Electric Trike

StuartO

My OH is incapable of riding a two-wheeled bike so she would need an electrically assisted trike. I wonder if anyone has experience of using one?  Recommendations for makes and models?

And as a secondary question, is there a solution to charging the batteries of electric bikes when you’re not on Mains power, i.e. a step-up transformer or equivalent digital device to allow you to charge from your MH’s 12v system?

thebishbus - 2020-04-28 2:10 PM

Hello out there. See my post below Stuarts about chargers from Powa Technic at Sheffield. I have a 36 volt one, works fine.

Brian B

I've looked at their website but they only seem to do mains chargers; what I asked about was a charger which would input 12v power and output at the higher voltage required by the bike battery.

Hello Stuart.

My daughter -in - law has had a Di Blasi R 34 electric trike for two years - they are folding ones .

Prior to that she had a non powered version for two years.

They live abroad and when they return in the summer it is great for family cycling on cycle tracks, we have some good options near where we live that involves little road work.

She has not been able to ride a bike since her teenage years because due to a leg condition in one leg is unable to bend it properly or move it to the ground for support. It was a groundbreaking moment when my son came up with the trike solution.

We have been on two holidays with them in the motorhome - we have folding conventional bikes with 20" wheels. On longer trips in the New Forest she was unable to keep going on the manual version , but my son used to tow her. Comical to hear her say whilst being towed " Oh I do love cycling".

The other benefit is that she was able to fold the bike up and put it on the bus and in a taxi on one occasion.....no need to now as she can just keep going with the electric one and my wife and I being in our 70's just can't keep up on any incline - my wife says its a push bike and just pushes.

It folds away almost as easily as a Brompton and much easier than our Dahons and surprisingly is hardly any bulkier although a little heavier, noticeably the electric one - but the battery easily disengages.

There is a slight handling characteristic, but my D-I-L doesn't really notice because she doesn't have anything to compare.

Camping as a family we choose a campsite with EHU and facilities, but the battery has easily coped with a 20 mile ride - but we avoid hilly terrain.

Hope this gives you an insight

Fred

thebishbus - 2020-04-28 6:18 PMStuart,when on their website, go onto battery chargers ,at the bottom of their list click onto 12 volt car cigarette lighter socket.

Brian B.

Got it; they do 24v and 36v versions. Very helpful, thanks. 

I came across a You Tube review of a Raleigh Tristar iE Electric Trike, which has a crank motor and looks extremely well designed and specified - but its an American review and I can't find any evidence of this model being sold in UK.  UK models seems to be modified non-electric trikes which simply have a front wheel hub motor - and I remember reading on hear post from an experienced electric biker that hub motors were distinctly inferior.  Is that the case?

With our 12 V DC recharging of E-bikes what is unavoidable is the relatively large amounts of energy that is required, in comparison with what LA batteries can store. ie they can take a big bite out of what we carry.

If the E-bike has say a 500Watt-h battery, then even with the most perfectly efficient set up that will to fully recharge, drain 42 Ah from our battery(ies), in reality with real world inefficiencies quite a lot more.

Now that is all there is sensibly available from a fully charged 110 Ah LA battery.

The issues can be mitigated by more modest amounts of topping up of the bikes battery, so giving time for the likes of solar to replenish the LA battery, or as suggested limit recharging to whilst driving, where the vehicle's alternator can supply the power to give the energy required.

My own conclusion after wishing to recharge my wife's E-bike off an EHU, is that it was not going to be viable for us.

My solution is cycle with her charger in a pannier and if needed, top whilst having a coffee or meal out where one could gain access to a mains feed.

I think you might be right and carrying your mains charger while you’re out with bike if necessary sounds like a good plan, even as a routine contingency. 

It’s not as if you will need to charge them every time you park up your MH either unless you want to be on your bike all the time, which we’re unlikely to do. 

StuartO - 2020-04-29 9:52 AM

UK models seems to be modified non-electric trikes which simply have a front wheel hub motor - and I remember reading on hear post from an experienced electric biker that hub motors were distinctly inferior.  Is that the case?

The main advantage of a crank drive is the power goes through the gears, I have thousands of miles experience of hub drives, and for most of the time they do the business, but unless they are a high torque motor(p.s. or small wheeled) they can struggle on steep hills, I now have hundreds of miles experience of crank drive and for me with a dodgy hip it's a much better option.

Archived