Using On-Board Facilities

derek500

I think that motorhomes have such lavish shower and toilet facilities in many vans is because manufacturers know who decides on the purchase of the van.... the women of the household, and if they do not have all the trimmings in this department they will simply not go motorhoming, and thats a well known fact. chas (^)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 3:51 PM

Flipping heck Brian! Why shouldn't it interest him without someone psychoanalyising his motives?

Don't you ever wonder why people do things? it's called human nature!

Well, not to that extent Frank.  I guess I just take the view that other people do things differently to me.  I mean, you keep coal in your shower.  Do I wonder why?  No, I just accept it as one of your funny little ways, which I have no great interest in, and will probably have forgotten about by bedtime.  However, should you ever invite me to stay with you, I'll make sure I avoid using the shower.  Wet coal is no use to anyone!

Presumably all the people who don't ever use their toilets for solids and cook with electric must always stay on a site with electric.

Once the evenings are a little longer we are quite happy to forgo electric and wildcamp where possible. so our on-board facilities are very important so we have diesel heating (but would really prefer gas), gas water heating for when not on hook up. The cooker makes no difference as it is just gas.

As vans getter bigger and more luxuriously fitted out and people need to take more, satellite, laptops for wi-fi etc people will need their electric hook up (possibly more of an umbilical cord to some). Now it seems that you need a tow car whilst reasonable with a large van on a long tour but I am sure lots of people very rarely use the towcar.

We haven't used the shower a great deal as we do lots of one nights stays but our silverscreens, water containers travel in the shower room and it is useful for wet clothes. If we are away for longer periods my OH does use the showers as he doesn't really like using site facilities (is a bit paranoid about getting verrucaes but he is a bloke lol) although getting him to have a wash is a challenge anyway.

Used the shower [as a shower] very rarely, since it only served to increase the number of times you had to empty the waste and refill the fresh water tanks.

Used the oven [as an oven] twice in 16 years;, we now have a warming oven cum grill, and use that a lot more. Anything I want to cook in the 'van can generally be done on the hob, especially with the good old double skillet.

Went off using the loo in the van altogether a couple of years ago when OH injured his back while on holiday, and I had to empty the $£%"££$^$£^ thing. It gives you an entirely new perspective. 8-) :-S

As for why the manufacturers put these things in - because they can, because it lets them charge more for little extra outlay. Works wonders on the payload figures! :->

B-)

Guest starspirit

When I wuz dragged up there were no such things as a shower in a house unless you were very posh - which we aint.

We managed very well with a good wash down every day because baths were limited to one a week, and even then with 'mutli occupation' water and the youngest (my bruvver) getting the cold mucky bath last.

That carried on into tent camping and now having spent too much money keeping water out of vans in the past I find a wash down with a friend not only works for us, is fun too, saves water and fuel, and avoids the risk of internal water damage (to the van that is).

The oven makes a very good bread and cake cupboard as being insulated it tends to keep a stable temperature.

There is no way we are traipsing across any site (if we use one at all and that ain't often) for a c##p or a p## when we can sit and read in the warm comfort of our own mini library with its own bookshelf and dry floors.

Roll on the day when vans come with TWO loos so there is no waiting - and plenty of resultant capacity to extend off site meanderings.

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 10:57 AM

Up here in Lancashire we think that baths and showers are for keeping coal in. This must be why I've never been able to work out why there's no coal fire in my motorhome.

I solved this of course by building one in the oven and routing the chimney pipe through the roof vent.

Bloody Luxury ! We didn't Ha' a bath in our shoe box at side of road, we kept clean by standing next to a puddle and let the lorries spash us as they drove past, don't know their born ! motorhomers today ! :D

Guest peter
peedee - 2007-03-07 10:48 AM

There has to be a market for motorhomes without showers and ovens and perhaps even without a toilet then??:-D :-D :-D

peedee

There is one already. It's called a box van. :D

Guest peter
Teeceeoone - 2007-03-07 1:14 PM

I’ve wondered why some people prefer to use site facilities rather than their own onboard conveniences. I suspect that some individuals are just too obese and/or inflexible to use the onboard shower cubicle. Likewise they may not be able to bow and twist into the required cleansing position after defecating.

LMAO. Got it in one. Have you seen the gutt on some of these people at shows. I reckon some of them store the crates of beer and Pizzas in the shower room. (lol)

Guest peter
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 3:51 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-03-07 3:22 PM
derek500 - 2007-03-07 10:06 AM Reading around the forums I'm amazed at the number of people who don't use their on-board facilities. They use showers as wardrobes, never use the toilet or maybe just for number ones. I've also read of people using ovens as cupboards etc. etc. Are we unusual? We use the toilet as a toilet, the shower as a shower and even the oven as an oven!!

Er, no Derek, not unusual.  Probably representative of about 50% of motorhome users.  The other 50% do otherwise, but why should that this bother, or even interest, you?

Do you wish to join them, just wish to understand their logic and learn from them, wish to convert them to your preferences, to undermine their preferences, or merely undermine your own?  :-)

Flipping heck Brian! Why shouldn't it interest him without someone psychoanalyising his motives?

Don't you ever wonder why people do things? it's called human nature!

Caught you Frank.........Spelling mistake....psychoanalyising

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I know, I spotted the extra 'i' too late. It was a typo, honestly!

