Albania?

Guest rael

Getting the ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa in the summer, first time in Greece since 2004. Considering a detour into Albania. Seems to be a few sites around Sarande and Ksamil, anyone been or have any recommendations? If we do go into Albania it will be a short visit and needs to be coastal as we want to get over to Pelion and then Athens before getting the ferry back from Patras.

Hi

We toured around albania in june,it was really superb. We came in from macedonia,down to the greek border then did a loop driving inland to montenegro and across to the black sea. Coming down the coast the most southerly places we stayed overnight were bunec beach (v good) borsch beach (excellent) and drimadhe beach (ok) all were free camping on the beach but they all had nice cheap campsites aswell. If you could make it in to girokaster it's well worth a look and a good cheap motorhome stop there. The roman ruins at butrint near the greek border are in my opinion unmissable and the parking is free. If you don't have a greencard you must buy one at the border which is very easy and cost £44.50 for 15 days. There are lots of other good places to see but would probably be too far north. Hope this helps.

Simon

But check first with your insurer, as not all cover non-EU states such as Albania, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro etc. Green card in any case now essential for travel in EU.

Buying insurance at the border may not be straightforward, unless the documents are available in English, as what is covered will be unclear, but likely to be no more than third party only.

Also, check carefully which states inspect vehicles on exit for signs of accident damage, as if any is visible some impound the vehicle on suspicion that you may have been involved in an accident but not completed insurance formalities. Foreign vehicles should also be inspected for damage on entry, and any visible damage recorded on a form a copy of which should be handed to you. The default assumption in the absence of that form is that the vehicle had no damage on entry.

I have no experience of this, but understand that the entry procedure is often neglected because it is tedious. So, any pre-existing damage can become quite problematic on exit.

If you don't have one, it would be a good idea to obtain a European Accident Statement form for insurance purposes, which anyone involved in an accident with your vehicle should also complete and sign.

You would be wise to check, and follow up on, these issues with your insurer before getting too committed, in case their response is a show-stopper for you.

Thanks folks. Yes the insurance will probably be a hassle, typical UK insurance companies, go somewhere a little different and they freak out. When I lived in Germany my green card covered all the countries in Europe automatically.

rael - 2020-01-30 8:29 PM

Thanks folks. Yes the insurance will probably be a hassle, typical UK insurance companies, go somewhere a little different and they freak out. When I lived in Germany my green card covered all the countries in Europe automatically.

Download the Camping-Schätze des Balkans pdf file off this link;

https://www.camping-balkan.net/

There are 14 campsites all with gps co-ordinates in Albania. I visited in 2013 and yes you will certainly need green card. The border guys won't even bother looking at your 'normal' insurance docs. UK insurance has always been awkward by comparison to Germany or Netherlands. Try Scenic if having problems. Alternatively if you cannot find any that will insure then you are left with buying at the border.

As i said in the 1st reply buying the insurance at the border is completely hassle free. I somerimes think that if people look into every little obstacle then they can end up doing nothing. All the motorhomers i spoke to there bought there greencard at the border.

sreve - 2020-01-30 10:07 PM

As i said in the 1st reply buying the insurance at the border is completely hassle free. I somerimes think that if people look into every little obstacle then they can end up doing nothing. All the motorhomers i spoke to there bought there greencard at the border.

Must admit the only obstacle i had in Albania was on exiting.....and a stern looking border guard pulled the van. He shone his torch looking at every damn screw in the headlining. I knew straight away what he was looking for but i don't do that stuff so he wasn't going to find any!

I didn't buy at the border as the company i was with covered me with green card. 2018 i was in five non-EU countries on green card.

Archived