EU passport for dogs

Billggski

Further to the comments I made on the B****** thread.

Dogs can have an eu passport even after January, I knew US travellers have done this, but then found this.

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/942146/nick-freeman-celebrity-lawyer-dog-pet-passports-dual-nationality-brexit-mr-loophole

No proof of residence required, just the same details as for a present UK version. So pets can travel without restrictions.

(More than we will be able to do)

The key things to remember with an EU pet passport is that it must be obtained whilst the pet is in an EU country (ie not in the UK) and that all entries in it must be made by an EU vet – ie vaccinations etc which of course must be kept up to date. I believe the passport is valid up until the animal dies.

I'm not about to contradict Mr Loophole, who has a total disregard for morality by using any weakness he can find in the law to make a lot of money, but....isn't he missing the point, that a pet passport is needed to bring to dog into the Uk, as we want to keep rabies and for tapeworm out, so even if he has one issued in France, the requirements still apply? Or doesn't he care if these diseases come across our shores?

If the transition period is not extended and there is a trade agreement by year end then I suspect that there will be reciprocity as far as EU and UK pet passports are concerned as long as the UK continues with pet passports and maintains standards adherence. It’s likely to be one of the least contentious of the issues so easy to reach agreement on. If we crash out though on 31/12/2020 then it’s on to Plan ‘B’ . The only fly in the anointment would be if the EU no longer recognised UK vet qualifications as valid when it came to ratifying pet passports. That strikes me as unlikely at least in the short term.

Archived