Breakdown insurance

MrsJ

Our breakdown insurance with CMC Green Flag is due for renewal on 1st May. As our van and 2 other vehicles are all SORNd it seems daft to renew at present as I feel sure that we will not be going out until at least the end of May. I changed from the RAC who I had been with for a number of years as their renewal had increased on the basis that I had had them out a couple of times (? I thought this was what I paid for).

Green Flag was cheaper but I do not know what their service is like because I have not called them out .

My past experience with the RAC has been very good both in the U.K. and in France although I have only experience in cars, never with a motorhome. I changed only because of the money. I did once have one year with the AA which I will never ever repeat.

We are both well into our 70's and think in the future will only travel in the U.K. When the time comes and we re-tax and get on the road again I think that I shall go with Green Flag again, but the opinion of

others would be interesting. Dont tell me you pay your money you take your chance - I know that.

Our van is PVC - Relay L2 H2.

Whilst cost is an important factor, I would be inclined to put more weight on the past levels of service which you seem to have found satisfactory. I also have been with the RAC for 30 plus years and find them to be satisfactory. The arrival policy (RAC via C&CC ) also suits because it has no weight, height, length or age restrictions.

RAC are open to negotiation on renewal prices, rather like comparison sites, get a quote and ring them. My premium has not risen for 3 years due to a bit of haggling.

Worth going to the RAC website and getting a quote as a new member, assuming you have not done this.

As a long time member, obviously I cannot speak for other breakdown companies and levels of service. I have looked at their sites in the past and been unable to get a comparable product to the RAC one.

Davy

I left the RAC as without membership of CCC they would not cover the motorhome as it was outside their size definitions (worth checking you are covered if you are not a member of CCC), although I had been a member of the RAC for over 25 years, what difference being a member of CCC made I don't get. I had only used them once during that period of time for a car that had an electrical fault that started to smoke behind the dash so was taken to my local repairer. however their service was good on that occasion.

I changed to Green Flag and have had three poor experiences with them, one taking over two hours to attend, one where they didn't turn up at all and one where they would not help with a puncture in a car with no spare (not supplied from new only a pump up kit). It's worth noting that Green Flag use nominated recovery people not necessarily their own people and I believe that is where they fall down.

I am now with Brittania Rescue for my cars who I have not yet had to use, but the motorhome is covered by my Insurer Caravan Guard, again I have not had occasion to require their use.

Basil

Archived