Custom Checks Belgium

Yorkyrunner

Got pulled in by Police motor bike this week at Zeebrugge and checked all paperwork and even the diesel in tank. We spotted what looked like an unmarked police car parked roadside with a dome (camera?)on the roof about 2 miles before port. Out of the blue police motor bike pulled us over on last r/about into port (P&O} he took us into a large compound with quite a number of Police/Customs. We had to drive over what looked like a speed hump (weight Checker?) and wanted all vehicle paperwork, usual questions where have we been ,how long anything on board tobacco/alcahol/drugs etc. They said I would be breathalised (I was not as it turned out) They were very curteous and spoke good English. A young officer said they had been doing checks the day before in awful weather. Its the 1st time in 12 years of going abroad in M/H that we have been stopped. Is this the new system from us Brexiting. There were several other vehecles pulled in but we were the only M/H.Spoke to a couple of other M/H drivers on ferry and they were not pulled over.

They are certainly gearing up ready for Brexit Brits. I always used Dunkerque ferry port as it was less aggressive than Calais, but the last time i came back off tour, every single mh/camper was being searched. The hump you had to drive over, they watch your rear axle travel as that tells them if you've loaded up with booze.

Years ago when Belgium was the "go to" place for booze 'n baccy Brit day trippers, i'd only ever got pulled at Dover which at the time was notorious, but i felt sorry for a couple of lads on their first baccy run who got pulled by French police just after they crossed the border. They had most of their baccy seized. Police always used to hover around there looking for easy pickings and free fags.

Random roadside check by police tend more to concentrate on vehicle documentation though come next year they will be hauling in any overstayers and folk will leave with a hefty fine and marker on their passport. The fine will sting most folk but what will hurt more is the passport marker which instantly tells any border control you've been in trouble with whatever countries authorities and likely be denied entry.

Bulgarian police do a lot of random roadside checks looking for tourists as few realise you need a Vignette for every road....not just the motorway. The vignette costs peanut money but the fine is whatever they can extort for you.....and it's cash on demand. If you haven't enough cash they will march you to the nearest ATM!

Archived