Best Tracker

james-maclaren

Hi,

I have just purchased an 2005 Auto-Trail Apache 700se and need to insure the beast. I have a couple of questions for you all. I assume it is fitted with an immobiliser, but how do I know? I like the idea of a tracker and I am looking for recommendations please. Will a tracker reduce the insurance cost?

Regards,

James

Hi James, welcome to the forum

We have an Autotrail Apache 700 and ours was fitted with a Scorpion Tracker. In a previous life as tugger we had Phantom Tracker. Both have been OK. You need to check if your insurance requires one as it may have to be of a certain security standard which cheap home installed ones often aren't.

Cheers

John

I use a 104 pro from rewire. Current cost about £79 for unit.

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/gps-tracker-tk-104-vehicle-car-tracker

When I bought it I was also able to buy a lifetime support (10 years I think) for about £60 although my memory dependent.

It uses a Lycamobile sim which was their recommendation at the time. £5 would last me forever except that it needed topping up every 90 days (£5). Now for some reason it can chew through £5 in about a month and rewire now use gif gaff as their sim of choice.

The movement is not actively monitored by rewire at this price but that is fine. The app or website provides a good history and present location continuously overlaid on a google map. Various functions are available, see their blurb. The support is good when I have chatted to them.

I stuck a small metal plate in a hidden location and can simply use the magnetic base on the device to position it. I get emails when the battery is getting low. I have mine semi permanently wired and simply plug into an extension cigar lighter fitting when required.

I am under no illusion that it is infallible, but it forms part of the layering that I apply to security. I do not get a discount on insurance as it is self installed and not a thatchem approved monitored device.

Some would argue that an old phone or a cheap text tracker will do the same job. All depends on what you want to do. The same or similar model was available from other sellers a bit cheaper on Amazon etc without support options when I bought mine a few years back.

Hope that helps,

Davy

I doubt that your insurance would insist on a tracker for a 15 yr old van an to get a insurance discount it usually has to be a approved system.

I installed one of these for my own piece of mind https://tinyurl.com/ybbg9jrw gives location to within 3 mtrs using a 2G payg sim at first using a gifgaf but during a trip to europe o2 who's service gigaf used turned it off with no notification because of there fair useage policy

I've been a convert and advocate of Rewire Security and in fact wrote an article for MMM on their unit two years ago and for anyone looking to buy one, if you quote the MMM article, you'll get 10% off.

My tracker has been working perfectly and for the cost as previously mentioned, just change the SIM every year or so for a tenner. RS supply this. I have no reason not to recommend it to the OP.

The only slightly negative point is that since it's self tracked, i.e. not activated and controlled by an outside company, the insurance companies won't offer a reduction in premium but for what it costs what do you expect? For the insurance folk to officially approve a tracker IIRC it has to be Thatcham registered and approved and that seems to cost over £200 a year for them to monitor it.

Quite amusing, I lent my motorhome to my son summer 18 and his family went to France. I got a speeding ticket through the post a while later which he couldn't understand until I showed him the track of where and when he'd been speeding. It's really easy and straightforward to use. I regularly check where I've been and timings etc. A good, cheap useful tool.

I'd happily recommend this.

I thought I had replied to you earlier but it seems to have disappeared! I suggested that if you want a tracker for your peace of mind and not for insurance purposes then you should have a look at the one I have installed, after a recommendation from another poster, to see if it will fit the bill for you.

I was very sceptical before purchase due to its cheap price but decided to try one as for the price, with minor ongoing costs, I felt if it was no good there was nothing lost. Having installed it I am staggered just how good it is. It sends a text with its coordinates on demand or if you set up the geofence option it will text you automatically if it moves out of the fence area. Better still if you download, from Playstore, the app that goes with it you get real time tracking using Google Maps as well as several other features. It uses a Sim card, I got an O2 one for £0.20p, that you top up with £10 and that remains rolling providing you make it operate at least once in 6 months. Can be found at the usual on line site, a similar one here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Realtime-Car-GPS-GSM-Tracker-Locator-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Tracking-Device/192558337073?hash=item2cd55f0c31:g:4UUAAOSwqfhbTw04

Basil

I was pleased that our existing insurer (AXA through Lifesure) would cover our new van without an approved tracker - others I tried for comparison quotes wouldn't at the declared value. Not having a tracker loaded the premium by c. £50 but that is small fry compared to the initial and ongoing costs of going down the approved tracker route.

I've added a non-approved TK905 tracker though at c. £35 and I'm pleased with it. There are advantages IMHO of going with a tracker that is powered by its own internal battery; ease of installation and the fact that it will continue to operate once the thieves park the van up (evidently often within 30 minutes or so) and disconnect cab and hab batteries. Having to charge it (monthly is ample) is a small inconvenience of course.

I have one from GPS tracker store about £15 per year and you can check location on your smart phone. Uses giff gaff sim which needs using every 3 months to keep the sim active and then add some credit when required.

I just use the sim to make a short call every so often.

Archived