Full diesel tank!

bigjohnthecat

Hi I filled up my MH last year and owing to the present climate I have sorned it until next year!

Question is will the Diesel be ok in the tank? or should I take her for a Non Stop run and try and empty her? Then next year put a jerry can full in of fresh diesel? Your comments will be appreciated please thanks John

Old school diesel with its high sulphur levels could last years if correctly stored. Modern diesels though are reputed to last 6-12 months before they start to degrade and ‘gum up’ (RAC). So if I was to leave my van for 6 months unused I’d brim the diesel tank to avoid water gathering in the tank. Up to 8 months I’d probably do the same. 12 months or more I’d probably not want to risk damaging the engine so would drain the tank down.

I have just put an additive in a marine diesel tank to disperse water and avoid 'diesel bug' . Yor MoHo will probably be okay left alone, but for peace of mind you could put an additive in the tank. All marine store sell different makes. Water in marine tanks is quite common, due to condensation within the tank.

Archived