2007 Adria Van Twin - comments?

b6x

Hi all. Good evening.

I'm getting pretty close to signing on the dotted line for a brand new 2007 model Adria Van Twin. Before I commit to the best part of 32 grand, does anyone have any good or bad comments on the Adria Van Twin? I drove the 100bhp version based on the new Ducato and it was a great drive. Very quiet and refined, however would maybe regret not going for the 130 MultiJet, so thats probably the one I'm going to order. We have a few small prerequisties... a small van, with internal space for two bikes, and a shower.

There's a couple of things I still need to double check and work out, like double checking that the Hobby Van/Globevan1 is not a better option?

The next hurdle to get my head around is the price, seeing it's possible to get so much more of a van on coachbuilt for the same money, but will possibly intend to use this one as a daily commuter too. Any comments on the resale value of the Adria?

Anyway, would be grateful of anyones comments, suggestions, warnings or encouragement for this massive leap. :-S

Thanks alot in advance for any help.

Steve

Steve,

1. Adriavan is too new a range to have any view of depreciation as yet. In general, van conversions seem to depreciate a bit faster than their coach built cousins - but it does depend on model.

2. At about this price you should also check out the van conversions from Moncayo (Spain) and the Trigano Tribute range and Sea (pronounced 'See-er') 5-van range, both from Italy. There is not a lot to choose between them in terms of build quality, but they offer different layouts. For my money, the Adria wastes far too much of its internal space as corridor.

3. If van conversions appear expensive compared with coach built motorhomes, it's because van conversions have to be built inside an existing vehicle. Coach builts are constructed from the inside out - first the cabinets, seats, fittings and equipment, then the walls, then the roof, so construction is much easier and can be more readily de-skilled. However, a van conversion retains the crash-worthiness of the original van; turn a coach-built over and very little of the structure will survive.

4. Also, you can take a van conversion just about anywhere - there isn't an ancient town centre in Europe that white van man cannot get into to make his deliveries. A coach built is over a foot wider, often has a long rear overhang, and is much easier to get stuck in!

Hope that helps.

Guest JudgeMental

I would personally go for a small coach built as they are more comfortable, better insulated , better for 4 season travel, and cheaper as well...

A panel van - is a narrow metal box and a difficult vehicle to insulate and ventilate adequately.

As an example, I just picked a new LHD hymer van at random from www.mobile.de and price is approx £26.000

Thanks for the comments. I have so far been unable to find any information on the SEA 5-van range so would be grateful of any links.

I am currently looking at the possibility of a Hobby Van/Hymer Van/Dethleffs GlobeVan instead of the Adria but have been so far been put off because:

o one of our criteria is to, if possible, carry two cycles internally. The garage on the Hymer Van seems far too small for this (although can only go by photos of the Van as I've not found any garage measurements in any Hymer literature). Or at least the door into the garage seems too small.

o neither the Hymer Van or Dethleffs GlobeVan appear to have an Oven, or the option to install one. The wife is very keen on her jacket potatoes. The Adria has a grill by default that could be replaced with a grill/oven combo.

o the leadtimes quoted for these alternatives are very long. Brownhills quoted me up to one year for a Hobby Van. Although I would consider second hand, I would prefer the vehicle to be based on the new Ducato or New Transit, so second hand units are rare.

o I have also considered importing, however RHD is quite important as the wife intends to drive it, plus it will possibly be used as my daily commuter too

Thanks for you comments.

Regards,

Steve

Guest JudgeMental

There are lots of new vans on German site I mentioned available now. I would not pay Brownhill prices. I would not be concerned regards LHD, within a week you will be used to it and your wife as well , believe me my wife was terrified and laughs about it now.

You need to get up to Brownhills to at least have a look. Can’t believe you are considering a vehicle without seeing one – bring the bike along as well!

Now for the English obsession! The oven. You are considering a small van and ovens are heavy and a large. You can cook perfectly good baked potatoes in a skillet.

