Euro Travel Ban

witzend

Not actually the case. The Balearic Islands are just a small part of Spain. France has already stated that they will allow travel from within the Schengen area plus the UK without the requirement for isolation. Other countries may/may not follow suit although I think Germany and possibly Italy will follow likewise. Mind you, given our economic recession and the probability that the down turn will last at least two years then whether people want to/can afford to go off on a continental holiday is, of course, another matter.

Re: "holidaymakers"

Until the world is properly on top of this (if not by way of a full-on vaccine, at least by having dependable med's to help people through it),and/or the infection rate is so low that the chances of catching it are miniscule, then just who in their right mind would be choosing to shoehorn themselves and their loved ones into a 'plane and then go mixing in bars, clubs and restaurants etc at holiday hotspots!? ...

pepe63 - 2020-05-07 11:11 AM

Until the world is properly on top of this (if not by way of a full-on vaccine, at least by having dependable med's to help people through it),and/or the infection rate is so low that the chances of catching it are miniscule, then just who in their right mind would be choosing to shoehorn themselves and their loved ones into a 'plane and then go mixing in bars, clubs and restaurants etc at holiday hotspots!? ...

Plenty will if they are told they can. Did you see the photo of a packed Air Lingus plane the other day? Sadly I suspect many of them will have been key workers but it was still allowed to happen.

Personally I have written this year off in terms of getting abroad. Ill settle for a couple of months on my favourite CL if we are lucky enough for them to reopen this summer. If not, ill just be happy to while away the summer here staying safe and grateful that Im not skint or stuck in a flat in a town or city.

At the moment in France, really from the 11th May you can only drive 100 kl from your home. That is only if you live in a green area, if you live in a red area you are not allowed to travel other than for the present regulations. If you are in a green area you are not allowed to go into a red area and from a red area not enter a green area. Confused? Shops are opening as well from Monday but no bars, cafes or restaurants. Also most beaches and lakes will remain closed.

Just looked at the new map issued today and the region Pas de Calais is RED.

The map was updated yesterday and is only red or green, there are no yellow areas anymore, also the departments that were in red, some now have changed to green and can change daily depending on the number of cases in each region.

A couple in Worcester are going to France in their MH on the 11th May !!!

They are in their 60’s.

I personally don’t know them and if I did would probably advise them against it.

It’ll be interesting to hear if they make it to the port/tunnel.

People are traveling significant distances in the UK to get to funerals or for work so as long they have a journey justification I doubt they’d have a problem if they’re stopped by the police (which is unlikely). Getting to the port should be fine. Getting across the Channel will be more of a challenge but then again we might assume that they have forward booked and their reason for travelling has been accepted by whoever is transporting them. Travel within France I suspect will be the greater issue given that they are likely to be landing in a red zone.

Perhaps they have a long term booking and hoping to still get the ferry or tunnel. Maybe they will let us all know how they get on uf they do go.

Just looked at www.aferry.co.uk and this it what they arè saying,

Travel from the UK to France: 

Our passenger shuttle services continue to operate but there are now restrictions on all movements within France that mean people are only allowed to be on the roads if they have completed this form and have it with them. This page explains the circumstances under which people are allowed to travel within France – please check carefully before travelling to Folkestone, you may be turned away by the French Authorities if you don’t have good reason to travel within France. They have advised us that they will only allow travel for the following reasons: 

Going home;

Travelling to their main residence;

Working in France;

Medical

NO HOLIDAYS OR SOCIAL VISITS. 

I don’t think it’s a long term booking

I tend to agree with you that the uk police will turn them round.

The husband has eltzimers. ( not sure if that’s the correct spelling)

They seem to think it’s ok as long as they use masks when outside the MH.

I’ll probably find out some details from my daughter and will keep all posted.

11:15 am - After May 11, what steps?

Deconfinement will be implemented in France from Monday, May 11. On May 18, Franceinfo reports that the first college students will return to school on this date, but not everywhere. Religious ceremonies will resume in late May. And on June 2, a possible reopening of high schools, cafes and restaurants could take place, as well as the start of StopCovid. Finally, the European borders could reopen on June 15, while the lifting of the state of health emergency could take place in July.

Travel abroad . Edouard Philippe confirmed that travel abroad was on the other hand compromised for the coming months, judging that it is still too early to talk about summer holidays. Decisions on the matter are expected to be announced on June 2. Christophe Castaner has also confirmed on LCI that the borders inside the Schengen area will remain closed until further notice. "It is" too early "to know if a vacation in Spain, Italy or others will be possible .

The above from Le Figaro group

https://www.linternaute.com/actualite/guide-vie-quotidienne/2491651-deconfinement-comment-calculer-la-distance-de-100km-a-vol-d-oiseau/

No point in coming here (I live near the French /Spanish border Bearn) even if you could no bars or restaurants open

Barryd999 - 2020-05-07 12:23 PM

pepe63 - 2020-05-07 11:11 AM

Plenty will if they are told they can.

I think it more likely folk will go off their own bat and hope to cross the pond rather than wait to be told. I read that article yesterday but loathe to post it.

Personally I have written this year off in terms of getting abroad. Ill settle for a couple of months on my favourite CL if we are lucky enough for them to reopen this summer. If not, ill just be happy to while away the summer here staying safe and grateful that Im not skint or stuck in a flat in a town or city.

