sensors versa reversing cameras

Poppy

Guest JudgeMental

I have ordered WAECO reversing sensors on my new van as I think they will be adequate.

But I can see the advantages of a rear view on the road particularly if you intend to tow.

Many people find sensors to be adequate where there is some rearwards view, this mainly applies to cars but some motorhomes also fit in. Thos that have rear vision cameras usually comment that you can't deny the evidence of your own eyes.

I have sensors on my work van, my wife has sensors on her car but I chose to have a camera on our motorhome.

D.

Poppy - 2007-03-07 12:40 PM Cost apart any comments on which are the best.Thanks.

Can you define best?  One gives you a limited picture of what is behind, the other gives you information on how close you are to an obstruction it can register.  Netiher will tell you if you are about to reverse into the branch of a tree, an overhanging roof, an oriel window or a patch of soft ground! 

First law of reversing has to be to get out and look behind for yourself before engaging reverse gear, and always have someone else there to watch for the things that cameras and sensors miss! 

The rear of most motorhomes is very fragile, and if you touch something solid, at whatever speed, you'll do damage.

Good answer Brian, our van has a camera fitted but no monitor.

I can see through the back window of ours and the mirrors do a good job of locating the rear corners, the problem is that you can not look at all three at once, so our general reversing procedure unless we are in a field is to get Carol out the back just in case.

Hi Poppy,

We have both. The sensors we fitted first, as we could not find a realistically priced camera system, the camera later. Whilst the sensors work well I still had my heart in my mouth each time we reversed as I just did not trust them so my better half used to just go to the rear window and express her pearls of wisdom! Also they do nothing for rear view when on the move.

Since fitting the rear view/ reversing camera system with rear view mirror monitor I am extremely enthusiastic about it. I like being able to have clear view of the road behind and I also like the visual ability when reversing though the sound from the sensors alert you for the inevitable time when you are checking the door mirror whilst manouvering.

The mirror monitor is absolutely great and is in the natural place for a driver to look when viewing by mirrors. I have reversed a van with a dash mounted monitor but found it completely unatural and somehow wrong. Just my opinion of course you must decide for yourself.

Any van that we bought in the future I would fit both as ours does now. With the cheap cost of both methods that are currently available, sensors fron around £20 and colour rear view mirror systems from around £69, it is not as onerous a cost as it was previously

Bas

Basil

Can you give a bit more info on your camera system (makes/models etc)?  You describe it as a reversing/rear view system.  Is it one of those that has two cameras combined, one that gives a normal rear view when travelling forwards and one that give the "look down" view when in reverse gear?  Also, is the rear view mirror monitor one that combines mirror with monitor or one where the whole "mirror" is the monitor?  Apologies for the questions, but it sounds just about ideal.

Camera wins hands down for me. It gives me good visability from almost the back of the van to infinity. When the trailer is coupled I can reverse the trailer using the camera, its the only way I can see the trailer unless I have already over cooked the manouvre! Sensors see solid objects, not necessarilly a small child who has just crawled behind the van.

At the end of the day its the drivers responsibility whatever system you use. If in doubt send out the navigator to stand at the back and shout at you.

Our camera?

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I had a reversing camera fitted and it's fine but in retrospect I'm a little worried about it. It's mounted on my dashboard (obviously!) but isn't detachable and I'll constantly worry that some tealeaf will think that it's an expensive satnav and smash my window before tearing it out of the dash and doing loads of damage.

I throw a soft hat over it in the hope that it just looks like a hat on the dashboard (a good tip someone on this forum gave me actually) but it's not a perfect disguise although it may fool the casual observer.

Also, I wasn't aware of twin-camera systems that monitor long distance and close-ups as well and wish now that I'd had this fitted. I may ask my supplier if mine can be adapted.

My last 'van had a camera, this one I have now has sensors which work very well, but I do miss the camera. I could reverse by sight, now I reverse by sound, not so good. Sounds the stop signal when 2 feet off the obstruction. I will be getting another camera.

