new GPS on show at CeBIT Germany

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Interesting new GPS on show at CeBIT Germany, middle of March.

TT One XL – a widescreen version of the TT One. There is supposed to be two versions one with larger on board memory. I like the look of this one and will wait for its release.

Garmin NUVI 670 – with USA & European maps installed. Being a Garmin fan I am disappointed with the NUVI as you cannot manipulate maps and route’s on your computer and download to GPS (they don’t give you a copy of maps on DVD!).

A real miscalculation on Garmins behalf.

Hi Judge,

That sounds like a backward step for Garmin and is a great pity as they are usually very competitive.  There must be a good reason behind it?

What are the restrictions?  Can you still connect it to your PC?

Do you know whether it allow you to add your own POIs and route itineraries etc?

Guest JudgeMental

Garmin say the NUVI is aimed at a new kind of customer. So B*lls to the rest?

They use a compressed version of Mapsource called NT with pre installed mapping on the NUVI. You only get mapping on DVD with the other ranges. You are of course free to buy the Mapsource DVD separately (expensive!) but you still can not download routes, only waypoints. Its real missed opportunity as NUVI is compact, has a nice sized screen and a 4-6 hr battery life for hand held touring.

you can download all the POI's you desire with it though.

But the new TT One XL looks good and should be half the price of NUVI if current pricing comparisons anything to go by.

P.S. W2G, What van have you ordered? I am waiting on my new EuraMobil Profila 66o HB - it is a month late.....

Hi JM,

Don't know whether you realise that the TT maps cannot be accessed on the PC either. I have a TT700 and have occasionally felt that it's a bit short-sighted of TomTom not to let you do the route planning on PC with a proper screen and keyboard for use. Ah well, obviously the market the guys at Garmin are looking for then.

As you say, bit of an oversight,

Lee

Guest JudgeMental
Lee1st - 2007-03-08 2:26 PM

Hi JM,

Don't know whether you realise that the TT maps cannot be accessed on the PC either.

Lee

I think you are wrong on this - the TT range can be connected via TT HOME software. which I believe lets you manipulate maps on your computer when GPS connected?

At least I hope this is right, if not I am sticking with my Garmin 2610

JudgeMental - 2007-03-08 12:08 PM P.S. W2G, What van have you ordered? I am waiting on my new EuraMobil Profila 66o HB - it is a month late.....

We've gone for the Bessacarr E560 with fixed double bed.  We got a good deal and also went for the Elegance pack . . . . should be paid off in 20 years :-) :-)

Looked at your EuraMobil Profila on the web.  Nice looking vehicle, I'll bet you're getting real excited huh?

JudgeMental - 2007-03-08 4:22 PM . . . the TT range can be connected via TT HOME software. which I believe lets you manipulate maps on your computer when GPS connected? At least I hope this is right, if not I am sticking with my Garmin 2610

Yes and no Judge.  You are correct in that you get to use the mouse and keyboard if you connect the GO via TomTom HOME but it just gives you a bigger picture than you already have on the GO.

Instead of poking the 3 1/2" x 2" screen with your finger or a cocktail stick you get to point a mouse at the increased VDU size of 5" x 3".  It looks and behaves exactly like holding it in your hand.

Apart from the mouse and keyboard benefit (which is useful) I can't see how the map can be manipulated in any way?  It doesn't work any differently than being used in the palm of your hand.

If I'm planning an itinerary or a trip I tend to use AutoRoute then convert the results and copy them into TomTom.

W2G

"If I'm planning an itinerary or a trip I tend to use AutoRoute then convert the results and copy them into TomTom."

Any chance you could expand on the above.

I plan all my routes and stop overs using Autoroute 2003 but was not aware that they could be transferred to Tom.

Thanks

Pete

Guest JudgeMental

Yes, I have just bought a copy of Autoroute 2007 ( Ebay £12.50 :-D ) and would like to know how this is done as well

Thanks for the explanation W2G, although a bit disappointed regards TT use with a computer. I have just upgraded to V9 software for £40 via Garmin. so will use that for a while with my 2610 . no POI's though - main reason for wanting to upgrade.

BUT! if autoroute2007 is straight forward to send to TT this may be the answer!

Thanks Way2go I have downloaded the necassary, just one question. There was no mention of TT navigator on the French site do you know if this is compatible.

I will try to have a go anyway.

Thanks

Pete

peteS - 2007-03-09 7:20 PM Thanks Way2go I have downloaded the necassary, just one question. There was no mention of TT navigator on the French site do you know if this is compatible. I will try to have a go anyway. Thanks Pete

Hi,

As far as I'm aware all TomTom machines use the .OV2 format so not a problem ;-)

Archived