Slam panel removal 290 2015 Autotrail

tringy

I need to remove the slam panel to get at the boost sensor for replacement,the problem is I have removed the bolts on the slam panel that I can see and it is still tight.do I have to take the front grill off to get at more fixings?and how do I go about doing so. Help needed please.regards Tringy

I've not done it, but looking at eLearn for the X250 and the difference in grille/bumper on the X290, the procedure seems to be:

Disconnect the battery to isolate the airbag system.

Remove the top bolts on the crossmember.

Remove the front grille to give access to the forward facing bolts on each side, fixing the crossmember to the body and radiator respectively.

Detach the bonnet lid lock and the cold air intake pipe that runs between the back of the crossmember and the air filter box.

Disconnect the plugs from the airbag deceleration sensors on the underside of the crossmember and remove it from the vehicle.

As Mr. Haynes was fond of saying, reassemble in reverse order :-)

2024909126_Crossmemberfasteners.JPG.39b009bbf1337094eb61ef5bb9826527.JPG

Thanks very much for all your help it was very helpful and gave me a idea of how it comes apart but not quite the same as the x290.i now have got it all apart, lights out slam panel off and throttle body removed to gain access to the sensor which is now removed. I now have to order a new one and with the bosch part am trying to get the same replacement but a lot of online sites are saying that this part number is not compatible with my vehicle.l Know someone that works for Bosch automotive so I am going to try to get him to clarify what Part number is the correct one or are they all the same just different prices . Kind regards to all and thanks again. Tringy

It would appear that the Fiat original equipment (OE) part number for the boost sensor is 55219298 and, provided that a replacement matches the sensor’s OE specification, it SHOULD not matter about the manufacturer’s brand-name.

For example, the sensor from the German company VEMO and advertised here (VEMO Part Number V24-72-0099)

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/fiat/ducato-bus-250/116551/15020/boost-gauge

would seem to be suitable.

Me, I’d get in touch with a friendly Fiat Professional garage, provide them with details of the Ducato and ask them to confirm the Fiat OE number for the sensor (and ask them what they would charge for it).

(I assume you are replacing the Bosch-branded sensor because of the problem you reported last September, so I’m a mite surprised you would decide to replace the sensor with another Bosch part.)

Derek,Thanks yet again for your time and patience ,yes I see what you mean that about maybe replacing it with a different and possibly better part.you kindly sent me a link which I looked at but When I compare the engine codes they are not the same. The code on mine is FIAE3481E nothing like those shown on the link,I don’t know how much this matters so maybe I will have to try Fiat. Regards Tringy

My understanding is that a F1AE3481E engine-code relates to Fiat Ducato 2.3litre Multijet 150 Euro 5 and Euro 5+ powerplants. (That’s the code on the Certificate of Conformity of my 2015 Ducato that has a MJ 150 motor.) and that the F1AGL411A and F1AGL411C codes relate to, respectively, 2.3 litre MJ 2 150 and 180 Euro 6 motors.

A spare part may be specific to a make/model/specification of vehicle or (like a boost sensor) be suitable for different models and even different makes.

I’m near cetain that the VEMO V24-72-0099 boost sensor would be correct for your (and my) motorhome, but I suggest you discuss this with a Fiat Professional agent if you have doubts.

Thanks - that makes sense.

The relevant VEMO catalogue entry

https://tinyurl.com/yczw53qw

suggests that the V24-72-0099 sensor would be suitable for all X250/X290 Ducatos having a 2.3litre 150 MJ motor (ie. built from mid-2011 onwards) and for certain other vehicles too.

Assuming that the Bosch boost sensor Tringy is replacing was fitted when his Ducato was built, it won’t matter whether the Bosch reference number on the sensor conflicts with compatibility information on on-line sales sites. As long as Tringy obtains a Bosch sensor with exactly the same reference number, that sensor should be suitable for his Ducato. The alternative would be to think that, when his Ducato was built, an incorrect Bosch sensor might have been fitted to his motor, but that’s highly unlikely.

Archived