Is 2020 going to be a complete write off for motorhoming?

StuartO

Well this may be of interest re Germany who are in the process of relaxing their restrictions and are probably the largest motorhoming community within Europe

Thomas Bareiss, the federal tourism commissioner, told German newspaper Der Tagesspiegel that, if the coronavirus outbreak remained under control in the country, then people may be able to holiday abroad soon. . . .

.. . . But if the outbreak remained under control, then he said Germans would be able to have staycations or even visit neighbouring countries which can be reached by car such as Austria, Poland and France so long as they had a similar drop in infections.

"I hope that, given the good numbers, we will be able to relax the restrictions in the next four to eight weeks," he said.

He even raised the prospect of trips further afield to Spain’s Balearic Islands and Greece, saying Germany was in talks with other countries about how this could be achieved safely.

"I would not yet write off other regions in Europe, such as the Balearic Islands or the Greek islands," he told the newspaper.

So maybe July/August for Germany which would be perfect timing - Vorsprung Durch Technik

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2020-05-07 1:39 PM

on the other hand it will be a long time before package tours, cruises, even hotels and cafe's get back to normal.

So Motorhoming might become more popular

The second point (IMO) will very much depend on whether prospective motorhomers will feel financially stable and sufficiently secure in their jobs to invest in such a luxury item as a motorhome.

The sensible folk will probably use the next few years to ringfence their finances and make sure they are sorted for the future.

That said, the dealers have a huge amount of new stock (and its associated debt) on their forecourts so that's going to take an immense push to clear all of those hundreds of vans before the converters start screaming for them to take more vehicles for the MY21.

I reckon the likes of the Brit converters will be lucky to make it through this period with half of their business intact - lots of redundancies ahead for sure.

UK motorhoming and caravaning will probably increase as the older folk realise that medical insurance for European travel is now out of their financial reach or, alternatively, is just too risky to become ill in a foreign land.

Either way I reckon our sport will have huge challenges ahead of it.

I like the way BOP refers to motorhoming as sport. I tend to refer to it as a hobby but it is not a definition that I feel adequately describes what we do. All suggestions gratefully received.

The idea of it being a sport appeals to me. I would be happy to represent the UK at the olympics if asked. :-D

Davy

It's neither a sport nor a hobby, nor a money pit as far as I'm concerned. It is/was simply a way of having a holiday or seeing other countries in my own space and at my own pace. I have simply adapted our motorhome to our wants and needs by DIY and ingenuity and it does us proud. I have always gone by the KISS principle. Our vehicle meets our needs so won't be sold or changed so is not a liability or an investment. Maybe we'll be able to use it again in the future, maybe not? It really doesn't matter to us - we live on the coast, in Kent. 7 mile beach 480 metres away.

Archived