Using On-Board Facilities

derek500

Reading around the forums I'm amazed at the number of people who don't use their on-board facilities.

They use showers as wardrobes, never use the toilet or maybe just for number ones.

I've also read of people using ovens as cupboards etc. etc.

Are we unusual? We use the toilet as a toilet, the shower as a shower and even the oven as an oven!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frank Wilkinson

Up here in Lancashire we think that baths and showers are for keeping coal in. This must be why I've never been able to work out why there's no coal fire in my motorhome.

I solved this of course by building one in the oven and routing the chimney pipe through the roof vent.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Mike Chapman - 2007-03-07 11:49 AM OK Frank, That answers the showers and ovens situation now how about tackling the No. 2's and the toilet. Whoops! of course the outside lavvie oop North (lol) Regards, Mike.

With respect I would have thought that this was obvious. We have a lavatory tent, which must be pitched at least thirty feet behind the motorhome, the equivalent of being at 't bottom of 't yard.

One important feature is that we eschew soft lavatory paper, which was designed purely for effete Southern nancy boys. The correct method is to use the newspaper 'The Sporting Life' which is torn into suitably-sized squares and hung in the tent using a piece of string which is threaded through a hole in each square.

When we're on a site with warm, clean proper facilities including a shower that you can move your arms around in we use the site facilities. We've payed for the privilege of having them there so we use them. We try to use the on board loo for only number ones (emergencies excepted) and generally only in the evening for that because its no big hardship to use the site facilities and we get a bit more excercise walking across to the facility block. Having just rebuilt my motorhome after extensive water damage we choose not to shower in the 'van. If we are away from full facilities for a few days we can manage perfectly well with a daily strip wash. I didn't ask for the facilities we have in the motorhome, they were already there. Given a choice I wouldn't bother with a shower but very few motorhomes these days give the buyer that option so we just choose not to use it.

What's so wrong with that?

D.

peedee - 2007-03-07 10:48 AM

There has to be a market for motorhomes without showers and ovens and perhaps even without a toilet then??:-D :-D :-D

peedee

You wouldn't think it to look at the magazines and forecourts, but there are still such things around, and they used to be the majority. Some of us embarked on this lifestyle in basic van conversions (like air-cooled VW's) and some of us still have them (like our Trannie, Hannibal).

We have 3 burners & a grill, no oven. We carry a toilet with us nowadays so we can wild-camp in France, but we keep it in a small cupboard. Since we're more than 2ft tall we bring it out to use & close the curtains. The only shower is one of those £5 hair-washing gadgets, modified for one tap only, which I connect to the sink tap and fit to a bracket on the outside. Only any use in warmer climates, but who cares!

We've lived with Hannibal for 7 years now, may be changing later this year but we won't half miss him! When we change, it may be to something with a bit more "stuff," but unlikely to be a full "bells and whistles" coachbuilt. I know those suit a lot of people (so do caravans, so do tents, so do package holidays) - live and let live, but somehow I think we'll still be "campervan" rather than "motorhome" people.

Tony

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Ugh! No thank you! I prefer to shower every day and much prefer my slightly cramped shower room to going without a proper cleansing! If you had hair as greasy as mine you'd know what I mean!

But what does it matter? Dave doesn't need to shower, I do and I suspect that nowadays there are more people like me than like Dave, which is why manufacturers play safe and build in shower rooms.

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 11:56 AM

With respect I would have thought that this was obvious. We have a lavatory tent, which must be pitched at least thirty feet behind the motorhome, the equivalent of being at 't bottom of 't yard.

One important feature is that we eschew soft lavatory paper, which was designed purely for effete Southern nancy boys. The correct method is to use the newspaper 'The Sporting Life' which is torn into suitably-sized squares and hung in the tent using a piece of string which is threaded through a hole in each square.

Not up here in the Real North we cannot afford toilet tents and use surplus copies of the Beano or Dandy. (lol) Regards,Mike.

Guest Teeceeoone
I’ve wondered why some people prefer to use site facilities rather than their own onboard conveniences. I suspect that some individuals are just too obese and/or inflexible to use the onboard shower cubicle. Likewise they may not be able to bow and twist into the required cleansing position after defecating.

We have not used the shower cubicles in our last three (large)motorhomes and are one of the band who much prefer to use site facilities and the space saved for storage. We often look at the layout of motorhomes and imagine how much better use of the available space could be made if only this item was removed, its rarely big enough anyway. To prove the point our new van is on order - minus the shower.

