Flat Screen TVs AGAIN - sorry ;-)

Way2Go

I know we've covered this before so I appologise for bringing it up again.

We want to but a flat screen TV approx 15" - 17" to put in our MH.  We DON'T want a laptop as the TV will be suspended from the already fitted wall mounted bracket.

It doesn't need a DVD drive as we have one in the dash and the Freeview box if fitted in an adjacent cupboard.

I understand I don't have to worry about Pal v SECAM etc because since moving to digital this is no longer applicable . . . . so, are there any recommendations?

many thanks

W2G

p.s. As we will be viewing everything through the Freeview box can I get any TV or does it have to be digital??

E Buyer currently have a Techwood 15" LCD TV for just under £110. see here http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123265/rb/25878105446

Shop around there are some good deals to be had but look for the contrast ratio, it needs to be high. Also if you can view one working look at the viewing angle, especially as it will be effectively higher than your head see what it looks like when you're looking up towards it rather than down to it.

Tesco Home have some good deals but so do Asda and lots of others.

D.

Guest peter
starspirit - 2007-03-07 8:39 PM

Be VERY careful as some of the cheaper flat screen TVs are analogue only.

They all are. But some have an inbuilt digi-box. Others you have an external one, about £30. Or you use Satellite (also digital). The digi box converts a digital signal to analogue for the television.

Guest starspirit

Not everyone realises this Peter, as some people think that a flat LCD screen TV being new technology must be digital and analogue but only those usually costing over about £200 are both.

Not everyone wants two lots of cables and yards of wires and an extra power socket that a stand alone digibox plus analogue TV require.

This is good, thank you all.

Our new MH comes pre-wired and is already looked-up to a Freeview box which is stored in a cupboard.  On the outside of the cupboard is a wall mounted bracket awaiting a TV.  It's also pre-wired to the dash stereo which has been upgraded to a DVD player.

As we will be watching everything through the Freeview box can we presume we don't need a digital TV?

If that's the case can we get away with just an analogue one on the assumption that the digital signal with be converted for the analogue TV?

We know some of this has been covered in other threads but we don't want to misunderstand and buy something we have to throw away in 2 years time.

Many thanks for the feedback.

W2G 

Archived