Battery disconnection.

Mike Chapman

I seem to remember a thread on this forum about what happens if the vehicle battery is disconnected and all the settings are lost.

In the 7-13 March 2007 issue No. 951 of Auto Express is an advert for the Gunson Intelligent Memory Minder which will maintain the vehicle codes. The website is www.gunson.co.uk

There is also a review of Portable Sat Nav devices.

Regards,

Mike.

Can anyone advise if the engine management system of a 1998 Duetto 2.5 turbo diesel Ford Transit is likely to give problems if the battery is disconnected while the van is stored for six months? We will be storing it while we return to New Zealand over the UK winter and my cunning plan was to disconnect the battery so it doesn't discharge through the clock etc so it will retain some charge, then reconnect the battery and start the van using a portable powerpack. Now I have seen some comments on this forum, I wonder if that's a wise move. Perhaps it's only on more modern vehicles that this is a potential problem. I wondered about connecting a trickle charger with both batteries connected through a fused link, but there may not be mains power available in the storage facility. In any case, I wonder if it would be wise to leave a vehicle unattended for six months with a charger connected as any malfunction of the charger could create a disaster.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks.

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Fear not, disconnect the battery and have a good holiday, from the thread I started, it seems the worst that can happen is the ECU will need to relearn the driving methods you use.

I replaced the battery on a 1998 1.9td Fiat Starfire after the original battery shorted out, so there was no power to the ECU for some 24 hrs, when I fitted the new battery, the vehicle drove okay, no problems ar all.

Regards Terry

Your advice to contact Ford was very sensible, Brian. Why didn't I think of that?? As I'm in New Zealand, I emailed Ford here (UK spec Transits are sold here) and the advice from a very helpful technical service engineer was that some modules in the engine management computer will lose their settings, but they are only "learnt adaptive strategies" which will be re-learned with use. None will affect starting. So, your advice to go for it was correct, Terry. Thanks to both for the comments.

Archived