Spare wheel on roof

Tony M

Anyone know where I can obtain a suitable bracket for mounting the spare wheel on the roof of my Wingamm Oasi? Also if I find one would one of the Sikaflex products be suitable for fixing and if so which one? There seem to be several different numbers with similar characteristics. Tony M

Hi Tony, suitable bracketry aside there are several problems with putting your spare up on the roof.

1/ Spare wheels are heavy and it will take a lot of lifting to get it up there.

2/ Spare wheels are heavy and putting one on the roof will not enhance your motorohmes handling at all.

3/ a spare wheel on the roof will add to wind resistance and adversely affect your fuel consumption.

4/ you might find that in the future you'd rather have a sat dish or tv aerial where the spare wheel is, if you glued the bracketry down with Sikaflex you might have problems removing it.

D.

To Dave's list I'd add that trying to get a spare onto/off the roof in an emergency, in the dark, on a wet night, would be a bit close to suicidal.

I would definately check whether Wingamm consider the roof adequate for this type of load, or for adhesive fixing.

I wouldn't personally trust anything stuck down to restrain the type of weight you're contemplating: just consider the consequences should it come off!  I think I'd want a bolt through fixing, with a reinforcing plate underneath, but I wouldn't want that on the roof.

What about the rear wall?  It's nice and flat on a Wingamm and the spare should be able to be carried vertically on that under a suitable cover.  Much more handy when (if) you need it.

Guest peter
I would just glue the spare wheel directly to the roof. As its quicker to do and if you buy some of this instant tyre repair stuff you won't need it anyway. If you are unfortunate enough to roll your van over it will act as a good shock absorber. :D

Guest starspirit
I used to carry a spare wheel on the roof rack of an old CF Autohome and on the one time that I got a puncture (M6 - WET - Windy - dark) it was a pain in the bum, and very mucky, getting the wheels down and up again and not something I would recommend.

Thanks for all your comments. Wingamm do offer the option of a spare on the roof and in fact its shown on an Oasi 500 in their brochure. I just thought it might be easier to source a suitable bracket in this country rather than ordering one from Italy. I did consider having the tyres treated with one of the sealers but not sure how effective they are. I know their blurb makes it sound an attractive option but not heard any long term reports. Anyone had any experience of them and is it really wise to ditch the spare when travelling to Greece and Turkey?

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the van in question, so wonder if the wheel on the roof would cost you more in ferry fares a tolls.

Does nobody make an emergency spare for commercial wheels? I can think of reasons why they shouldn't, but feel the same way about car spare wheels.

I had an old 1979 American Pace Arrow that had the spare on the roof and as is sod's law when I had a puncture it was raining and blowing a gale. First problem was even clinbing onto the roof in the strong winds, second was walking along the roof during the gale, Thirdly getting the wheel off it was too heavy to carry back down the ladder and as I did not have a rope up there with me I decided the only option was to drop it over the side hoping it would not bounce back into the road or back against the RV, I was lucky and managed to drop it onto the grass verge flatways. Having changed the wheel what was I going to do with the flat tyre and wheel I wrapped it up in an old blanket and took it inside the van.

I feel that puncture sealant would have been a better option espescially on that occassion!

If you do go ahead and mount the spare on the roof make sure that you keep the spare wheel covered to protect it fro the sun.

Rgards Pat

Bad bad idea, When I was in the army from time to time we placed wheels on the roof of our landys and one knows all about it.

I would forget the idea, look for away to keep the weight low, can,t it fit in between the chassis legs ??? or can,t you make up a real mounting from the chassis not the rear end of the motorhome.

what ever forget sticking it on the roof.

terry

Archived