Traveling to Crete

johnfromnorfolk

My daughter had a wedding planned on Crete in May this year.

Family and friends all had flights booked to the Greek island but the terrible world pandemic has made us postpone the wedding.

We are currently trying to re-arrange the wedding for next May (2021).

With all our motorhome trips postponed or abandoned for this year, we are considering driving the motorhome to the wedding on Crete next May (gives us something to focus on).

Has anyone experienced this route.

It looks like a ferry from Italy, could be Venice or further South to Patras on the Peloponnese, drive across to Piraeus and ferry to Crete.

Any idea's of cost etc would be appreciated.

Stay safe and well.

We traveled to Greece by MINOAN line from Venice and toured the Peloponnese, for 3 months great trip and wild camped all the time with no trouble many ferries available for travel to whatever Island you want, you can also cross to Greece from Brindisi or Ancona , but Venice was great a 35 hour crossing but one resides in their van on a special deck and connected to electricity too, one also has use of all the Ferries facilities, a cabin also if preferred, I do not know what the cost would be now but an on line search of Minoan Line or A Ferry To web site would give you all the details of cost, A fabulous journey and a great experience, beats flying any time,

Either one of the ferries from Italy or (better yet) just continue the drive all the way to Greece through Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & Macedonia. Neither option is going to be cheaper than flying (well, who knows what happens as all airlines go belly up). It all depends on available time. Slovenia to Greece is a 2 day drive if you're just pushing through. I still preffer that over being stuck on a boat for 2 days.

We lived in Crete for many years and did the trip lots of times both in cars and the motorhome. We always used the ferry from Ancona in Italy to Patras then drive across to Piraeus and then the ferry down to Crete. Ancona is a little bit further to drive than Venice but the ferry is cheaper and not as long and the motorways are good and quite cheap in Italy. We have done England to Ancona in 2 days but it is more enjoyable to take 4 or 5 days and keep off the motorways in France. There used to be a time when you could just turn up at the ferry port and compare prices with ferry companies but those days are gone too many ferry companies have amalgamated. We last did the trip in 2017 and booked with Viamare. The return ferry costs were about £800 which included camping on board from Italy to Greece. There is no camping on board from Piraeus to Crete which is usually an overnight ferry. You get a discount if you book the domestic leg on the same ferry line. The Greeks don’t get their schedules and prices out very early in the season. It takes about 5 hours to drive from Patras to Piraeus and good luck finding the port!

If you decide to do the trip and want suggestions of where to stop let us know. Crete is a wonderful island to explore in the motorhome so please build time into your schedule to stay a while.

spirou - 2020-04-30 3:09 AMEither one of the ferries from Italy or (better yet) just continue the drive all the way to Greece through Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & Macedonia. Neither option is going to be cheaper than flying (well, who knows what happens as all airlines go belly up). It all depends on available time. Slovenia to Greece is a 2 day drive if you're just pushing through. I still preffer that over being stuck on a boat for 2 days.
I would hardly call our boat trip to Patras 35 hours from Venice, as being stuck on a ship, used the bars , restaurants and swam in the on board pool, watched the Dolphins as we sailed along the Coast, great trip , open deck to live in the van on too, and company of other Motorhomers, The voyage out of Venice dock along the Grand Canal was superb. each to their own of course.

vindiboy - 2020-04-30 12:01 PM

used the bars , restaurants and swam in the on board pool, watched the Dolphins as we sailed along the Coast, great trip , open deck to live in the van on too, and company of other Motorhomers, The voyage out of Venice dock along the Grand Canal was superb. each to their own of course.

Lets just say I see the difference as eating in a crappy school cafeteria vs. a great restaurant (of which there are many along the route). Also too many great swimming spots to count. ;-)

Hi John

I’m pleased your brought this up.

Our accountant did something similar a couple of years ago and he absolutely loved it.

I wasn’t sure of the route he took and will now make some notes from your replies.

Something to look forward to.

Hope the wedding takes place and all goes nicely.

Den

Many thanks for your excellent replies.

We will take up your kind offer Petra of recommendations, regarding Crete.

We are familiar with Crete and Greece in general due to many years of island hopping although our last trip was in 2009.

We have been looking at the Minoan website and have been able to get a rough idea of costing based on 2020 fares.

It would appear that using motorhomes on decks aboard ferries from Italy is no longer an option.

We intend to take some time after the wedding to see more of Crete and slowly make our way back through Italy.

While flying maybe cheaper,the prospect of spending a couple of months touring again after being starved this year is keeping us going during the lockdown.

Our daughter is currently negotiating with the company that is organising the wedding to change the date, but if she does not succeed, I think we have decided that Greece will certainly be next years destination.

Thanks again for your replies.

Stay safe and well.

johnfromnorfolk - 2020-04-30 6:03 PM

It would appear that using motorhomes on decks aboard ferries from Italy is no longer an option.

just for info were booked from Bari to Ignoumenester (spelt wrong i know)for September and we are supposed to be on deck plugged into ehu for the trip on board Anek superfast.

