MOT Advisories, does this make any sense ?

BS20

2005 2.2 HDI Peugeot Boxer 23,000 miles passed MOT today with one advisory.

'Emissions too clean to register'.

Am I missing something as I thought that low emissions are a good thing. If so why an advisory.

The engine was hot when I drove in as I had done 15 miles on the motorway beforehand,

There are plenty of on-line comments about this.

It’s touched on in the MOT Inspection Manual that says:

Maximum engine revs cannot be achieved on some vehicles due to design features. If this is the case, the vehicle must be tested as presented. Such vehicles, as well as some with low emission diesel engines (mainly Euro IV and onwards) may fail to trigger a reading on the Diesel Smoke Meter (DSM).

If you cannot get a reading or the DSM shows an error, you should mark the printout to show that the emissions limits were tested and met but the DSM could not register the reading.

If you cannot print out the results from the meter, write down the following details and keep them for 3 months:

test station number

tester’s name

date and time

test number

vehicle type

vehicle registration number

that the vehicle passed the emissions test

no print out was produced due to low emissions

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-29 5:22 PM

If you cannot get a reading or the DSM shows an error, you should mark the printout to show that the emissions limits were tested and met but the DSM could not register the reading.

no print out was produced due to low emissions

But there’s no suggestion that it should be marked as an MOT advisory.

I’ve had this occur on my car before. When this has happened it’s been marked on the emissions test print out as above but the MOT is given as a pass with no advisories.

Similar topic! Took my V70 in for the 2nd MOT not even run in at 150,000 miles it failed on emissions. It turned out it was left outside for some time before being tested and wasn't fully warmed when they tested it. I then took it to the Volvo dealer who said that they had never?? had an emissions MOT failure. They clearly made sure it was fully warmed up before the test and it passed.

In future I will only book an MOT for a specific time and wait to take the vehicle in nice and warm unless we move on to electric powered.

As I said above there is a good deal of on-line discussion about this, including queries from MOT-test inspectors on what should be recorded and how/where the record should be made.

https://tinyurl.com/w6lsn9n

Provided that the vehicle owner understands that the ‘emissions too clean/low’ comment does not mean that there is a fault with the vehicle itself, I would have thought that the comment appearing on the MOT-test certificate is harmless even if it is shown as an advisory-notice.

(If anything appeared on a MOT-test certificate for my vehicles and I did not understand what the comment/advisory-notice meant, I’d ask the MOT-test station for an explanation.)

FWIW, my interpretation of a similar advisory in 2017 was a) that the lack of a reading was good news i.e. a very clean exhaust, and b) that I was being informed accordingly - hence the "advisory" note. OTOH, if the advisory had been that the exhaust emissions were only just below the fail level, that would be a different matter.

Reminds me of a Marty Feldman sketch from some years back. Marty was an airline pilot. He switched on the P/A and announced "Ladies and gentlemen, there is nothing to worry about". Then switched off the P/A. Result - chaos! Perhaps your tester was the shade of Marty Feldman! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-30 7:34 PM

Reminds me of a Marty Feldman sketch from some years back. Marty was an airline pilot. He switched on the P/A and announced "Ladies and gentlemen, there is nothing to worry about". Then switched off the P/A. Result - chaos! Perhaps your tester was the shade of Marty Feldman! :-D

You want to get on a plane in Kano to fly to Lagos and after 10 minutes of flight the announcement is made "Ladies and Gentlemen (Pause) There is a problem ( even longer pause) Cannot make you Tea or Coffee machine not working.

:-D :-D

Or, as experienced on a cruise last year in the middle of the ocean just after two am

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a situation on level five in the engine room, the situation is fire.

Then nothing for ten minutes , when the Captain came on and told us it was a faulty censor, bang go's another nights sleep. lol.

Next day a seasoned cruiser said that you shouldn't worry as worse things happen at sea, not exactly sure where she was. lol

Pete

Paul- - 2020-01-31 7:08 PM

I use premium diesel and synthetic oil as recommended and get a negative reading every year

So you're sucking up other vehicles emissions from the atmosphere? I think you ought to invest in that fuel!

Deneb - 2020-02-01 12:17 PM

Paul- - 2020-01-31 7:08 PM

I use premium diesel and synthetic oil as recommended and get a negative reading every year

So you're sucking up other vehicles emissions from the atmosphere? I think you ought to invest in that fuel!

Well, it seems I might have to eat my hat!

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/can-diesel-engines-clean-urban-air/amp/

breakaleg - 2020-01-31 10:50 AM

Or, as experienced on a cruise last year in the middle of the ocean just after two am

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a situation on level five in the engine room, the situation is fire.

Then nothing for ten minutes , when the Captain came on and told us it was a faulty censor, bang go's another nights sleep. lol.

Next day a seasoned cruiser said that you shouldn't worry as worse things happen at sea, not exactly sure where she was. lol

Pete

Heard a better one than that and yes it actually happened.

A cruise ship taking on water, passengers and staff waiting for a command that never came. Some members of the cruise ships band went to the bridge only to find it deserted! One guy fiddles around with the radio and eventually figures how to work it.

"Mayday Mayday Mayday this is the SS Whatever and we're sinking"

Rescue reply; "Please give your co-ordinates Captain".

SS Whatever; "i'm not the Captain.....i'm a guitarist in a band"

Rescue reply (now shouting angrily); "Why are you on the bridge....get me the Captain immediately and get off that bridge"

SS Whatever; "I can't....the Captain has abandoned the ship"

The radio call exchange is on YouTube and all were safely rescued.

Archived