Mystery

niktam

My MH was registered on 01 03 17 however the application to register a motor vehicle with my VIN and the actual issue of a registration number was in early April on the same date. The original registration document was printed on the same date as well in early April however why was the registered date a month earlier? The first owner appeared to have completed the sale on the same date in April as well so that was a busy day!

Unless it was registered under the VIN first but then it would have two owners? The MH was built in early Nov 16 as that's when they tested the electrical and gas etc and the certificates were timed at just after 6 AM so they start early at Elddis.

Or was this a ploy to get a van chassis registered early to get a manufacturer's bonus any ideas.

March and September are when the UK number-plate changes take place. So, as your motorhome’s first-registration date was 1 March 2017, it does sound like the vending dealership ‘pre-registered’ it.

That should mean that the first retail buyer (who took delivery in April) was, in fact, the vehicle’s 2nd owner and was purchasing a secondhand motorhome.

Who sold your Elddis originally? If it was a Marquis dealership, they seem to have habitually pre-registered motorhomes in the past.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-05 9:42 PM

March and September are when the UK number-plate changes take place. So, as your motorhome’s first-registration date was 1 March 2017, it does sound like the vending dealership ‘pre-registered’ it.

That should mean that the first retail buyer (who took delivery in April) was, in fact, the vehicle’s 2nd owner and was purchasing a secondhand motorhome.

Who sold your Elddis originally? If it was a Marquis dealership, they seem to have habitually pre-registered motorhomes in the past.

Thanks as always Derek. But if the reg number was issued in April how did it get registered in March? I'm only the second keeper so the original owner did not buy a pre registered MH as he was the first keeper.. They must have registered it on the VIN first in March which doesn't show as the first registration on the reg number as it hadn't got a number.. That's the confusion?

You could try asking the first owner (if you can get in touch) or the original vending dealership. If that produced no credible explanation, you could try asking the DVLA (though not until the coronavirus pandemic has scaled down in the UK and the DVLA is under less pressure).

Dunno - either the motorhome was ‘pre-registered', or the vending dealership entered data wrongly when applying to the DVLA for registration, or the dealership had a set of registration numbers assigned to it and that affected the date, or the DVLA made an error. The 1 March date suggests a link to the UK’s number-plate changeover, but that may be a red herring.

I'm doubtful that you’ll solve this mystery by asking about it on forums without doing some more research from your end.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-06 7:02 AM

You could try asking the first owner (if you can get in touch) or the original vending dealership. If that produced no credible explanation, you could try asking the DVLA (though not until the coronavirus pandemic has scaled down in the UK and the DVLA is under less pressure).

Dunno - either the motorhome was ‘pre-registered', or the vending dealership entered data wrongly when applying to the DVLA for registration, or the dealership had a set of registration numbers assigned to it and that affected the date, or the DVLA made an error. The 1 March date suggests a link to the UK’s number-plate changeover, but that may be a red herring.

I'm doubtful that you’ll solve this mystery by asking about it on forums without doing some more research from your end.

Thanks Derek I thought there was an easy answer to this one or that this was a regular occurrence with MH's.

niktam - 2020-04-06 8:20 AM Thanks Derek I thought there was an easy answer to this one or that this was a regular occurrence with MH's.

Our first van had one owner before us but had 3 registered keepers first 2 being Highbridge the supplying dealer. Who we also bought it off their explanation for the first 2 seemed plausible at the time was preregistration ?

It may not help but the V5 front page usually states for new vehicles just 'declared new at first registration' or the addition of 'number of former keepers' and their details for used vehicles.

Possibly it only really matters when you come to sell the van but if the first 'keeper' was a dealer just say it was pre registered or a demonstrator and I doubt the value will be impacted.

If the first keeper was a customer, even if they never used it, then I hope you got a good discount!

Archived