Friends of mine usually work the summer season in UK as site wardens. The site owner has decided to stay closed completely this year as they are not prepared to open the facilities (shower/toilet block, washrooms, cafe) or guarantee distancing of vans so it was easier for them to remain closed this year.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-08 3:57 PM

Friends of mine usually work the summer season in UK as site wardens. The site owner has decided to stay closed completely this year as they are not prepared to open the facilities (shower/toilet block, washrooms, cafe) or guarantee distancing of vans so it was easier for them to remain closed this year.

The place I'm hoping to get to is just a CL field with a rally field next to it. We have even stayed there when its been officially closed as we know the owners well. He may decide the same though of course and fair enough. I wont be going anywhere until I've seen for myself the results of any lifted restrictions. I had to go up in to the Upper Dales today and then back through Barnard Castle. Plenty of people wandering around eating Ice creams etc. Just seemed like business as usual.

Be aware of limitations on your health/travel insurance.

I quote below from a recent communication from Nationwide regarding travel insurance linked to our account.

"If you have a FlexAccount or a FlexPlus current account with access to travel insurance, we want you to be aware that for any new trips booked on or after 18 March 2020 , you won't be covered for events caused by the Cononavirus pandemic." (My bold)

This was actually received well after 18 March, but is nevertheless clear. I assume most, if not all, insurers will have imposed similar restrictions. What constitutes an "event caused by the Coronavirus pandemic" will, of course, at least in the first instance, be determined by the insurer. So, good luck with that! :-|

It seems probable to me that this will remain the case until a) a vaccine or similar is available, and b) one has some form of certificate of vaccination as proof of inoculation.

For so long as the virus remains in circulation and there is no permanent protection against it, all that can be said is that there is a (hopefully!) diminishing risk of contracting it. Until it is - at least for all intents and purposes - eradicated, we all remain at risk of a couple of weeks in intensive care and, if we have travelled in the face of warnings against doing so, but especially if taken ill/hospitalised abroad, the costs involved are potentially catastrophic for any saving billionaires.

That, to me seems to be the harsh present reality. In any normal year we'd both be well south of the Loire by now, and I can't presently see that changing before next spring. Bummer! :-(

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-09 11:32 AM

I quote below from a recent communication from Nationwide regarding travel insurance linked to our account.

"If you have a FlexAccount or a FlexPlus current account with access to travel insurance, we want you to be aware that for any new trips booked on or after 18 March 2020 , you won't be covered for events caused by the Cononavirus pandemic." (My bold)

This was actually received well after 18 March, but is nevertheless clear. I assume most, if not all, insurers will have imposed similar restrictions. What constitutes an "event caused by the Coronavirus pandemic" will, of course, at least in the first instance, be determined by the insurer. So, good luck with that! :-|

It seems probable to me that this will remain the case until a) a vaccine or similar is available, and b) one has some form of certificate of vaccination as proof of inoculation.

For so long as the virus remains in circulation and there is no permanent protection against it, all that can be said is that there is a (hopefully!) diminishing risk of contracting it. Until it is - at least for all intents and purposes - eradicated, we all remain at risk of a couple of weeks in intensive care and, if we have travelled in the face of warnings against doing so, but especially if taken ill/hospitalised abroad, the costs involved are potentially catastrophic for any saving billionaires.

That, to me seems to be the harsh present reality. In any normal year we'd both be well south of the Loire by now, and I can't presently see that changing before next spring. Bummer! :-(

I am guessing though that you would be covered (for now) under the EHIC card if you required emergency hospitalisation while abroad if you contracted Covid 19 and needed hospitalisation. Of course its been indicated that we will lose that if the Transition period is not extended.

I'm not even sure about "diminishing" risks. The more Darwin Awards contenders that gather in the sunshine, the more others see them and join in, because it all looks harmless and everyone appears fine. No-one knows if they are going to have caught anything until maybe two weeks later.

Our daughter in Seoul told us yesterday that a new case of Covid has just been confirmed in a young man who has been frequenting between 5 and 9 bars and nightclubs every night for at least the past week. The city has shut all bars and clubs again and is bracing itself for a new outbreak, all down to one covidiot!

Barryd999 - 2020-05-09 12:36 PM

I am guessing though that you would be covered (for now) under the EHIC card if you required emergency hospitalisation while abroad if you contracted Covid 19 and needed hospitalisation. Of course its been indicated that we will lose that if the Transition period is not extended.

I don't know, Barry, but I'd prefer not to be the one to test your guess! :-)

Two things are clear. First, the virus is still around. Second we all know that. In that light, knowingly taking the risk of catching it - which is where that Nationwide travel cover warning is going - might be interpreted as an act of self-harm, and not as accidental. Unless travelling alone, there is also the risk to one's partner/family, as the notion of self-isolation in a muiti-occupied moho is for the birds!

If the ensuing Covid then turns out to be really nasty, requiring an extended stay in an ICU, or a body repatriated, there seems to me the risk of an argument over who should ultimately bear the cost - the tax payer (via EHIC), or the individual? It isn't as though the risk has been concealed, and taking it is hardly likely to be judged an act of selfless heroism! :-D

Archived