B***** becoming clearer

Billggski

The government has announced more detail of post brexit travel arrangements, the pet passport and free mobile roaming is to be scrapped, green cards will be needed for driving, international driving permits and ehic cards still not decided. Passports may need 15 months left.

Duty free allowed from NI to the mainland, but not vice versa.

Businesses will have to obtain and pay for an ATA carnet to move samples or equipment to europe or NI.

You will need a visa if staying more than 90 in 180 days.

All from Jan. 1 2021, so dog owners will need to be sorted at the vets before August.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

These government websites do seem to obfuscate the facts unnecessarily, my reading is that:

Passport : you may need to renew your passport because you must have 6 months remaining.

EHIC might not be valid

Driving: you may need extra documents (whatever they may be) and then goes on to state that you will require a green card and GB sticker.

Duty Free some rules will temporarily change

Pet Passport will no longer be valid

Visa/permit may be required for longer stays

Boarder control – a number of maybes

Mobile phone roaming: the guarantee of free roaming will end.

It would have been better if the government website had just presented a table showing definites and maybes.

Clive_Adams - 2020-01-30 2:39 PM

Have read with a vested interest the piece on pet travel, and as far as I can make out it’s all dependant on IF.

It depends on what listed status we achieve and that’s not likely to be known anytime soon, or am I missing something here.

Well the website is quite definitive in saying that the pet passport scheme will become invalid from January 1 2021 so perhaps that decision has already been made?

BruceM - 2020-01-30 2:46 PM

Clive_Adams - 2020-01-30 2:39 PM

Have read with a vested interest the piece on pet travel, and as far as I can make out it’s all dependant on IF.

It depends on what listed status we achieve and that’s not likely to be known anytime soon, or am I missing something here.

Well the website is quite definitive in saying that the pet passport scheme will become invalid from January 1 2021 so perhaps that decision has already been made?

Bruce if you follow the link in the OP and to the second link it takes you to the bit where it says IF we get Listed 1, Listed 2 or unlisted. Its clearly written for new pets and travel, it does say will have tp apply for a new UK pet passport, but it doesn't mention current passport holders, most of the other conditions for my dog are already fulfilled. I don't think I am supposed to get her microchipped again?, hopefully sense will prevail and it will all become crystal clear in the very near future.

Having looked at this subject in Chatterbox, at the risk of having my head shot off, can we wait and see?

For well over 2 years we’ve heard one side saying it will be the end of life as we know it, and the other side saying it’ll be the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe, just maybe, it’ll be somewhere in between?

I’m not rushing out to change my passport (however It does run out this September so I was going to get a new one in March anyway ) ;-) .

In the 1970’s and early 80’s I travelled between UK and Germany numerous times. I had my documents checked (and car searched on many occasions) leaving the UK, at the France / Belgium border, Belgium / Dutch border and Dutch / German border. On reverse trip same again, but the car was usually emptied at Dover to try to find duty free booze and fags.

Will those days come back, don’t know, but it won’t stop me travelling onto the continent.

Please, no ‘Chatterbox’ replies. :-D

Sapper520 - 2020-01-30 4:01 PM

Having looked at this subject in Chatterbox, at the risk of having my head shot off, can we wait and see?

For well over 2 years we’ve heard one side saying it will be the end of life as we know it, and the other side saying it’ll be the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe, just maybe, it’ll be somewhere in between?

I’m not rushing out to change my passport (however It does run out this September so I was going to get a new one in March anyway ) ;-) .

In the 1970’s and early 80’s I travelled between UK and Germany numerous times. I had my documents checked (and car searched on many occasions) leaving the UK, at the France / Belgium border, Belgium / Dutch border and Dutch / German border. On reverse trip same again, but the car was usually emptied at Dover to try to find duty free booze and fags.

Will those days come back, don’t know, but it won’t stop me travelling onto the continent.

Please, no ‘Chatterbox’ replies. :-D

Absolutely right - it'll be just like the old days - when touring on the continent was an adventure.

Although we won't need to change currency at each border like we used to.

I'm sure we will soon get used to it.

;-)

I used to have some old Hens that were always clucking.

Somehow I am reminded of them. :D

ps, I also did a lot of travel around Europe. The only inconveniences I remember were fogged in Airports and delayed flights. Although it did take longer to sort out my expenses that involved 4 or 5 different currencies. :D

Sapper520 - 2020-01-30 4:24 PM

Didn’t even have a Passport either! Travelled on my Army ID with a form (in several languages) signed by the Unit Clerk, telling the border guards I had permission to travel........those were the days. :-D

And did you fill up jerry cans with the German tax free fuel so you could get home on the cheap?

witzend - 2020-01-30 3:12 PM

Street partys and fireworks in most major citys tomorrow at midnight with church bells ringing & new public holiday fory independence day from 31st of January 2021

Therefore you obtain the nickname of BELLENDER ??

niktam - 2020-01-30 5:32 PM

Didn’t even have a Passport either! Travelled on my Army ID with a form (in several languages) signed by the Unit Clerk, telling the border guards I had permission to travel........those were the days. :-D

And did you fill up jerry cans with the German tax free fuel so you could get home on the cheap?

Absolutely! Final fill up at the BP Garage at Wankum, two Jerry cans in the boot. For a little garage in the middle of nowhere, on the German / Dutch border, it seemed to do a great trade. :-D

Sapper520 - 2020-01-30 7:32 PM

Absolutely! Final fill up at the BP Garage at Wankum, two Jerry cans in the boot. For a little garage in the middle of nowhere, on the German / Dutch border, it seemed to do a great trade. :-D

They used to go and retrieve all the cans that were dumped. That reminds me I must take a look in the shed!

niktam - 2020-01-30 8:55 PM

Sapper520 - 2020-01-30 7:32 PM

They used to go and retrieve all the cans that were dumped. That reminds me I must take a look in the shed!

Whatever happens, for the next two years we’ll be travelling across the channel at least half a dozen times a year.......one of my lads has been posted to The Netherlands, right on the German border. ;-)

.....and now Boris Johnson is in charge!

Fills you full of confidence doesn't it?

(Sacked by the Telegraph for lying to the editor. Sacked by the conservatives for lying to the leader, twice, divorced from his wife for lying about affairs, gave his lover extra grants when mayor, insists there will be no border checks between NI and the mainland.........as the ferry companies set up border posts)

Archived