.odt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thank to you all for taking the time to come back to me with your very helpful tips and reassurance that things should ok.

We are now booked on the Ancona - Patras ferry 6th April and can't wait. I will try to post a summary upon our return and will happily send an update about the facilities etc

Regards

We lived in Greece for many years and travelled extensively in our Motorhome. In our experience you can stay at many tavernas but wild camping is regarded as illegal in Greece although we wild camped many times out of season. At the beginning of the season the police are quite efficient at moving you on, by the middle of June it gets too hot and they cant be bothered. We heard that some Germans had been arrested in the Peloponnese for not complying with the law. In fact we were moved on at the harbour at Pylos when we were touring the Peloponnese and the police turned up within 5 minutes of us stopping, If you are interested EN PLo camperstop at Ritsomylou just east of Patras is worth visiting. and you can wild camp on the beach at Diakopto. Also we parked alongside the beach at Patras without any problems. If you are going to Corinth we would suggest Afrodites Waters camperstop at Old Corinth. There are quite a lot of ACSI sites at reasonable costs.

Archived