Cabin air filter/pollen filter Ducato 2.8JTD 2004

laimeduck

Chatting with a friend who has a Multipla and is just changing his pollen filter. Got me to thinking - has my Benimar got one?

I cant find one?

Can anyone please tell me if my vehicle would have one and where can I find it if it has?

The handbook says it "might" and that it would be changed by a Fiat dealer - very useful!

I have looked online and there is conflicting information - some have some haven't, depending on the base vehicle?

and they all seem to be different sizes?

My base vehicle was made in September 2003, as a "V9 Cabin cruiser, short wheelbase" and "245 MC5 0(0),Cabrina Motrice 2.8JTD 4x2 (18Q) with an M15 2800JTD engine".

Thanks

Jeremy

I think they were normally only fitted with aircon (which you may have).

AFAIR, it's accessed from the engine compartment and is just under the windscreen on the passenger side (where the cabin air inlet is).

The trim under the windscreen needs removing to access it.

This gives a view:

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/file/Product/MediaAssets/HBPqWB2t.pdf

...but, I'm not sure it's entirely correct, as I think the trim may be split, with only one part needing removal (and possibly negating the need to remove the wiper arms).

Robinhood - 2020-05-12 8:32 PM

I think they were normally only fitted with aircon (which you may have).

AFAIR, it's accessed from the engine compartment and is just under the windscreen on the passenger side (where the cabin air inlet is).

The trim under the windscreen needs removing to access it.

This gives a view:

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/file/Product/MediaAssets/HBPqWB2t.pdf

...but, I'm not sure it's entirely correct, as I think the trim may be split, with only one part needing removal (and possibly negating the need to remove the wiper arms).

Robin - thanks for that - yes we have aircon - but the pdf does not seem to relate to my vehicle? If I look into the grill, passenger side, there is simply quite a large void - I can see the water drain point and the void goes back maybe 9 to 12"? (towards the glovebox) I think it's likely I don't have one fitted?

As I said, I'm not sure the PDF pictures are entirely correct for a 2002/3 vehicle, but, where fitted, the replacement is by removing the "under-windscreen" trim, and slotting the new filter in over the top of the cabin air intake.

I'm not sure this schematic helps a lot, either, but the filter is item 12, and it shows how it fits over the top of the air intake.

https://www.fiatdalys.lt/en/catalog/parts/501/3/0/1/2E/0/0/M15,M20,M22,M25,M26/0/GD/air-conditioning-system#1312766080

Jeremy,

there are plenty of videos on Youtube relevant to the x250 onwards (where, as Witzend says, the filter is inside, behind the central glovebox/drinks holder, and you need a double-jointed dwarf to replace it!).

There are no videos I can find that show the X244. However, there is one for the X230, where I believe the location and basic process is the same (unchanged by the later version you have). It is here:

Note, this process looks very like the PDF instructions (that filter is the same number for the earlier version, and I think the basic PDF instructions refer to that). As I said before, I believe the under-windscreen trim for the X244 was redesigned and split to make access easier.

The vehicle in the video is LHD, and I still think the filter is on the UK passenger side, due to the different "handing" on RHD vehicles (where not only the internal layout is different, but also some of the underbonnet components). It should be easy to determine which side, as it is the side where the trim is vented for the cabin air-intake.

I don't think you'll be able to determine whether one is fitted or not without removing the trim (I think the location will be hidden).

I notice that thee was a similar enquiry here in late-2009

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pollen-Filter-location-on-2005-2-3-Fait/17730/

It’s perhaps worth repeating Nick Fisher’s caveat

"One word of warning though, if you remove the screws that hold down the plastic surround at the base of the screen you will find that most of them will break off as they become seriously corroded within a year or two. Anyone that has had a new windscreen... have a look at how many screws were put back in afterwards, you may be surprised/annoyed.”

Robin & Derek - thanks for the info - it was really very useful but actually didn't help as I haven't got a filter!

I've just managed to check it all out and have taken a few pictures which I'll post later.

IF there was one it would be no more than a 5 minute job to change it!

I'll re-size the pics and post imminently.

Jeremy

The removal of the plastic trim under the windscreen is simply a case of removing a few torx type crews which screw into plastic lugs, so there is no corrosion to worry about (ref Nick Fisher's warning!). The windscreen wiper can be left in-situ as the plastic trim is in 2 pieces..

This reveals a large void which has the scuttle drain and above that a half bowl black plastic structure. Looking through the bowl one can see the green fan impeller.

The half bowl is there to stop water from the scuttle going through the fan.

If a filter was fitted it would, I assume, be above this half bowl.

The pictures are self explanatory.

Once again thanks to Robin & Derek.

Jeremy

20200513_122929.jpg.5012a9e014aade51d3358b576633d511.jpg

20200513_124155.thumb.jpg.ab1fb89fce978bf513da568d7e0af47e.jpg

20200513_123334.thumb.jpg.72000cfd375fc659e44113ca748c60f5.jpg

20200513_122947.thumb.jpg.f2aacf7da6732640fe344013bf150681.jpg

20200513_122837.thumb.jpg.f93d4d9e9102f91393da1d9eeac23704.jpg

20200513_122955.thumb.jpg.ee30301f5bd209f5137c97a27a516779.jpg

20200513_122901.thumb.jpg.2a28fd5f9d53a941f890704a77e2b9fa.jpg

That looks spot on, Jeremy (and I was pretty sure I remembered a split piece of trim ;-) )

You can compare the position with the other-handed Youtube video of the X230, and make the comparison. A very similar, if reversed, location, and the mount and filter are absent on yours.

I'm actually quite pleased there isn't one fitted.

We have the heating controls permanently set to "recycle" anyway so there should be little air coming in through a filter even if it was fitted. The void was full of harvestman spider webs (see pic of the green fan) indicating the air wasn't flowing through.

With the huge volume of the van there is no fear of stale air. (Plus the poorly fitting doors of Fiats leak like sieves anyway!)

In the summer why try to cool hot air from the outside, and in winter why heat cold air from the outside?

So something I don't have to worry about changing!

Archived