Euro Travel Ban

witzend

Shewolf55 - 2020-05-10 5:20 PM

Hiya, I live near Mt St Michael and the bars here have always been open. SSSOO looking forward to tomorrow when a lot more shops open. I will, of course, be using my face mask, distancing and hand gel xx

Best keep a 135 Euros handy then, Bars being open are prohibited

"En dehors des cafés et restaurants qui ne sont pas encore autorisés à rouvrir sur le plan national, les autres commerces, dont les hôtels et autres hébergements, rouvriront progressivement leurs portes en fonction de leurs propres contraintes", ajoute l'établissement public du Mont.

PS The spelling is Mont-Saint-Michel

Cattwg - 2020-05-09 9:59 PM

Anyone want to buy an ACSI 2020 Camping Card? Mint condition. Very cheap!! Cattwg :-D

Well we luckily didn't bother to renew this year never used it last 2 yrs. But was caught with our first purchase of a French Passion membership

I see that Keith has understandably taken the knife to this discussion.

For the record, ‘moderating’ these forums requires that one of the few (three?) people with the necessary editing capabilities actually sees a thread where trouble is brewing before they can decide that something need be done. Forum moderators are volunteers with no official remit and there are no hard and fast rules on how moderating should be performed. It’s a thankless task and potentially very time consuming.

So try not to take offence and try not to give it. ;-)

Back on topic and an observation on Shewolf55’s posting of 10 May 2020 4:20 PM.

‘Tabacs’ have been permitted to stay open during the French lockdown and many French bars are ‘bar-tabacs’. However, where a bar-tabac is open, its services must be limited to selling tobacco products and the ‘bar’ side must remain firmly closed. (I’ve no idea whether those strictures are adhered to.)

Hi, this is my first post.. My MH is parked in Switzerland and I want to fly out to Geneva and then drive it back to the UK whenever possible and safe to do so. Will I see my MH this side of summer do you think?

Guest rael
Sydney - 2020-05-11 11:45 AM

Hi, this is my first post.. My MH is parked in Switzerland and I want to fly out to Geneva and then drive it back to the UK whenever possible and safe to do so. Will I see my MH this side of summer do you think?

Welcome Sydney. I reckon at this point that might be classed as a non-essential journey. But after last nights 'announcement' who knows what the situation will be like in the coming months. Bearing in mind you'll need to travel through at least 2 other countries (not including UK) a lot will depend on the state of lockdown in those countries as well. I noticed that the 14 days quarantine period for those coming into UK specifically stated flying in, didn't mention ferries/tunnel. Still more questions than answers at the moment, so don't know if this was helpful!

Only those coming in from France by ferry / tunnel wont have to do the 14 days isolation. It appears that the UK and France have a travel agreement but it doesnt say what sort of agreement. I'm sure it will all become clear as mud shortly when the 50 page document is released. Or there again maybe not!!!!

Guest rael
stevec176 - 2020-05-11 1:14 PM

Only those coming in from France by ferry / tunnel wont have to do the 14 days isolation. It appears that the UK and France have a travel agreement but it doesnt say what sort of agreement. I'm sure it will all become clear as mud shortly when the 50 page document is released. Or there again maybe not!!!!

Its another puzzler! So if I fly from Paris to London, I do 14 days isolation. If I drive, I don't. I'm assuming this is because of the cramped conditions on planes, airports etc. All will be revealed, we hope!

Sydney - 2020-05-11 10:45 AM

As I understand it, Switzerland’s borders are essentially closed so currently you’d be refused entry. We can assume that that will eventually change although if the UK is seen as an area of high infection it’s quite possible that you’ll still be refused entry or possibly have to undergo quarantine. So to answer your question, I suspect nobody knows. Greece, having locked down hard and having locked down early is now opening up and expects to have a tourist season. Other countries appear to have been more complacent so will probably be locked down to some extent for much longer. Writing without supporting evidence I’d expect you to be in a position to retrieve your van around September/October.

Guest rael
rael - 2020-05-11 1:44 PM

Its another puzzler! So if I fly from Paris to London, I do 14 days isolation. If I drive, I don't. I'm assuming this is because of the cramped conditions on planes, airports etc. All will be revealed, we hope!

Hmm, meant to say if I fly from, for example from Duesseldorf, to UK I do 14 days isolation, if I drive, how would anyone know I'd come from Germany? Ok going to shut up, have confused myself.

rael - 2020-05-11 5:08 PM

Hmm, meant to say if I fly from, for example from Duesseldorf, to UK I do 14 days isolation, if I drive, how would anyone know I'd come from Germany? Ok going to shut up, have confused myself.

I think you would find it hard to get to the tunnel/ferry with the border restrictions currently in place.

Guest rael
Muswell - 2020-05-11 6:19 PM

rael - 2020-05-11 5:08 PM

I think you would find it hard to get to the tunnel/ferry with the border restrictions currently in place.

They have now clarified and it includes tunnel/ferry as well as flights.

TeamRienza - 2020-05-10 3:18 PM

I’ll see your ACSI card and raise you a France Passion card! Davy

After seeing this post I posted myself then got to thinking and emailed French Passion asking if they would consider giving a voucher towards next year as I'd not be able to use this years. They send a voucher for next years membership

Excellent. Very good of them considering it could cost them a lot. I will think about asking later in the year since it is valid until next March, so no rash decisions. It may be a good way of isolating for a week or so late season if things improve.

I am currently taking the view that I am saving upwards of £4000 by not visiting France this year, so €25 will not break the bank for me.

Davy

France Passion (FP) has provided COVID-19-related guidance here

https://www.france-passion.com/en/france-passion/news/107-covid-19-france-passion-motorhome-network

That advice is dated 17 March 2020 and is clearly aimed at French residents who are FP members.

(As FP was prepared to give witzend a voucher for next year’s membership, it would be wise to ask for similar treatment ASAP. If lots of motorcaravanners conclude that they will not be making good use of their 2020/2021 membership and ask for a voucher, FP may become less generous.)

My fingers are crossed for June 15th.

Switzerland, Germany, France and Austria have agreed in principle on the coordinated re-opening of borders and re-introduction of the free movement of people by June 15. However, there are no immediate plans to unblock the borders with Italy. "Tourism can resume between the three countries from mid-June, provided the conditions are right," said Justice Minister Karin Keller-Sutter on May 13. The exact details will be clarified on May 27.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-19_what-s-happening-at-swiss-borders-and-airports-/45727184

This analysis suggests that UK campsites may open from July https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/may/15/englands-campsites-prepare-to-open-in-july-summer-government-relaxed-lockdown-restrictions which for UK holiday makers may be good news.

On the other hand the news today (Financial Times) that the gov.uk has reversed its previous decision and now intends to quarantine arrivals from France unless they’re delivery drivers or other ‘key professionals’ does make me wonder if this will essentially shutdown travel to and back from Continental Europe for the foreseeable future. A shame when countries in Continental Europe are now planning to open their borders to travellers especially given that the UK being a few weeks behind other countries is likely to be experiencing a higher infection rate at present than they are.

Slovenia/Croatia border is open with the resulting exodus to the coast this weekend.

As I understand so is, or will be very soon, Austria/Germany. Also open for "internal" travel are borders of baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia). Just missing Poland and we can drive up to Finland again soon :-D

Archived