Reich shower tap microswitch

HymerHobo

Hi. Has anyone replaced the microswitch in an older-model Reich shower tap? The type that was typically fitted to late 90's Hymers? If so, did you have to completely dismantle the tap body, undoing both the front bolts and rear screws? I would have done this already, but there is insufficient hose at the rear to allow the tap to be extricated from the back-of-shower cavity with the hoses connected, and I am wary of undoing the screw-type hose connectors in case they don't screw back up without leaking. I'll try to attach some pics. Bear with me - this is my first post to this forum 8-)

TIA.

PhotoPictureResizer_200205_12514755783_crop_2163x2353-1024x1114.thumb.jpg.4d6790e8962f2a118dc44c882f3906ce.jpg

I replaced the microswitch of my Reich kitchen tap, which is similar in components to the photos in Derek's post, and it's worth noting that the machine screws holding the cartridge in place have torx T08 heads, so you will need the special tool.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dogher-349-T08-Dest-Standard-Crv-Torx-T8X75/303349240301?hash=item46a10611ed:g:WxAAAOSwishdtGl6

Derek Uzzell - 2020-02-05 3:49 PM

The 3 screws in the photo in the original posting have ordinary slotted heads - which is what one might expect with a tap more than 20 years old.

Or are you saying that, if the tap's cartridge needs to be replaced as well as the micro-switch unit, Torx-head screws must be used?

I was merely pointing out that my (i.e. some, not necessarily all) Reich taps have torx headed machine screws holding the cartridge in, which I had to undo in order to be able to feed the cable of the replacement microswitch down the tortuous route to the connections below the worktop. I didn't need to replace the cartridge, just gain access to the cable pathway.. I had a torx key set with me but the smallest was T10 and I it turned out that I needed a T08, which at that time I didn't even kow existed. (There is a T09 and T05 too if you are interested.)

Amazingly, the touring couple we were with had one in their toolbox (and he didn't know what it was either) which I was able to borrow. You can buy a tiny version as well as the "screwdriver" version I listed. You can even get a set of three small sizes for small money. I always carry a spare microswitch and I now carry one of these:

638786417_TorxT08.jpg.fc9928062897169b1fdf82064eb1a30f.jpg

Archived