new member...any info?

jackie

Have just joined this forum.....thinking of purchasing a new motorhome i near future...Impressed by Weinsberg new quality....friends of mine hiring a new Weinsberg in France through Evolution Motor Homes, run by English family near Bergerac. Very friendly and have all the right options.

Probably will wait for review about the vehicle.

Any info from members?

Cheers

Guest starspirit

If you can hire one for the week / weekend before buying you will discover the van's shortcomings.

They all have shortcomings and the more experience you gain the more you will find these and the more they will irritate you!

Some 'design' faults are easier to live with than others, and some will be acceptable to one and not to another, so that is why it is important to try before you part with your hard earned cash.

Totally agree with try before you buy.

Beds are important. What seems a good idea i.e making up a double bed with umpteen cushions is not that much fun when they start sliding around in the middle of the night, or when you turn over on your elbow or hip, either bit falls through the gap !

The MMM reviews are very good, but personal experience is so much better.

Rgds

Hello Jackie,

You didn't say whether you had any experience of caravans or motorhomes. We had always nurtured a desire for a motorhome but I started looking in earnest at what to buy and finally took the plunge and paid a deposit last November after 10 months of research.

Our Knaus should arrive from Germany in June (1 month late) and we can't wait to try it out. I found this forum and its search facility enormously helpful. I read many of the magazines and settled on a subscription to MMM. I visited numerous dealers and the London Show.

I gradually compiled a list of every aspect I could think of, good and bad, with lots of ideas plagiarised from this forum and set about finding the van which ticked the most positives and fewest negatives.

You will find many warnings of people making a snap purchase, ending up with the wrong van and having to sell it at a loss and buy another so the earlier advice to hire first if you can would be ideal. I couldn't, so once I was absolutely sure of the van I wanted to buy, I spent a whole day in and around it, trying every catch, switch, seat, bed, locker etc and had a decent test drive on various types of road before I signed the contract.

Did it work? Ask me in September! In the meantime my advice as a fellow Newbie is take your time, do your research thoroughly and don't hesitate to ask speciifc questions of the experts you will find on this forum. (Use the search facility first in case they have already answered a similar question) you will be delighted at how helpful and knowledgeable they are. When you decide on the van you want, negotiate the best possible deal you reasonably can, if you don't ask for another discount, how will you know what you could have got? But don't be too aggressive, you may need the dealers help later. Accessories you really want can often be thrown into the mix to get the best price but bear in mind after - market fitment may be cheaper (see Dave Newell's postings amongst others.)

Good luck and happy hunting.

Bob

Additional to the above, is get yourselves a copy of "Go Motorhoming Europe" see www.go-motorhoming.co.uk, you will find the information in this one book invaluable.

Give very careful thought to where you think you would like to go.  If the idea of travel off the beaten track, visiting smaller towns and frequenting the less major roads appeals, do give careful thought to the width, as well as the length of your van.  Many are 2.3 metres wide, with a tendency for that to be creeping upwards and, although prefectly legal, vans of this width do not really fit into a single parking bay.  They also require careful negotiating along a surprising number of roads throughout UK and mainland Europe, especially if you meet another motorhome, a bus or a truck.

If you intend doing a lot of travel outside UK, do at least consider buying a lhd van in France or Germany.  It makes the driving that bit easier, and the cost saving for not having the rhd chassis can be in the region of £4-5,000 (yes, that is thousands!) for exactly the same specification and finish.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
jackie - 2007-03-05 7:20 PM

Have just joined this forum.....thinking of purchasing a new motorhome i near future...Impressed by Weinsberg new quality....friends of mine hiring a new Weinsberg in France . . . Any info from members?

Cheers

Just spotted this thread when it was published in MMM.

We bought a (new) 670MQ in Germany in June of last year.

If this is similar to what you're considering, I'd be glad to (try to) answer any questions.

Archived