Jonathan

Minoan have stopped camping on board but I believe you get a free cabin if you travel from Venice. Anek and Superfast both still offer camping on board with electric hook up. Depending on which route you take we tend to stop at various aires on the way through France, go over the Col de Mont Cenis a wonderful drive, with a good campsite at Neige Camping at Lanslevillard. Soragna is a good stop on the way through Italy on the way to Ancona. It’s a free car park with water and emptying facilities and close to supermarket, bakery, shops and pizza restaurants. There is no overnight parking at the port at Ancona these days but a good stop just before is at Fano. If you go through Belgium, Germany and Austria take the Resia Pass which avoids the toll roads and is another scenic route.

Once in Greece at Patras you can wild camp alongside the beach , or even better head for En Plo at Ritsomylou, a camperstop alongside the beach with all facilities and a little restaurant. Or a little further is Diakopto where you can wild camp along the beach and if you stay take the cog railway up to Kalavryta.

On Crete itself I don’t know which end of the Island you will be staying, we lived in Ammoudara near Agios Nikolaos in the east but we travelled extensively around the island. In the east we’d suggest you visit Vai and we parked overnight at the harbour at Kouremenos. One of our favourite places is Kato Zakros where we parked alongside the beach. On the south coast Camping No problem at Agia Galini is a nice site to stay at and has a good restaurant, a swimming pool and is walking distance to the town. You should definitely go to Frangokastelo near Schora Sfakion, we parked alongside the castle walls which were lit up on a night. Further along is Paleohora and a good site is Camping Grameno right on the beach. There is a pink beach at Elafonisi which is worth seeing. An amazing ride is along the west coast and then you can stop at Sfinari. It is a great place by the sea with some great tavernas. A little further North is Falassarna another wonderful pink beach with easy parking. Other decent sites along the north coast is Camping Mithmina at Kissamos and Camping Elizabeth at Rethymnon. There are lots of wild camping spots along this coast.

If you are up for it and providing the ferry is still running you can go from the port at Kastelli up to Gytheio on the Peloponnese. It was a brilliant journey calling at some of the tiny islands on the way.

Hope this helps and have a good trip and an even better wedding.

Well, well,well. What brilliant information Petra.

Thank you very much.

We were not aware of the Kastelli to Gytheio ferry which opens up touring the Peloponnese from Crete.

We are trying to re arrange the wedding for next year that was going to take place in Agios Nikolaos and the reception in Gouves.

We have decided that even if the wedding cannot be re arranged we will make Crete and the Peloponnese our next years destination.

Thanks again.

Stay safe and well.

John from Norfolk.

Petra - 2020-05-01 12:34 PM

………………….... If you go through Belgium, Germany and Austria take the Resia Pass which avoids the toll roads and is another scenic route. ……………………...

But if doing so be sure to go through Landeck on the B171/L76 (if using sat-nav set to avoid toll roads), because the road signs will guide you inexorably toward the Reschen Strasse (or Landecker Tinnel) which is part of the (toll) A12.

Also, check what restrictions the Austrians currently have in place for this route, as last year they were having a tiff with the Germans, and had closed access to the non toll route for through traffic at certain periods (mainly at German holiday weekends) to push it onto the A12 toll autobahn. The first restrictions were on exit from the Grenztunnel into Austria. This tunnel links the (German) AA7 near Fussen to the (Austrian) B179 for Reutte.

We used the route on Monday 15 Sept 2019, which was the day after the restrictions were lifted, and it was fine - though busier than usual. It is a good route via the Fern and Reschen passes, well engineered and with relatively easy gradients.

Good, slightly different, lunch stop at a car park in Curon Venosta, beside the Reschensee! :-D

We forgot to say that most of the archaeological sites have free parking, plenty of space for motorhomes. We overnighted at a couple. Is the wedding taking place at the little church at Almiros?

Hi Petra

They originally wanted to get married in the small chapel in the village of Gouves, as they had spent holidays in the village and become friendly with a local family.

Unfortunately that became almost impossible, so the wedding ceremony was planned to be in a hotel in Agios Nikolaos and a celebration party in Gouves.

Thanks again for your advice.

John

We've started something here PETRA.

Looks like the Greek roads will be full of us motorhomers next year, I hope so.

BRIAN

Your route looks familiar.

We went to Croatia a couple of years ago through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and over the Dolomite's to Trieste and beyond.

I could not recount the actual detail of the route as I'm only the driver (and cassette emptier) who follows the directions of my wife and Sally sat nav.

PEEJAY

Thanks for the link. Are we neighbours?

COLINM50

See you in Greece!!

Seriously folks.

Its good to have a diversion in these difficult times.

Something to look forward to.

Thanks again for your posts.

Stay safe and well.

John from Norfolk.

Archived