Panel van dimensions

Simon

Does anyone know of any websites that give internal dimensions and possibly outline plans of panel vans - I`m considering buying a 3 to 4 year old van and getting it converted. I`ve found some sites that give dimensions of new vans but not ones for the age I`m looking for. The layout plans are useful for determining the size of the wheel boxes etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

As a very GENERAL guide, SWB will have a 2.4m platform, LWB will have a 3.0m.....but I repeat, that is only a guestimate.

Reckon on 1.2m approx between wheel boxes, and about 1.65m usable internal width, although the overall width outside will be nearer 1.8m.

Roof on a semi-hi will be about 1.65m. A proper hi-roof will be much more comfortable, thought I can stand not too uncomfortably in a semi-hi. Drop the floor in the area you want to stand in? :-S Cut a hole in the floor and stand on the grass in a lo-roof. 8-)

Sliding side door will be about 1.2m, and side slam door will be about 0.6m.

All the above are off the top of my head, but might guide you towards areas that will cause you problems. Pick up a catalogue/spec sheet from your local main dealer.

I don,t think dimensions should come in to it at the moment Simon. Whatever the measurements and shape of the van are, this is something you will have to address as work in progress unfolds.

First you must chose a van that suits your overall requirements with regards to make/model,size and everyday driving etc, and the layout you have in mind. Width will be the most important factor depending on your bed layout. If its a transverse bed then the wider Fiat/Pegeut vans will be better, but as with all van conversions be prepared for some compromises.

You say you are having the van converted so I presume its not a DIY project, in which case you should first find a reputable firm and and between you try and come up with the type of camper you want and one that is also a practical proposition for the convertors themselves.

I went to the dealers for the various makes of vans and asked for brochures. These gave all the detail you could possibly need, but of course only valid for this year's models.

Two things to watch out for are the intrusions of the rear wheel-arches, and the fact that most panel vans taper up to the roof.

You also need to think of the advantages and disadvantages of a factory hi-top vs a custom high roof.

Many thanks for your replies. I`ve got a basic design in mind with a transverse rear bed. I like the idea of the Renault Master - the Devon Monaco has a 6`1" bed, but the load width for this van is only 1764 mm! (This dimension is not between the wheel tubs). If anyone has a Master and do some basic measurements I`d be grateful. I hope to do some of the work myself and use a converter to do the rest.   

I only casualy looked over the devon as it had their usual narrow bed, but I wonder if they have used the 'open' panel space between pilars to achive this wider dimension?

You need to get round the shows with a camera and tape measure, I've heard some people do this ;-)

Simon - 2007-03-05 8:24 PM Many thanks for your replies. I`ve got a basic design in mind with a transverse rear bed. I like the idea of the Renault Master - the Devon Monaco has a 6`1" bed, but the load width for this van is only 1764 mm! (This dimension is not between the wheel tubs). If anyone has a Master and do some basic measurements I`d be grateful. I hope to do some of the work myself and use a converter to do the rest.   

Bear in mind that unless the converter has already converted the type of van you select, he'll probably have to make the templates for internal divisions from scratch, and that will take longer and so potentially cost more, than working inside a familiar shell.  Therefore, if you like the Traffic/Movano, seek out converters conversant with those vans.  Whether you can get a comfortable length bed across one of these, will depend on how tall you are, and the height at which you mount the bed.  If you want to optimise bed length, you may find you have little choice about how high it has to be. 

The Monaco looks good until you get to the bed width - which is only about 4' 0"!

There is a self build motor caravan club where you should find a lot of information from people who have done this already.  You may find this a useful source of all sorts of information on suppliers, vehicles and converters.

I have got a converter in mind - Wyvern, who recently had a conversion on a master featured in MMM. As yet I haven`t had a chance to get in and speak to them. The bed in the Murvi is only 50" wide and we manage in that fine! Years ago we had an Autosleeper Talbot CXL and slept crossways or should I say diagonally and I`m only 5`8" - I don`t want a repeat of this!

Simon.

As the owner of the 'Wyvern Wanderer II' you mention, I should be able to help - and I can.

First up, I measured the Devon double bed. No way is it 6' 1" long!

I have (measured by myself) pretty complete internal dimensions for the Master which I used as a basis for my design. The design turned out to be accurate to within a mm or so, so I can't have made too many mistakes.

If you send me a pm with your email address and home address, I'll try and send you a copy of the measurement diagrams before I leave for South America (not permanently!). But you'll probably have to talk to me to understand them fully.

Mel E

====

Simon,

Incidentally, our Master has three beds:

- two bunks at the back measuring 2'5" by 6' and 5'9" respectively (approx)

- a settee/single dinette/double dinette that converts into a bed 6'6" X 4'6" (it's slightly longer than the standard double).

And there's still room for a 90 litre fridge, a wardrobe, about 6' of kitchen work top with full hob/oven/grill/sink and a bathroom with decent shower space!

Mel E

====

Archived