Brian Kirby - 2007-03-07 6:40 PM

Basil

Can you give a bit more info on your camera system (makes/models etc)?  You describe it as a reversing/rear view system.  Is it one of those that has two cameras combined, one that gives a normal rear view when travelling forwards and one that give the "look down" view when in reverse gear?  Also, is the rear view mirror monitor one that combines mirror with monitor or one where the whole "mirror" is the monitor?  Apologies for the questions, but it sounds just about ideal.

I have sent you a PM.Bas

Guest Frank Wilkinson
michele - 2007-03-08 11:14 PM Frank this dash mounted screen does it not go down ? In side anything ?. just sit's there ? what is it ?.

I don't really know the make as the 'van's up in my warehouse. It's just a 5" wide screen that sits on the dashboard. It's very good and clear etc. but it's a permanent fixture on the dash and won't clip off or anything. That's why I cover it with a beanie hat!

I had it fitted by a firm up here who also put a satellite dish on the roof at the same time.

I wish now that I'd found one that clips off but of course if the thieves see the cradle they'll still assume there's a satnav or something hidden in the glove box and smash the window anyway.

The hat is a good disguise as it really does just look like I've left my hat on the dash, so let's hope!

As a reversing camera it's superb and I wouldn't be without it.

We have the Avic Pioneer and as you turn off the ignition it sucks it in .

You then can take the front off which we always do when O&A.

It was rather alot of money with the sat dish £2000? dont hod me to it but maybe just over just under knowing me I have it all wrong (hes in bed ).

Anyway fantastic very clear screen good camera on the back BUT.....

It's only worked in reverse mode a few times ?.... I give up

Thats the problem when buying from a dealer to far from home... :-(

Frank

I used to throw a cap over my monitor. Unfortunatly some tealeaf did think it was satnav and smashed my window. Fortunatly it is not a permanant fixture so they did not damage the dash, but it still cost me £200 for the replacement and excess for the glass.

To add insult to injury he also took my cap. Beware!

Hi Aldo,

The camera system is manufactured by Orlaco Products BV

Albert Plesmanstraat 42 - 3772 MN Barneveld

P.O. Box 193 - 3770 AD Barneveld - Tel +31(0)342 404555

Fax +31(0)342 404556 - KVK-nummer 09087596 - email: info@orlaco.nl

Its a commercial system manufactured for arduous applications, Lorries, Dust carts, Fork Lift Trucks etc. Its not cheap but I know the owner of the company!. It is first rate kit though and I would commend it to compliment a quality motorhome. It is tested at extremes of fibration, temperature humidity and barometric pressure. The camera is sealed and filled with dry nitrogen, it has a heater for the front of the lens. The monitor has a NEW LCD screen - unlike many of the cheap rear view systems that use ex games machine displays. Quality connectors are employed.

The Owners name is Henry Van Busecom and the main directors are all familly.

Have a browse around their web site or email them directly for prices.

http://www.orlaco.com/mainindexuk.htm

Also you can see them next month.

Orlaco at the Commercial Vehicle Show, Birmingham, 24-26 April 2007.

The plug for this show says :-

The CVS, the Commercial Vehicle Show ’07, will be taking place in Birmingham. Orlaco will this year once again be present at this important trade fair for the commercial transport industry. Orlaco’s FrontCam camera will be the centre of attention. This unique camera complies fully with the latest European front vision guidelines, that are as of January 26, 2007, mandatory for all newly licensed European vehicles.

You can find the Orlaco stand in Hall 3 on stand number 3341. The fair will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 17.30 p.m. Please feel free to contact Leen den Boer or Dorien Blanckenborg at Orlaco if you require any additional information: www.cvshow.com, www.orlaco.com or +31 342 404 555. We look forward to seeing you in Birmingham!

Archived