1997 peugeot boxer front wheel bearing (spacer)

jimuck

The front wheel bearing of my 1997 Peugeot boxer based motorhome apparently needed replaced for mot and the garage lost the spacer between the two bearings.

To cut a long story short, after other issues, I would not return the motorhome to them again as it has been three times now to get problems they caused fixed.(legal action is ensuing).

I have now organised another garage to try and renew the bearings (which are readily available) but they have informed me that my particular model has a spacer between the bearings. They contacted Peugeot and it appears that it was only fitted to a short run of vehicles then superseded and this particular part is now discontinued and as such not available to order.

My question is

Does any body know where I might get this hub bearing ring.(x23f 55 50 b 35a 3337 31-36),

Can a newer/ different type bearing setup be fitted and if so who could advise me,

Any other advice?

James

Have you tried Nick at Coastal Motorhomes 01202 978554?

He really is most helpful and, whilst he might not be able to supply the spacer ring, he will probably be able to tell you if the bearing set up that superseded yours will fit your hub(s). If it doesn't, he should be able to supply replacement hubs. Not the cheapest option but if it means getting your van back on the road, a workable option. As an alternative, if the spacer is a reasonably simple design a new one could be turned up using the one from the opposite side as a pattern.

FD

thanks for the quick reply. I will try coastal as you suggest( I have already bought other things from them and also found them very helpful)

I have thought about getting one made but I would need to completely strip down the other side to get access to the spacer. big job and would need to replace bearings as well but still might be an option.

thanks

James

jimuck - 2020-02-20 12:22 PM

My question is

Does any body know where I might get this hub bearing ring.(x23f 55 50 b 35a 3337 31-36),

Can a newer/ different type bearing setup be fitted and if so who could advise me,

Any other advice?

James

I'd try ringing around Peugeot main dealers just in case they may have some left on the shelf they may suggest a alternative. Peugeot also have a help line you could try

A Fiat schematic of the hub/bearings that lists the spacers is here

https://fiat-pro.7zap.com/en/d94/pe/23033900-099/274/2+27402s04+2-0/

This Estonian webpage advertises a spacer with Part Number 7599266

https://apshop.eu/en/fiat-group/15504-fiat-group-7599266-fiat-group-spacer-7599266-0000000015504.html

but (as Brian B has said) the fact that the spacer has 18 different variants may mean that the 7599266 version would be unsuitable for James’s Boxer.

If, when the wheel bearings were originally installed, the appropriate spacer was chosen, it would probably be necessary to obtain the same specification spacer now, and that might mean removing the spacer from the opposite hub assembly to confirm its dimensions. And, if that had to be done, it might be simpler to have a spacer made as suggested above.

Anyway, the implication of the on-line advert is that the spacers may still be on the Fiat parts list even if they are no longer on the Peugeot list.

If it was me, I'd do both sides as a matter of course. If one side's failed, the other has the same potential and you end up back where you started. The additional benefit is that you recover the bearing spacer so it can be matched or used as a pattern to turn up another.

'Grinding' an over size spacer to size isn't a good plan unless you've got access to a surface grinder that can do it accurately. Not a job for a bench grinder or angle grinder!

FD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks to all who replied so quickly unlike me who have taken a while. Main reason being trying to locate the spacers even with all the information you all gave. And of course the very windy weather we all have recently endured which meant I was most unhappy to take my motorhome out on the road.

Here is what I have achieved

I put the vehicle in to a reputable garage who replaced the bearings without the spacer ( at least they told me the issue) and I did about a hundred miles with this setup but after a short time the wheel was getting quite warm if not a bit hot. I jacked up the car and the wheel was stiff to turn so this would be causing the heat issue. I know from reading that the nut has to be torqued up very tight so thinking that this may be causing the bearings to be slightly out of line, I slackened the nut back ever so slightly so that there was no drag when turning the wheel but also no play either. I have done more than 200 miles now and everything seems fine with no drag on the wheel, no heat build up at all and no play in the bearings. As the bearings are very tight on the hub I am thinking that they should not move and also as this is on a motorhome which will only do about 2 to 3000 mile a year I feel that I should not have any more problems.

Thanks all for your help.

Unlike the later models that use one piece fixed bearings , your M/H model uses taper roller bearings

Taper roller must not be overtightened , that is why there are 18 different spacers available. There should be no play rocking the hub with the wheel off ,and possible just detectable play with the wheel on.

Brian B.

jimuck - 2020-03-09 10:05 PM

...I am thinking that they should not move and also as this is on a motorhome which will only do about 2 to 3000 mile a year I feel that I should not have any more problems...

If front hubs are designed to have wheel bearings with a spacer between them (as is plainly the case here) and a spacer is not fitted, there’s a strong likelihood that one or other of the bearings will soon fail.

Good luck, but I believe you’ll find no forum support for your optimism.

Yes you are all correct and my optimism is probably just that.

The two foreign sites recommended previously looked promising although they were only advertising one spacer as apposed to the 18 offered on the uk parts list, however I will persevere and see if I can get these bits somewhere.

thanks for making me see sense.

James

Archived