I can assure you unless you are living in the camper you can cope very well without one.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not that I intend to buy a van prior to looking - it's more that the vans I am interested in are not that readily available. I've been to see the Adria, and looked at the Hobby Van at the NEC. I've not managed to see the Hymer van, only pictures of it, and am not convinced that the garage door is large enough to put cycles through. I've also read that Dethleffs quality is not too great.

I wouldn't say that the oven is an obsession, it's more of a "would be nice to have" option as we find them useful. It wouldn't be a show-stopper if everything else with the van was spot on. I'm pretty sure, personally, that just having a hob would be disappointing.

I do agree that getting LHD would soon be easy to live with, and have not written off the idea. The only downsides I personally see are a) resale value, b) servicing/warranty problems a possibility and c) the van will mainly be used touring UK and Ireland, and possibiy as a daily commuter to and from work.

Too many options, too many layouts, and too much money to make a wrong decision!

Thanks again,

Steve

b6x - 2007-03-07 1:21 PM Thanks for the comments. I have so far been unable to find any information on the SEA 5-van range so would be grateful of any links. I am currently looking at the possibility of a Hobby Van/Hymer Van/Dethleffs GlobeVan instead of the Adria but have been so far been put off because: o one of our criteria is to, if possible, carry two cycles internally. The garage on the Hymer Van seems far too small for this (although can only go by photos of the Van as I've not found any garage measurements in any Hymer literature). Or at least the door into the garage seems too small. o neither the Hymer Van or Dethleffs GlobeVan appear to have an Oven, or the option to install one. The wife is very keen on her jacket potatoes. The Adria has a grill by default that could be replaced with a grill/oven combo. o the leadtimes quoted for these alternatives are very long. Brownhills quoted me up to one year for a Hobby Van. Although I would consider second hand, I would prefer the vehicle to be based on the new Ducato or New Transit, so second hand units are rare. o I have also considered importing, however RHD is quite important as the wife intends to drive it, plus it will possibly be used as my daily commuter too Thanks for you comments. Regards, Steve

Steve

To start at the end, if you're going to commute in it I think the van conversion will prove more satisfactory.  Compated to panel vans, coachbuilts are very fragile and difficult and expensive to repair.  Also, the security of central locking to all doors would probebly be beneficial.

Carry cycles.  Well, in the Adria you could, but you'd have to remove them to sleep and you may need to clean/dry them before you put them in after use.  Also, you may want to secure them while you sleep.

Oven - personal view, but a waste of good cupboard space in a small van.  Buy a Remoska from Lakeland, you'll need a hook up to run it, but it will do almost anything these small gas ovens will do, and a few things they won't!

The Adria, as sold in UK, has a very small fridge and only a 2 burner hotplate, whereas most of the coachbuilts have larger fridges and three burners.  Unusually for a "Euro" 'van, the Hobby has an oven as standard in all European models.

Lead times: well, you'd probably get the Adria fastest, but that's not necessarily the best motive for buying one!

The Twin appears to be very good value for money for a panel van, but the price list I got at autumn NEC for optional extra's is not good, check out Fiat's price against Adria's for a/c etc and be prepared to tell Adria what you will pay.

b6x - 2007-03-07 8:05 AM

small prerequisties... a small van, with internal space for two bikes, and a shower.

Why do you want to waste valuble internal space on two bikes ? (I'm not saying don't take them,but make them 'live outside' on a decent rack)

Your internal space will be at a premium in a panel van,especially if you intend to spend any time inside apart from sleeping.It rains even in warmer climes. Go for one without a garage,with a lounging area ?(personal observations and experience).

Do Adria do different versions of the 'Twin' ? like SEA do with the 'Sloop'

Go for IT !! :D

I agree that the space internally could be used better, however my reasons for looking at the Adria, and for storing cycles internally is as follows...

I would like a fixed bed because the current van we use has the "jigsaw" to make up the beds and it, personally, annoys me. The second reason is, because the van will possibly be used for my daily commute, I would like to permenantly store my cycle in the van to allow me to use whenever I want. At night, or on site, the cycle will be relegated to the outside. If space seems to be wasted, then I will look to install a cycle rack - I assume this is possible on the rear of a Ducato.

