Charging ebike battery, explodes in MH

pepe63xnotuse

T'was on another MH forum a while back, but worth putting on here to warn others. The reports I've seen are very light on any details, so it's hard to work out quite what happened and how they couldn't get out without serious injury.

In July last year, at the Shrewsbury vintage festival, a lithium bike battery caught fire when it was being stored inside a van. Luckily it was found quickly, but not before it had burned a hole in the storage compartment, and when outside the van it properly burst into flames. There seems to be a problem with certainly some of these batteries, but safe storage, on board is certainly an issue.

I’m seeing this post for the first time. I am not by nature one to worry unnecessarily but this incident is very concerning. There must be hundreds if not thousands of these batteries about, so were there special circumstances as to why this particular one caused the fire?

We have decided to purchase e-bikes this year (Covid-19 notwithstanding) and of course, will be charging and storing the (presumably) lithium batteries in the ‘van.

So the questions are, how do we know we are charging and storing them safely? Are there things that we definitely should not do? Are there things we definitely should do?

I’d appreciate information from knowledgeable people.

Cattwg :-D

Good afternoon,

A while back , on an aeroplane we were travelling on , before take off the pilot wanted to have a look at someones battery from their wheelchair. It came back wrapped up in something, so I reckon there might be something in it with some kind of batteries.

Hi All - re this article - having traveled with our 'folding electric bikes' since 2011 this has brought to light a concern and possible storage re think. Whilst the bikes are carried (heavy cable lock secured) in our Peugeot (TowBars2TowCars) 107 (rear seats removed) with the batteries (when required) always charged outside the MH in the vertical position recommended at purchase? - They have always been stored in the MH Gas Box ! The consequences of a possible fire whilst in Gas Box has suddenly caused me a serous re think - or is this fire report just a one off ???? From past 'Head Lines' (Boeing 787's etc.) I was of the opinion 'Lion' batteries where stable outside of charging? Hence the reason for me to charge and observe outside, as per most working days with my Makita 'Lion' battery drills ?

Any further Info / advise re this subject will help relieve my concerns !

Take Care...

Dave Adams

Cattwg - 2020-04-06 3:09 PM

So the questions are, how do we know we are charging and storing them safely? Are there things that we definitely should not do? Are there things we definitely should do?

I’d appreciate information from knowledgeable people.

Not an expert for sure, but one who has tried hard to seek out the best info I belive I can.

Don't fully charge unless that is needed straight away. I push mine up to 80% as the normal routine.

Don't charge under very cold conditions.

Don't buy on price, try for a model featuring genine Samsung or Pannasonic cells within the battery, basically a quality brand bike.

Don't use the battery if ever you drop it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_MV_Conception

34 of 39 people on board a diving boat died in a fire/sinking most likely due to cameras, dive torches and cell phones being left to charge overnight. An ebike battery is just a bigger battery with all the same issues.

I've seen numerous reports of ebikes going up in flames in cellars, garages and such. Often with substantial damage to everything else around it if not the entire house. Most commonly in winter when it's close or below freezing.

Do not leave any lithium batteries on charge completely unattended (phones/laptops are usually charged while sleeping)! Also, do not charge below 5°C!

Below is an edited version of the safety recommendations on the link suggested by BruceM. The article does say that considering the millions of e-bikes in use the number battery fires is minimal. Trouble is if its your bike it’s 100%!

How to Prevent E-Bike Fires

• Use only the manufacturer-supplied charger.

• Don’t leave a charging e-bike unattended, and don’t charge it near other flammable objects.

• Don’t store e-bike batteries with a full charge for an extended period of time. More charge means more fuel for the chemical reaction that causes fire.

• Don’t use e-bike batteries that have been dropped, punctured, crashed, or otherwise damaged in any way. They may look alright, but internal damage can cause the cells to contact each other, overheat, and ignite.

• Don’t modify your e-bike’s drive system if you’re not an expert. The e-bikes that catch fire mid-ride tend to be DIY contraptions. (A safer DIY approach might involve buying a full conversion kit, with components meant to work together.

• Use water and an A B C fire extinguisher (the most common type) to put out a lithium-ion battery fire. However, the fire and fumes from a lithium-ion battery fire can be extremely dangerous, so unless you can extinguish the reaction early and safely get out!

It seems that we need to be very careful where we store these batteries and as has said on this forum many times only use the charger supplied with the battery.

Hi Pepe, Exactly - the very reason for my response to to your article and one I am already working on - but, following some U'Tube investigation it would appear the prime reason of Lion battery fires (inc. Tesslar's?) are currently grouped around over charging, damaged or poor quality batteries without safety 'cut outs'? -

AND THE GOVERNMENT HAVE NOW DECREED WE MUST ALL HAVE BATTERY POWERED VEHICLE'S BEFORE TO LONG ? - My Hope/Wish - As all future vehicles must be Electric to save the Planet - With great urgency - Bring on infrastructure and development of the 50 yrs proven Hydrogen Power Units, thus being able to power all 'All Electric Vehicle Types' (with zero pollution) in the near future, thus removing reliance on (unless an economical to produce, miracle battery appears) 'Battery Power', as they can never achieve the full requirements of the wide variety of vehicle types or usage ? Or is this just a dream as long as the Oil Producing Countries control the fuel markets? I do hope not !

Dave Adams. Take care.

Archived