Boxer x290 cigarette lighter socket

trialsrider

We were away in the van last weekend. I forgot to bring the mains adapter for the TV and had to use the 12v lighter adapter. This shouldn't have been an issue however all the 12v sockets in the living area (and powered by leisure battery) are usb type rather than cigarette lighter socket type. I resorted to having to switch on the ignition a turn and utilize the dash lighter socket and power the telly from there. Obviously the DRL came on but was I doing any harm to the engine electrics having the ignition switch in this position for several hours? I was worried about flattening the battery too.

I will fit a lighter socket in the living area as I have several things which require this rather than usb.

I do not see any reason why leaving the ignition turned ON for several hours should be a problem. The vehicle electronics are in this state while driving, and subject to a higher voltage.

You were correct to be cautious about the possibility of discharging the starter battery. In addition to the obvious non start situation,too deep a discharge would shorten the life of the starter battery, which may not be suitable for such use. This would not apply to a dual purpose battery such as the frequently mentioned Varta LFD90.

The 8W output of a USB to Cigar adaptor, is will not be sufficient to power your TV.

Alan

Alanb - 2020-02-25 5:47 PM

I do not see any reason why leaving the ignition turned ON for several hours should be a problem. The vehicle electronics are in this state while driving, and subject to a higher voltage.

You were correct to be cautious about the possibility of discharging the starter battery. In addition to the obvious non start situation,too deep a discharge would shorten the life of the starter battery, which may not be suitable for such use. This would not apply to a dual purpose battery such as the frequently mentioned Varta LFD90.

The 8W output of a USB to Cigar adaptor, is will not be sufficient to power your TV.

Alan

Thanks for the info. I'm relieved to hear I haven't jeopardized the circuitry. I'm going to fit a lighter socket in the habitation area this weekend.

Archived