I know what you mean about the optional extras, cruise control is a good example too. £145 from Fiat, £400 from Adria. I'm hoping that may be able to be retro-fitted by Fiat :-D

Thanks again all.

Steve

oooh. one other quick thing - does anyone know somewhere that sales replacement/replica worktop surfaces? Reason I ask is that on the Adria, by the sliding door, it would make sense if the kitchen worktop could be extended on a folding shelf.

Thanks alot.

Steve

Hello b6x,

It's only six weeks to the National Motorhome Show at Peterboro, why not have a look round there first there is normally an example of most vans made there and you may just get a better deal. Oh and there are several stalls that have the materials and ready made articles for the sort of additional work surface you are requiring!

Bas

• 3 weeks later...

Well... the deed is done. We've just ordered today a silver Adria Twin Van - due for delivery end of July :)

One thing we are still working out is the awning. Ideally we'd like a colour coded one, as not sure what a white awning will look like on a silver van.

Not fussed if it's Fiamma or Omnistor, so does anyone know if either of these manufacturers do a silver colour, or whether they are simple enough to colour code?

Thanks alot,

Steve

Guest starspirit

Good luck Steve do please let us all know how the story unfolds.

I am thinking of a similar van as discussed on the 'downsizing' thread and am very interested in your thoughts when the dream machine arrives please.

I would imagine having a white awning on your silver van would totally spoil its looks Steve. As Mark says Ominstor do this colour so perservere and get the right one.

One thing to take care with is when the sliding door on the Fiat is open the awning invariably catches the top of the door when being wound out and takes a layer of paint off the top of the door. Not the ideal start with a brand new van and the best way is to keep the door shut until the awning front has cleared the door and you can then proceed manually or electrically if fitted with the door open.

Guest starspirit

We met a couple in France last year with a silver Timberland, which they named 'Cloud', and it had a colour coded awning and very smart it was too.

When I asked why they named it Cloud - he said 'every Cloud has a silver awning'.

Yeah it made us groan too.

We looked at an Adria Van Twin at Glossop Caravans on Saturday.

Found a £7,450 price ticket inside it but the salesman wouldn't let it go for that - silly little detail about the words "1991 Land Rover" on the price ticket.

Some people aren't half picky (lol)

Graham

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll keep everyone informed of how it goes, although July seems a long time away at the moment!

Thanks for the tip on the awning and the sliding door, and the pointer towards the Omnistor. I'll take a look. Ideally we'd like a silver colour coded awning that fits the new Ducato and doesn't require drilling into the side of the van. (one that bolts to the roof rail).

Wasn't sure if the likes of Timberland etc spray the awnings themselves as they seem to do pretty much any colour.

Thanks,

Steve

:-D (lol)

I've emailed Timberland and asked if they'd be willing to supply me with a colour coded awning. Fingers crossed.

Seems Fiamma do not do one, but suggest that I get an auto-shop to spray one for me.

Apparently Omnistor do a 5002 model that's silver, but thats not designed for a curved roof mount of a van conversion, and more designed to be bolted to the side.

Seems strange that these companies do not do coloured ones seeing as a good percentage of new vans these days are any colour but white.

The search goes on...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I've spoken to Agent Fiamma and apparently the "F65 Titanium" is a new limited edition awning that has just been released. It is apparently a pale silver colour but as it's new, it's not really sure how silver it is.

Also speaking to Omnistor, they appear to do a silver anodised version of their 6002 awning and have given me the following part numbers:

- 024320**

- 024350**

- 024375**

(where ** is the colour of the shade)

I dont suppose anyone has bought / has photos of each of these so I can judge how silver they look?

Many thanks

Steve

Have just thought of one problem with purchasing an Adria Twin... after 3 years of owning a Swift Royale, I'm now going to be "shunned" by the coachbuilt fraternity and no longer waved at on my journeys. :-(

Archived