OLD MOTORHOMES

niktam

I remember (just) my Dad's Dormobile based on a CA Bedford 15cwt it cost him £937 in 1968 and had the registration light blue SKL 608H. Sliding doors,3 speed box. No leisure battery. No toilet. 2 water carriers just inside the double back doors one either side. No hot water Just a manual sink pump for cold water.. No waste tank. No fridge. No oven. 2 gas rings. No AC,cruise,headrests etc. No 240v. Gas bottle under the floor.

Just one fluorescent tube connected to the cab battery. Foldy up roof with two beds on the roof of the van?

niktam - 2020-03-15 9:01 PM

I remember (just) my Dad's Dormobile based on a CA Bedford 15cwt it cost him £937 in 1968 and had the registration light blue SKL 608H. Sliding doors,3 speed box. No leisure battery. No toilet. 2 water carriers just inside the double back doors one either side. No hot water Just a manual sink pump for cold water.. No waste tank. No fridge. No oven. 2 gas rings. No AC,cruise,headrests etc. No 240v. Gas bottle under the floor.

Just one fluorescent tube connected to the cab battery. Foldy up roof with two beds on the roof of the van?

We had 3 of them from about 1958/9 until the mid 60's and 4 of us went all over Europe in them- Portugal, Dubrovnik, Naples etc etc Top speed generally 50mph, and 8-12 hr days driving down to get to the sun. No motorways except Germany and in Yugoslavia unmade roads which my father thought had done the suspension no good at all. Very happy days!

Wow. Stunning beast. I think Dennis paid about £160 for his in 1985. :-D

I wrote some fun nonsense on my blog about our early years in the Caravanette and then later the VW campers.

https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/earlyyears

Back in the late 70s,early 80s, when I worked for/as a Commercial vehicle body and coach builder, a customer brought in something similar looking, only it was a fibreglass shell. I can't pretend to know what make/model it was.

He had bought it, but only wanted the chassis, so had stripped out the furniture etc and wanted us to just remove, and then scrap, the body!?...

So, the the body was unceremoniously cut (hacked!) from the chassis and although it was still quite "complete", it remained dumped around the back by the scrap skip for years..until it finally got carted away! :-S

Archived