Poland

johnval

I crossed it twice on the way to or from Finland so I won't claim expertise. Lots of new motorways built in past few years. Parking at Warzsaw zoo entrance was nice for new years eve. And we had the zoo almost to ourselves next morning. :-D

I will avoid the road between Krakow and Zakopane, and Zakopane itself in the future. Fooled me twice, had enough of impossible traffic and crowds. Mind you, the mountains look nice, I just wish I could actually enjoy skiing/hiking them.

Herebelow a short list of our tour of Poland.

We got into the Country from Czech border and left at the German one close to Görlitz.

To cross the Czech Republic on motorways you need to buy their vignette, pay attention on differences among being under or over 3.5t.

Ceský Tešín (Czech Republic-Poland border)

Oswiecim (Auschwitz)

Krakow

Wieliczka (Salt Mine)

Czestochowa (Jasna Góra Monastery and Black Madonna)

Warsaw

Gdansk (Possible journey by small ship to Westerplatte, site of World War II first battle)

Sopot

Malbork (Impressive Castle)

Torun (town of astronomer Copernicus)

Poznan

Wroclaw

Zgorzelec (Poland-Germany Border at Görlitz)

Max

Isn't/wasn't there some ambiguity over tolls in Poland. I seem to remember indignant posts a few years back from people who had been fined for not having paid a toll (or not bought a vignette) for one particular road to, I think, Warsaw, where the need to pay was not adequately clear?

johnval - 2020-01-25 10:22 AM

Anyone toured Poland. Thinking of going in September.

Spent years touring in Poland as it quickly became one of my favourite countries. Beautiful country with very friendly and helpful people. There are a number of good campsites to stay on but equally you can find good spots to overnight on restaurant carparks if having a meal there, just ask the staff. Campsite prices range from as little as £4 to £10 or £12 a night depending on facilities. A £4 a night site i stayed on included EHU as well! No restaurant or snack bar but that didn't matter as there was an excellent restaurant less than a mile away.

No need to cook in your mh as eating out is very cheap, decent fresh cooked meals at sensible prices. The Masurian lake district area in the north east is one of my favourite areas....the equivalent of our Lake District but not packed out with tourists and no shops flogging overpriced tourist tat. I'm not that keen on wandering around cities, preferring small towns and villages as cities tend to be too 'touristy', but the old part of Krakow is worth a visit.

In short, your money will go a lot further than in UK. Fuel cost is lower than ours and always has been. Bottled gas is also dirt cheap (though you need to buy a regulator which costs about £7 quid). If on refillable, thats available at many stations such as Orlen. Plenty of supermarkets if you need to do a food shop and Biedronka stores are everywhere, but work in cash only....no cards. It's worth taking some zloty with you anyway as a cafe or restaurant won't appreciate you wanting to pay for a beer or coffee by card!

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-25 6:35 PM

Isn't/wasn't there some ambiguity over tolls in Poland. I seem to remember indignant posts a few years back from people who had been fined for not having paid a toll (or not bought a vignette) for one particular road to, I think, Warsaw, where the need to pay was not adequately clear?

I remember that poster too Brian though can't remember the detail of how they got fined. There are only five stretches of toll anyway and this link should help the op.

https://www.tolls.eu/poland

Archived