Have

Ron

derek500 - 2007-03-07 10:06 AM Reading around the forums I'm amazed at the number of people who don't use their on-board facilities. They use showers as wardrobes, never use the toilet or maybe just for number ones. I've also read of people using ovens as cupboards etc. etc. Are we unusual? We use the toilet as a toilet, the shower as a shower and even the oven as an oven!!

Er, no Derek, not unusual.  Probably representative of about 50% of motorhome users.  The other 50% do otherwise, but why should that this bother, or even interest, you?

Do you wish to join them, just wish to understand their logic and learn from them, wish to convert them to your preferences, to undermine their preferences, or merely undermine your own?  :-)

We have all the facilities on board and use them all as and when the occasion arises. We find the shower is invaluable as a drying room for wet clothes and or anything else that is leaking/wet. We do like to use as many of the site facilities as possible to get our monies worth so we invariably cook with electricity but still have the oven for the traditional Sunday Roast etc.

Its everyone to their own and what suits one set of individuals does not always suit others.

I object to using the shower after someone has kept coal in it though!!

VoH

We haven't got an oven so can't comment on that, but we do use the toilet as a toilet and the shower as a shower but we will also make use of the site facilities.

We previously have had two VW campervans so even though we did carry a Porta Poti for nightime use we never had the luxury of a bathroom/shower in the van.

Depending on the weather, site, time of day etc. to as if we use the vans facilities or the sites, on Hollands wood in the New Forest the showers are a bit old fashioned so we use the vans, on CC sites we tend to use the sites, if it's piddling down with rain then it's the vans again.

The vans facilities also come into there own when you are actualy out and about, when on some sites I am glad we have our own facilities and others I am glad other people use theres as it makes for small/no queing for the sites facilities, everyone uses there vans differently. :-D

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Brian Kirby - 2007-03-07 3:22 PM
derek500 - 2007-03-07 10:06 AM Reading around the forums I'm amazed at the number of people who don't use their on-board facilities. They use showers as wardrobes, never use the toilet or maybe just for number ones. I've also read of people using ovens as cupboards etc. etc. Are we unusual? We use the toilet as a toilet, the shower as a shower and even the oven as an oven!!

Er, no Derek, not unusual.  Probably representative of about 50% of motorhome users.  The other 50% do otherwise, but why should that this bother, or even interest, you?

Do you wish to join them, just wish to understand their logic and learn from them, wish to convert them to your preferences, to undermine their preferences, or merely undermine your own?  :-)

Flipping heck Brian! Why shouldn't it interest him without someone psychoanalyising his motives?

Don't you ever wonder why people do things? it's called human nature!

In the old days of porta potties and external fresh and waste jerricans, I always found that the person who did the cleaning, emptying and refilling of everything (me) used all of the on-board facilities a lot less than everyone else on the trip.

I was also the only one to trudge off to the site buildings in the rain.

Bob

Well as both we use all the things and share cooking cleaning and having a lazy day each whereby I fuss him for the day and vice versa.

I think it only fare that I do the porta loo as well . Although we have not a strict ban on N0 2's we do try and use facilities where possible we often use the shower but again in a timely fashion whereby we know we can get at more water .So yes i ues all the things for all the bit. SOMETIMES

THEN AGAIN sometimes we use the overcab bed as storage the shower as a buggy stand the bed as soft play the oven as storage for the food pots & pans . I use everything for everything but we still gets there and has fun. Thats the main thing fun fun fun lifes to short ...happy travels everyone as Dave Allen used to say Go with your God.

Whatever takes your fancy :D

Brian Kirby - 2007-03-07 4:22 PM

Your reply seems a bit harsh, Brian. Surely forums are designed to air peoples' points of view and opinions. I suppose what I've learnt is that if site facilities are good people prefer to use them. In my case, in the forty or fifty or so nights we've spent in our MH since we bought it a year ago, only eight have been on sites, so we haven't had much opportunity to use their facilities. Most of our nights have been spent in French Aires, golf club car parks etc., where there are no facilities.Also, I suppose a lot goes back to my childhood and camping holidays, where I used hate walking to the toilet blocks on a cold morning with a towel over my shoulder!!

HI, we use nearly everything as duel purpose, the shower as a shower also a drying room a storage room with a couple of stacking boxes in the shower tray, if staying on site and showers clean we use them, oven we dont have one but a skillet solves that problem, the drop down bed becomes storage as well, motorhomes really can be all things to all people, whatever shape size or age just enjoy them. Carol.

Archived