Roof seal

tidzaken

Hi, and welcome to the site,

I really don't know how the strip is secured but I am sure someone will come along shortly who does. It would be helpful if you perhaps explain what make and model you have ?

In the absence of any suggestions I would use a good quality Silicon

Hi Ken- A few years ago I had to reseal the jointing on the side of my old van, and obtained some Caraseal which was dispensed from a skeliton gun. It was recommended by a caravan workshop and it was the answer, mainly because it never dries out and remains tacky, any excess is cleaned off with turps. I would not recommend a silicon sealant, as they seem to come unstuck off the aluminium, and allow water to creep in. Good Luck, chas

Hi,

Chas may be correct with Aluminum but I certainly haven't had any problems with leaks where i have used it on my fibreglass body. I have even used it to stick my rear view camara and that has been there for nearly a year with no signs of coming unstuck

When oh when will new members learn to read the fourth thread down before they post a question?

There are plenty of people on here who are only too happy to help, me included but you really do need to give us something to work with.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh Tidzaken, its not meant to be but how on earth do you expect anyone to answer a question like yours accurately when you don't even tell them what motorhome you have?

Many years ago I was a tech adviser for a classic vehicle club and members could phone me for advice. One evening I received a phone call from a chap that went a lot like this:

Me; good evening how can I help you?

Him; Me van wo go wots up wiv it? (heavy black country accent)

Me; Pardon?

Him; Me van wo go wots up wiv it?

Me; Well what kind of van is it?

Him; Well its a Bedford innit, but it wo go, wots wrong wiv it?

This went on for about 40 minutes at which point I'd deduced he had a flat battery!!!! I kid you not!!

I'm not trying to suggest you, or any other member of this site is this bad but give us a clue, please.

D.

Thanks Ken. I believe your model's roof is made up of sheets of painted aluminium with jointing strips between them glued/sealed with something like Sikaflex. It could be very difficult to remove the jointing strip as it's often a slotted strip with the two abutting panels engaged in the slots. Therefore to remove it means disturbing the ends of the two adjacent panels. You might need to remove, or at least loosen the roof edge to wall jointing trim before you can get to the jointing strip. Then its a case of carefully and slowly prising the two sheet edges and jointing strip away from each other with a wide, stiff blade.

I'd suggest Sikaflex 512 to reseal it with.

D.

But before you do, how old is it?  Burstners currently have 6 year anti water ingress guarantees so, if less than six years old, it may need to be taken to a Burstner Dealership.

Also, are you quite sure the leakage is through the actual joint, and not at one or other of the its ends, where the wall to roof angle cover moulding caps it?

I agree with Brian, I feel that the likely area would be at the ajoining roof to wall section. You well may be see damp in the centre of the roof, but leaks do have a habit of creeping along before showing themselves. To attempt to dismantle the centre roof cover strips is a very extream measure, and would be soul destroying if found not to be at fault. chas

I am currently in negotiation with Burstner as thr vehicle is only 4 years old and should be covered by warranty.All the checks have been done to comply with the warranty, unfortunately two were done by a dealer no longer trading who hadn't logged the checks.

My query was just in case I could't get the work done under warranty.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Ken

Did the dealer who did the checks complete the warranty log for the van?  If he was a Burstner dealer at the time the checks were carried out, and has completed and signed the log (in your warranty booklet) where is the doubt?

If someone is trying to argue that the dealer's subsequent departure as a Burstner dealer invalidates what they did while they were a Burstner dealer, and you get no further sense from Burstner, talk to Trading Standards.  Dealers come and go continually and what you appear to have been told is nonsense! 

The warranty is a contract (I believe it is a contract because, in effect, you pay for it when you buy the motorhome) between you and Burstner, but not with the dealer, and Burstner do not say anywhere in that document that the contract will be invalidated if one of their authorised dealerships subsequently leaves!

The liability for the leak, provided there is no physical damage to the roof, belongs with Burstner under their warranty.

Archived