Hello, newbie needing help!

KD

Hello all

Yesterday we purchased our new (to us) motorhome after being undecided whether or not to get one for about 9 months. We got a Fiat something Benimar (I'll leave the technical stuff to dh) anyway, since we know absolutley zip about about the workings of it forgive me for the questions I am about to ask today and possibly for the next year!! :-D

Firstly the loo. It's a Thetford cassette one. I presume you put chemicals in right? (told you didn't have a clue!) but is it ok to use normal cleaning products as well or do they affect the chemicals?

Also dh wants a reversing camera on. After reading the supplement in MMM this month they seem complicated to fit and expensive. Has any one bought one off ebay? There are some on there for about £70 but my feeling is that they will be not so good.

If anyone wants to give me any other advice it will be much appreciated.

We collect it in 2 wks so hope to make our madien voyage then.

Karen x

K&D - 2007-03-10 9:06 AM

Hello all

Yesterday we purchased our new (to us) motorhome after being undecided whether or not to get one for about 9 months. We got a Fiat something Benimar (I'll leave the technical stuff to dh) anyway, since we know absolutley zip about about the workings of it forgive me for the questions I am about to ask today and possibly for the next year!! :-D

Firstly the loo. It's a Thetford cassette one. I presume you put chemicals in right? (told you didn't have a clue!) but is it ok to use normal cleaning products as well or do they affect the chemicals?

Also dh wants a reversing camera on. After reading the supplement in MMM this month they seem complicated to fit and expensive. Has any one bought one off ebay? There are some on there for about £70 but my feeling is that they will be not so good.

If anyone wants to give me any other advice it will be much appreciated.

We collect it in 2 wks so hope to make our madien voyage then.

Karen x

Hi karen

First of all welcome to the MMM forum and to the wonderful world of motorhoming.

I'm sure you will have many questions in the future months but don't worry - we all had to start at some time and know just how much there is to learn.

I wonder if you bought the 'van at a dealership as they normally would give you a comprehensive handover and talk you thoruhg most of the on-board facilities?

Never mind - the thetford cassette toilet is fitted to most motorhomes so it's easy advice. There are special additives that you put in the cassette before use to help break down the contents and keep odours at bay. Thetford make their own but any propeitary make will suffice and can be obtained at caravan accessory shops (or at the stands at motorhme shows) and sometimes even at hardware or car accessory shops.

If the 'van has its' own separte flush tank for the toilet you can add a diluted mixture of another chemical (usually pink in colour) that also freshens the bowl each time you flush. However, if the flush water is taken direct from the main fresh water tank then this is not advisable - for obvious reasons!!

If you search the various accessory outlets (google or magazines like MMM) you will also find newer 'greener' type additives that do not contain the same potentially harmful chemicals and it is also possible to have a 'SOG' unit fitted to the cassette that eliminates odours whilst the toilet is in use but does not require any additives.

Although I knew of someone who did use the solid blue blocks (normally used in domestic toilets) you have to be very careful about using other cleaning products as they can be harmful to the plastics and seals.

We once did buy a reversing camera kit from ebay but the screen didn't work ands had to be returned (to China) then came the fiddly job of fitting and routing the wiring. When I eventually did get it fitted it was a disappointing colour screen and didn't have sound (good when someone is behind the 'van - especially the wife!) or night function. Again there are some reasonably priced camera systems out there - Dave Newell does a good one and he often contributes to this forum so may be able to advise.

Once again, good luck and enjoy the 'van.

Regards, David

ps - ther is more discussion about this on the following posting:-

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6679&posts=18

Hi Karen and Welcome,

Congratulations on your new purchase and wish you many happy hours of fun using it.

I advise using only chemicals in your bathroom recommended by the manufacturer. Regarding general household polishes you might use to make the fittings shiney, such as pledge etc.. on any plastics, bitter experience has shown me that over a period of 12 months or so, constant use of this type of cleaner will damage bathroom and window plastics, it will craze the plastic.

It seems using pledge and the like on the plastic covered furniture doesn't cause a problem, but then these are items which usually don't get polished or cleaned with the same frequency as bathroom plastic furniture.

