Motorhome Habitation Door

clueless1950

The Hartal door on my Bessacarr E460 (2008) has failed, the wiring that passes from the interior through the bottom corner of the door would appear to have developed a fault; disabling the central locking function; the habitation door will open and lock manually from the outside, but the internal lock lever is now not working. It looks like the actuator rod linking the internal lock lever to the main lock assembly has disconnected. Basically if I were able to tour at the moment I would have to secure the habitation door from outside get into the front cab then lock them electronically. Any suggestion on how to sort this out would be much appreciated.(Including removal of internal trim panel.)

Hello re your door, I had a Bessacarr 560 and the wiring that comes out of the bottom of the door into the main body had rubbed/chafed. The Red (live I think?) had stopped the power getting to the motor. With some gentle pulling I got enough wire to be able to strip both ends, solder them together and shrink sleeve them afterwards.

I only found this due to a bit of luck, a lot of stress thinking I may have to renew the door motor etc. Worth a look before you strip the door.

good luck ??

Robert

Cheers Robert, I have inspected the cables you referred to and yes there seems to be some localised damage. There are five cables in the bundle/loom (Green, Red, Blue, Brown, and White,) so obviously the Red should be the one to test. As you say there isn't very much slack to play with so I have ordered some 5 care cable so as to enable me to graft a piece in. In all honest what a poor design on Swifts behalf if they had made the cable entry on the rear of the door and used a line strain sleeve this would have reduced the chances of the cable kinking as the door is closed. However, I still have the problem of the mechanical linkage disconnected from the door lock lever so I think in all honesty the trim panel will have to be removed.

Many thanks for the input

Regards DaveH

Archived