Hymer b644 Aluminium roof foot plate / leak

Diane DFV

Hi all,

The buytl seal on my rear roof foot plate seems to have gone so that when i stand on the plate water seaps out the sides a little and i'm not sure it the bolt thread seals have gone either.

I have just removed and changed my rear roof light-vent due to a leak and have found that the wood under the vinyl celing covering is wet. This could be due to the leaky roof light but i suspect the foot plate could also be the suspect.

The vinyl covering is decieving as it appears to be dry to touch from inside but in actual fact the wood above is wet.

I could get a damp meter to test the areas i suspect under the foot plate but i guess that this could also be a waste of time - any thoughts?

Has anyone has removed the foot plate, cleaned and resealed and if so how the bolt fixings are attached and if so how and any tips as i dont want to remove the bolts and find that i cant bolt them down again (is there a an internal frame with a thread for the bolt..?

I don't want to just seal around the edges and trap water between the plate and the roof so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I guess i could remove completely and if the fixings are damaged i could clean/ dry and then use sikaflex 512

Hi Diane,

Also new on this forum, but just been renovating my 1998 B544 Hymer, including external seals, roof lights etc. Been quite the reno! Also had damp inside in places, all good now so far :)

My Hymer also has a checkered roof plate if this is what you mean? But its only attached by Sikaflex/ Sealant - No bolts.

------------ A few questions so maybe we can figure it out together---------------

What year is your Hymer?

Can you upload a pic?

How close is the roof plate to the rear SEAM seal that joints the roof plate to the GPR

curve section on the back?

For myself, i think that the sealant Hymer uses has a respectable life of 20 Years, after that, time to replace. I replaced all the roof lights and the sealant was shot, but also resealed all the gutter strips + Top seam seals as it uses the same sealant. When the moisture gets to the wood it can ' Wick' quite far.

Also a top product if you suspect leaking 'through hull fittings' is 'captain tolley's creeping crack cure' been from i marine background myself, its good stuff, but you need to apply it many times and then go over with Sikaflex or something similar to really make sure. It runs/penetrates anywhere water can go and then seals it.

MarkHymer - 2020-02-03 7:47 PM...…………………..What year is your Hymer?

Can you upload a pic?

How close is the roof plate to the rear SEAM seal that joints the roof plate to the GPR curve section on the back?…………………….

It would probably also be helpful if the Model is quoted, as there are many Hymers, and they are not all made in identical fashion!

This should not be left to chance as, irrespective of the possible leak, if the plate is de-bonding it presents a considerable risk were it to come adrift while travelling and strike following traffic.

Archived