I have found dettol used sparingly in the bathroom, has had no detrimental effects over the last 3 years or so, but the chemical composition of these products changes over the years and new untested ones appear with a similar label. In general a cleaner with a little Isopropanol as part of its makeup, such as the original Dettol product, is okay to use sparingly, but always go by the makers recommendation.

Regards Terry

Hi Karen,

I'm possibly not the best person to advise on cameras as I sell them so could be thought of as biased. For what its worth though I only use either Waeco or Camos systems because I know I get full support for them if there is a problem. They are a lot dearer than those you get on E bay but I personally guarantee the systems I use and if a problem arises I know I can replace any or all of the system. This is not always so easy when you're dealing with a company in China (as commented above).

As for the Thetford question, well you don't actually have to use chemicals at all. One of our favourite sites is on a septic tank so chemicals are banned but as long as I empty the cassette every morning we don't have a problem with smells.

Might I suggest before you ask any questions though, that you read the manuals that should have come with your motorhome. We're all happy to help and answer any questions you might have but a lot can be avoided by a/ reading the instructions and b/ reading the FAQ thread at the top of this forum.

Happy camping, D.

First and most important bit of advice - make sure all the manuals are with the van and then, when you've got them, sit down and read them.  You will find they answer most of your questions.

Reversing cameras?  Good idea.  Off E-bay?  Some do, some don't.  Personally, I wouldn't, but then I wouldn't buy anything off e-bay, no matter how cheap it seems.  I like to see the goods, and see how they work, before I part with my cash.  You can't do that with technically complex bits of kit, like closed circuit TV, on e-bay. 

Remember it is absolutely imperative that the monitor is, or can be, reversed left to right.  It has to give a mirror image picture to be of any use.  If it doesn't, it will be downright dangerous as well as useless!  Also, decide before you buy if you want rear view, reversing assistance, or both.

The price, generally, reflects the quality.  I'd say go for a reputable make and unless you're adept at DIY, get it professionally installed.  Relative to the cost of the van, the camera isn't that costly.

Hello K&D,

I can only speak asI find, I bought ours from an e-bay seller and it is great, better than a Waeco one that it replaced and at less than half the cost at around £69+pp. A long story but suffice to say that a freind bought one and asked me to help fit it and so impressed was I that I got one myself to replace mine.

The major benefit is that the monitor is also a rear view mirror when not turned on and clips onto the existing mirror so is not 'on display' and can be removed and switched to a different van if required. It also has night vision and can be used as a rear view and as a reversing view or both auto switched when you select reverse gear. The seller I bought from, who is based in Kent no longer does mine but it is still available for only £35 now from Hong Kong sellers, one of the ones he now sells has built in reversing sensors that give a digital readout on the mirror as well as the image.

I have bought lots of things of e-bay and, so far have not had a problem even with things from HKong and China. They come normally within a few days the longest I have had to wait was one week.

because I have not had a problem does not mean others have not but with the amount of savings to be had I believe it is well worth the risk personaly.

Bas

My camera is a combination gadget, by Pioneer, has GPS, which it shares with rear camera on screen view, plus radio/dvd/cd player, but is costly.

Point I make here is camera has to be worthwhile, but practice with it, as the view can be distorted. Don't want to back into an obstacle that "apprears " far awayin the viwer.

Be wary of using chemicals that are not recommended by "Thertford"

especially ones in use for household toilets/bathrooms.

Some domestic versions may have incompatible chemicals with those marketed especially for the "mobile" user, whether boat, m/home or airplane ! Don't need odd smelling gases being created that will be worse than "natural" smells. And there may be a toxicity problem of such mixes.

Karen:

Motorhome forums can be invaluable for providing answers to very specific questions, but for general enquiries there will inevitably be subjective (sometimes even contradictory) views.

For motorhome novices I recommend the "Go Motorhoming" and "The Motorcaravan Manual" books (see www.VicariousBooks.co.uk). Once you've got a basic foundation of knowledge, you can focus on which subjects you need to seek further advice.

Archived