Anyway, I'm deeply ashamed!

Guest peter
O/K we'll let you off this time. But no more threads on spelling or grammar or we will be watching like hawks. (lol) :D

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Rayjsj - 2007-03-07 8:35 PM
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-07 10:57 AM

Up here in Lancashire we think that baths and showers are for keeping coal in. This must be why I've never been able to work out why there's no coal fire in my motorhome.

I solved this of course by building one in the oven and routing the chimney pipe through the roof vent.

Bloody Luxury ! We didn't Ha' a bath in our shoe box at side of road, we kept clean by standing next to a puddle and let the lorries spash us as they drove past, don't know their born ! motorhomers today ! :D

You forgot to mention having to lick 't road clean wi 't tongue!

This thread had me thinking (see, the forum is benificial in many ways) about the rest of the items we all cart around.

In particular I have heard many people object to fixed beds, on the grounds that they are a waste of space, whilst at the same time being quite happy to accept the shower cubical without question. However, a bed is used for 8 hours per day on average, whereas a shower cubical (if used as such) stands uselessly empty for 23.8 hours a day, 365 days a year. It makes you think.

To each his own I say and no doubt someone has even managed to utilise the shower as a bed, or at least a toilet, after drink!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
messerschmitt owner - 2007-03-08 11:05 AM if you buy a decent motorhome -you get a decent sized shower! Use my own or use one in a toilet block - don't care if I have in theory paid for the campsite one - I use the onboard one everytime!

Whom are you trying to kid! I remember those Messerschmitts from when I was lad. Two people could barely sit in them, let alone lie down to sleep. And as for showering! What are you one and can I have some?

We tend to use our onboard facilities, we find them generally better quality than the site provided ones. That was one of the main reasons for having a caravan/ motorhome, we take our own beds and facilities with us we don't have to share with miriads of others who have sweated into and washed of in. Yuk!! Had enough of that when I worked for a living using hotels all over.

Bas

Guest starspirit

Just one thing in common it seems Dave.

We all seem to like being clean - in body if not in mind?

starspirit - 2007-03-08 2:25 PM Just one thing in common it seems Dave. We all seem to like being clean - in body if not in mind?

Not so fast Richard!  There's only about 5 - 10% of the registered membership represented among the replies.  It's the silent ones we'll need to stay upwind of!

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-08 11:16 AM
messerschmitt owner - 2007-03-08 11:05 AM if you buy a decent motorhome -you get a decent sized shower! Use my own or use one in a toilet block - don't care if I have in theory paid for the campsite one - I use the onboard one everytime!

Whom are you trying to kid! I remember those Messerschmitts from when I was lad. Two people could barely sit in them, let alone lie down to sleep. And as for showering! What are you one and can I have some?

me - kid anyone? - if you've noticed, I've a microcar for each foot! The Schmitt is big enough for two adults and one child and even has a split rear seat - which is also heated by the exhaust only two inches away. It has four forward and four reverse gears and can go backwards faster than an Italian tank. 9.9bhp is all one needs and you can't afford to be a shrinking violet if you own one.Personally, I can't think of anything worse that wandering out of my lovely toasty motorhome, a few hundred yards off to a cold shower block, with little cubicles not much bigger than my motorhome's shower, then having to undress onto cold tiles (often dirty with mud), putting my clothes somewhere theye can't get wet, hoping something isn't going to fall off the coathook, then having a shower. When I'm ready to get dried, I then have to stand on the muddy tiles again, all the time trying to dry myself, then trying to keep my feet clean, hopping about once I've dried one to put socks and shoes on. It's horrible, it's a hassle and I hate it. I bought a motorhome with all the facilities just so I didn't have to rely on someone else's toilets and showers.Now, when I feel like getting back to nature I just take the Toyota Devon instead.Campbell

Guest starspirit
Not so fast Richard! There's only about 5 - 10% of the registered membership represented among the replies. It's the silent ones we'll need to stay upwind of!

Do you mean silent but deadly CC members Brian?

Guest starspirit

Personally, I can't think of anything worse that wandering out of my lovely toasty motorhome, a few hundred yards off to a cold shower block, with little cubicles not much bigger than my motorhome's shower, then having to undress onto cold tiles (often dirty with mud), putting my clothes somewhere theye can't get wet, hoping something isn't going to fall off the coathook, then having a shower. When I'm ready to get dried, I then have to stand on the muddy tiles again, all the time trying to dry myself, then trying to keep my feet clean, hopping about once I've dried one to put socks and shoes on. It's horrible, it's a hassle and I hate it. I bought a motorhome with all the facilities just so I didn't have to rely on someone else's toilets and showers.

END QUOTE

Been using too many CC sites again have we Campbell

This has become a very popular and interesting thread!!

How about this then? On the odd occasion I've stayed on a site, I've seen people taking their washing up from their MHs to the communal basins.

Why don't they use the kitchen sink in their MHs?

Guest starspirit

This is an old camping habit because washing up in a tent can be quite a performance.

It can be quite a good social event too with a lively exchange of ideas and information.

It can also be cold wet miserable and midgy.

Some might say it is because Motor Caravanners are too tight to use their own gas boiling a kettle if they can get hot water for free but even though I often scald my hand carrying hot water back to the van this is not the case.

Archived